The best striker For Rangers last 20 years?

Who has been the main man ?

• Boyd

Votes: 228 19.5%
  • Miller

Votes: 75 6.4%
  • Prso

Votes: 90 7.7%
  • Novo

Votes: 17 1.5%
  • Mols

Votes: 260 22.2%
  • Jelavic

Votes: 241 20.6%
  • Lafferty

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Morelos

Votes: 433 37.0%
  • Arveladze

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • Lovenkrands

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • Naismith

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
Lyon and the game against Celtic we got beat.

Never really got the fuss, scored a couple of goals and we sold him for a profit aged 30.

I find it utterly embarrassing that some were painting him as a saviour to our 2011/2012 season, after he’d been released by Greek nobodies aged 34.

Going from Jelavic to him, jeez
Strangely enough, I can’t remember the game we lost against the scum!
Lyon one rings a bell.
The fascination for him comes solely from that outstanding game at the paedodome.
Even then, he still managed to get sent off.
Who knows how that would have panned out had the scum clown not followed him very soon after.

Morelos has 109 without being the main penalty taker. Still have to score them of course but still worth taking into account
Should never be a consideration, in my opinion.
Are there any other exclusions you think should be accounted fo?
Like having a hard shot?
Being good at free kicks?
Being strong in the air?

Morelos has 109 without being the main penalty taker. Still have to score them of course but still worth taking into account
Alfie also has around 45 more appearances to score those goals than Boyd did in that 2006-2010 spell.

109 in 213 so far for Alfie and 109 in 168 for Boyd in his first spell according to Transfermarkt.

Last edited:
Alfie is already a legend as is anyone who played in the 55 team IMO.

Add in his European scoring record and his name is in our history books.
Coisty had a crack about the level of opposition Alfie scored against. I thought it a little sour, but Alfie is not yet near the stature of Ally. Equally, I admire Alfie as much for the damage he does to opposition players/structure as his regular goal scoring.

It’s a very hard one.

I’m sure it’s not popular, but Kenny Miller’s form over the half season before he left is at levels I’ve never seen consistently from another striker in my 36 years, and his contribution in general in Walter’s second spell was excellent.

He’s not the ‘best’, but it’s a difficult poll and very much open to interpretation.

Gary Lineker is 61 years old and had more or less retired by 1992. The game has moved on and changed considerably since then. The old fashioned number 9 is practically a thing of the past, especially with top teams, for example theres no chance Inzaghi plays for one of the elite sides if he was playing now. Lineker was also trusted and played against the strongest opposition; I just don’t think you can look at a striker who was dropped for European games and regularly dropped for the biggest league fixture and call him your best striker. Your best striker is surely one of the first names on the team sheet when the biggest matches come around.
Your best striker since the 1800s and still today is the guy who puts the most balls in the net.

Coisty had a crack about the level of opposition Alfie scored against. I thought it a little sour, but Alfie is not yet near the stature of Ally. Equally, I admire Alfie as much for the damage he does to opposition players/structure as his regular goal scoring.

Somebody posted their respective European goals on here Brant & it was pretty similar levels of opposition.

I’d love to see it again, but forget who posted it.

Your best striker since the 1800s and still today is the guy who puts the most balls in the net.
So you’re saying our best striker wasn’t good enough to start a load of old firm games or start in Europe AT ALL but was still our best striker? Yeah I don’t think so.

But using this logic, Edouard was the best striker in Scotland last season and Nisbet was better than Morelos. Agreed?

Tbf, McCoist is probably right in terms of quality.

Its Alfie consistency of scoring in Europe that is all the more impressive. He has scored these goals in such a short period of time.

So you’re saying our best striker wasn’t good enough to start a load of old firm games or start in Europe AT ALL but was still our best striker? Yeah I don’t think so.

But using this logic, Edouard was the best striker in Scotland last season and Nisbet was better than Morelos. Agreed?
He rarely started in Europe its true, but Boyd did actually make the starting line-up on 11 occasions in Euro matches. Eight of them coming in his first full season 06/07.

Kenny Miller in 2009/10. especially before he left for Turkey was on another level. Banging in the goals left and right, making those runs and movements to get others into play. He was the complete player then.

Tbf, McCoist is probably right in terms of quality.

Its Alfie consistency of scoring in Europe that is all the more impressive. He has scored these goals in such a short period of time.

I think you should wait there until you see the list Davie. No meaningful difference for me.

I'm sorry but how can mols even come close to Boyd etc. People.voting on what he could have been and not what he was.

I loved Michael Mols & was truly excited by him while at the club. Still a big favourite of mine.

But you’re right. He has a massive chunk of the vote despite his true top period being outside the last 20 years.

Maybe the OP should make it last 25 years ?

Last edited:
All great forwards who brought something different to the game but personally went for Mols. Never saw a forward who could turn a centre inside out quite like him. But for that injury.

He rarely started in Europe its true, but Boyd did actually make the starting line-up on 11 occasions in Euro matches. Eight of them coming in his first full season 06/07.
You’re right of course, I’m mostly referring to Walter’s successful second stint where he wouldn’t have dreamed of giving Boyd a start in many of these games. Boyd’s domestic record is incredible, there was no one better or more reliable for getting you goals against SPL sides, as long as that SPL side wasn’t Celtic. For however it’s dressed up, one solitary goal against Celtic is really pretty bad for a man whose game was solely about goals.

But to be clear, league titles and cups are not won off the back of Old Firm games, but as a consequence of how you do in the other 34 league games too, and Boyd was an enormous part of our domestic success, no one can dispute that or take it away from him.

Played 3 good games for us, poor scoring record.

His 3 good games gets him a better rep than he should, Darcheville was miles better IMO.
Played 3 good games for us, poor scoring record.

His 3 good games gets him a better rep than he should, Darcheville was miles better IMO.
I know what you mean, the question is open to interpretation I guess. If it was talent/potential then he’s up there for me. Strong, quick, great control and a hell of a shot. But didn’t stay long enough or score enough to warrant being called out alongside Boyd, Jelavic etc.

Still an awesome player for me.

Love the thread.

Loads of great opinion here.

I went Miller as he knew how to fuuk them and raised to the occasion,and Alfie. What's not to love about AM.

I think you should wait there until you see the list Davie. No meaningful difference for me.

Would be an interesting list.

Off the top of my head, bear in mind my memory is shit, I reckon the top 5 would be from Ally's era which, granted, is a far longer period of time.
Juve
Inter Milan.
Leeds
Bayern Munich
Ajax
Marseille
Dinamo Kiev

Alfie
Porto
Bayer leverkusen
Lyon
Feyernood
Spartack moscow

The flip side may be that Ally played against more utter dross than Alfie

Valletta instantly springs to mind.

Boyd for me, fantastic scoring rate and breaking the all time SPL record the night he scored 4 against Dundee Utd, I believe

Negri & Patlane both got 5. Dundee U &
Dunfermline, but both pre SPFL I assume, definitely Derek.

Didn’t Morelos get 4 v Killie at Ibrox ?

I agree with nearly everybody’s choice. These lists are just a bit of fun as , for me you can change your mind in the split of a second.

Im going to go devils advocate here and say Prso, him with any player of the past 20 years upfront would be sheer profound world class. Dado + Morelos, Jelavic, Boyd etc.

Also someone I haven’t seen mentioned but deserves it for ability.

Daniel Cousin.

A key player in 3 championship wins with a glut of goals against the scum. Yeah it’s truly bizarre that anyone would vote for that :oops:
No Rangers Man would ever play for Celt!c, not to mention his locker room leaks to the Scumbag Scottish Press.

That plus he only always played for himself first, team second.

Not only far from being a Rangers Great, hes not worth a mention as an also ran.

It depends on what you class as "best" i suppose. From that list I would say;

- Boyd is clearly the most natural goalscorer, with ironically the least footballing ability.
- Pre injury Mols was simply sublime. The finest footballer to grace these shores imo.
- But for all round ability you have to go with Morelos. The only one who comes close to being an all round centre forward is Jelavic, but he wasn't here long enough to really be considered.

Tough one. Moms pre-injury is the best player in the list, but that period was over 20 years back. I want so much to vote Alfie, as he’s delivered for us on every level. Boyd is also in the running on account of the amount he scored. However, I have to go with Jelavic. He was the best all round finisher. I was devastated when he left. It also signalled the beginning of of a real dark spell for us.

Should never be a consideration, in my opinion.
Are there any other exclusions you think should be accounted fo?
Like having a hard shot?
Being good at free kicks?
Being strong in the air?
Having a free shot at goal from 12 yards is a huge difference to the above nonsense response.

Back