The better coached team won

Compared to us, I’d say they are fitter and faster. Their passing is direct and crisp. Their players seem to know what their job on the park is, and look to go forward with pace at every opportunity They also have a mentality that comes from winning just about every other domestic trophy.

Don’t get me wrong, a better celtic team would have put 4 past us in the first half alone, as they were basically gifted free shots from our penalty box. Frustratingly, they are still good enough to see us off for the third(!) season in a row.

Once again we stood off them and allowed them to play to their strengths. The biggest weakness is their defence, but we don’t test it nearly enough. We are too ponderous and lack conviction going forward to be a serious threat. One shot at goal today was evidence of that.

A phrase we sometimes heard about Gerrards rangers team. For spells we played patterns and repeatable movements that were effective as players all moved as one and exploited weakness in the opponent.

Today (and generally under Rodgers) they have looked a better coached team to us. That first goal they scored I swear I have seen about 215 times versus us at their midden.

This is something we need to address before next season. There is at times no discernible shape to our play/approach. This is as vital as getting rid of the born losers for me.
They have much better players than us which makes a big difference!

Why are folks ignoring the injury crisis when attacking the manager?

He plays with pacey wingers and all of ours are out injured.

Add in Jack, Ridvan and the CBs and you can see his hands are tied, we don't have the players, pace or fitness for what Clement wants right now

Clement is a winner and a very intelligent individual. Back him and we'll be fine.

I don’t think we are badly coached, I think we are getting by with what we have.

We’ve looked like a team with a plan and a set up in the majority of games, especially away in Europe against Betis and Benfica and in Clement’s first few months we were unbeaten.

In my mind the players have regressed to their mean, which is what we have witnessed under Gerrard, Gio and Beale previously.

Injuries have majorly hampered us too, almost a full 11 out injured who would make the starting eleven and substitute bench much stronger and would make a difference.

Think Phil deserves a proper transfer window

But I won't say I'm not concerned he's going the way of Gio vs them

Cup final will be a big test for him but in all honesty I'd do anything to have Gerrard in charge for that game right now

A phrase we sometimes heard about Gerrards rangers team. For spells we played patterns and repeatable movements that were effective as players all moved as one and exploited weakness in the opponent.

Today (and generally under Rodgers) they have looked a better coached team to us. That first goal they scored I swear I have seen about 215 times versus us at their midden.

This is something we need to address before next season. There is at times no discernible shape to our play/approach. This is as vital as getting rid of the born losers for me.
A panicked defence and midfielders not staying with their men is a pattern.
They shoot on sight. We don't which I'd a massive difference also

We are really unorganised in and out of possession. Cant play out, can’t keep possession and have no idea how to press properly.

We are unorganised at set pieces for and don’t try anything different.

We are an absolute shambles and a terrible watch.

This same approach he’s using against them will continue to produce the same results and he won’t change as he knows best.

They won because we gifted them 2 goals and we had a player sent off at half time , if that was any of the previous Celtic sides then they would have trounced us by 4/5

This is the poorest side to win the league in a very very long time
Gifted - we actually scored on and not for the first time this season.

Yet again, another predictable ref decision plays a major role in their win today.

The shocker of a challenge on McCausland at Ibrox against Motherwell wasn't even deemed to be a yellow card, never mind a red. The thug involved stayed on the pitch to score the winner and lose us 3 valuable points. Yet Lundstram is sent off. ?

Today had nothing to do with coaching.
I see the argument that coaching had no bearing but if it's not coaching it's players. Not one player showed anything we expect from our players in an old firm.

Yellow is the right call for Lundstram and Orielly dives. Regardless, we were toothless amd offered nothing. There has to be a point where we stop blaming the refs. Aye, the decisions are questionable but we very rarely deserve to take anything more than a draw from this fixture.

Add in Jack, Ridvan and the CBs and you can see his hands are tied, we don't have the players, pace or fitness for what Clement wants right now

Clement is a winner and a very intelligent individual. Back him and we'll be fine.

Please stop. Injury crisis isn’t an excuse for losing to Motherwell and Ross County and drawing with them at home and Dundee away.

If we continue to deploy Livingstone level tactics we will continue to lose these games.

Let's see in the final if Clement has eventually learned after 3 games that he can't play 2 midfielders and a number 10 in these games.
Aye Dr Livingstone

Yet again, another predictable ref decision plays a major role in their win today.

The shocker of a challenge on McCausland at Ibrox against Motherwell wasn't even deemed to be a yellow card, never mind a red. The thug involved stayed on the pitch to score the winner and lose us 3 valuable points. Yet Lundstram is sent off. ?

Mate you sound like one of them

We’re in the odd situation where other teams in the league play better against Celtic than we do. Genuinely - I have more confidence in a Hearts or Killie team taking points from them.

Combination of issues - our apparent blindness to Celtic’s strengths and weaknesses and our complete inability to counter/exploit them. Our shïte midfield and defence regularly gifting them freedom and goals. And mentality - we lack belief and mental strength in OF games these days.

Mix all of that together and it’s a sh!tshow.

We are a team that has been inherited mid-season.

There is a reason for that FFS.

This is nowhere near Clement's defining season. That might be next season when the manager starts his re-build.

For a team that is well coached they made heavy weather of that against ten men.

We are poor (which we knew already) but they clearly aren't a lot better.

They can spend next season of course which makes our task 2024/25 more difficult but I am optimistic for next season.

A cup win isn't guaranteed but could be a real kick-on going forward.

Finally, I'd take Clement's abilities over Rodgers any day.
Rodgers is a far better football coach than our Belgian master tactician, his players are faster, slicker, better passers of the ball, hungrier, and more determined, they seem to have a strategy when they are on the park, they know what they are doing, We in turn have the grand total of fcuk all, and haven't a clue what we are doing they might not be his players but he has been coaching them, the buck stops with him, he has to take some responsibility

WTF is Clements blueprint for success, what's our style of play, tbh most times ive watched we are brutal, long ball merchants unless we are playing the dross of the league, invariably giving the ball away and points too, our manager would do well to review our performances and at least try and introduce some kind of identity in our play.

I think we need to focus on the paucity of quality in our display rather than saying a referee decision lost us that today

Stonewall red card mate. He came from miles away, studs up, reckless, endangering the opponent while going through the man and all while out of control. No way was that a yellow. His indiscipline was the final nail in our challenge. There's controlled aggression which keeps you on the park and out of control aggression which costs the team. A good player knows what's what.

They won because we gifted them 2 goals and we had a player sent off at half time , if that was any of the previous Celtic sides then they would have trounced us by 4/5

This is the poorest side to win the league in a very very long time
They won because there better than us.

Better players move the ball better. Stronger squads help during the course of a season.

This super coach of theirs was in the grubber for long periods of the season with his own fans. Where was his coaching when he had injuries?

We don't really have the players yet to do too much different.

The manager has inherited an horrific squad. We all know it and I bet your bottom dollar the manager knows it.

He'll have to wring a bit more out of them for cup final day (I can see us winning it) and then his business should really begin.
You can see us winning it??? do me a favour,ffs, I can honestly see them handing our another pumping.

Rodgers is a far better football coach than our Belgian master tactician, his players are faster, slicker, better passers of the ball, hungrier, and more determined, they seem to have a strategy when they are on the park, they know what they are doing, We in turn have the grand total of fcuk all, and haven't a clue what we are doing they might not be his players but he has been coaching them, the buck stops with him, he has to take some responsibility

WTF is Clements blueprint for success, what's our style of play, tbh most times ive watched we are brutal, long ball merchants unless we are playing the dross of the league, invariably giving the ball away and points too, our manager would do well to review our performances and at least try and introduce some kind of identity in our play.
Go back and watch what we were doing when Cortes & Sima were available.

Today was all about Celtic having all their best players on the pitch whilst quite a few of ours were missing rather than Rodgers being a better coach than Clement

We tend to make Celtic look good - give them too much time and space and refuse point blank to track their players and close them down. I have no idea what these players work on in training but it doesn't help them as players.

So many times the ball was pumped out wide by Celtic and there was actually no one of our players even remotely close to the guy who then goes on a run. Then when put through the middle our players part like the sea and float off into positions where there are no Celtic players. Like they're actively trying to avoid them.

It's just weird. Even with the players we have it shouldn't be as easy as it is for them to get goals.

Please stop. Injury crisis isn’t an excuse for losing to Motherwell and Ross County and drawing with them at home and Dundee away.

Aye, let's just ignore the fact that all of our wingers / creativity and main summer signing have been absent for most of 2024.
I'll judge Clement when he has a fit squad that he's helped assemble.

Compared to us, I’d say they are fitter and faster. Their passing is direct and crisp. Their players seem to know what their job on the park is, and look to go forward with pace at every opportunity They also have a mentality that comes from winning just about every other domestic trophy.

Don’t get me wrong, a better celtic team would have put 4 past us in the first half alone, as they were basically gifted free shots from our penalty box. Frustratingly, they are still good enough to see us off for the third(!) season in a row.

Once again we stood off them and allowed them to play to their strengths. The biggest weakness is their defence, but we don’t test it nearly enough. We are too ponderous and lack conviction going forward to be a serious threat. One shot at goal today was evidence of that.
Yes, good summary.

Their default (even when leading) is to attack.
What's frustrating is that CFC's finishing was pretty poor, yet it was still enough to see us off.

No matter what players we put out, you can look at other domestic teams that have gone up against Celtc and matched/bested them, even with "lesser" players than what we possess.
Because they've been coached to a system.

It's mainly a coaching / management problem.
We have retained the same players for too long, with so many of them realising that they simply need to turn up to get a game for us.
Good coaches/managers would see the deficiencies and problems in their own players (especially after several months) and would plan and play selections and formations accordingly.

I really hope Clement can show that he can learn from this, because there's not been much sign of it yet.
Looking to next season, if we don't see fit and driven and able players playing to their own strengths, with improvements in defending and finishing, it'll be another struggle.

We also need to be signing faster players.
Our faster players are all out injured I’m sure sima Matondo or Cortes get back to help out for the first goal we need Athletes in the middle of the park hope Diomande can bulk up Sterling Raskin and couple of signings in middle of the park and find a way to keep players fit

Our "main" midfielder chucked tracking back against Ross County jobbers
Chucked it again today

Hes sitting on a league goal tally of 0 scored 1 OG

The continual playing of him by Gerrard, Beale and Clement is killing us

Yes, good summary.

Their default (even when leading) is to attack.
What's frustrating is that CFC's finishing was pretty poor, yet it was still enough to see us off.

No matter what players we put out, you can look at other domestic teams that have gone up against Celtc and matched/bested them, even with "lesser" players than what we possess.
Because they've been coached to a system.

It's mainly a coaching / management problem.
We have retained the same players for too long, with so many of them realising that they simply need to turn up to get a game for us.
Good coaches/managers would see the deficiencies and problems in their own players (especially after several months) and would plan and play selections and formations accordingly.

I really hope Clement can show that he can learn from this, because there's not been much sign of it yet.
Looking to next season, if we don't see fit and driven and able players playing to their own strengths, with improvements in defending and finishing, it'll be another struggle.
It's down to the ability of the players more than anything else.

You think if you swap the managers with the squads Clement isn't winning the league.

You read some utter shite on here, utter utter tripe.

We had many of our best players out injured while they were at full strength, conceded a stupid OG & reduced to ten men in the first half (thanks a bunch Lundstram), were penalised by a penalty that never was and were playing away with none of our fans in the ground but were still in the game up until the final whistle.

We have also been at the wrong end of some very dubious decisions against them this season. So I don't agree that they are better coached or even that their players are better.

Go back and watch what we were doing when Cortes & Sima were available.

Today was all about Celtic having all their best players on the pitch whilst quite a few of ours were missing rather than Rodgers being a better coach than Clement
Jesus fcuk, they have outplayed us consistently for years, your not trying to tell me that Clement is a better coach than Brenda are you, they have a system and a style of play, what is our system? What is our style.

Again.. They have the whole middle

Ccv/scales take it out, Lawrence leaves McGregor to close him down, pass it to O'Reilly, then pass to McGregor who is now free and we're all over the place.

It's so simple, yet effective... Every. Single. Time

Think we need to forget about Celtic and fix the problems in our team, some of which have been apparent for a number of years and have never been addressed.

We need:

A clinical finisher
Legs in midfield
Goalscoring wide players
Less error prone defenders

Where to begin? It’s not doable in one window IMO.

I’d start with the basis of the team being:

Butland
Tav / New / New / Yilmaz
Sterling / new / Diomande
New / new / New

That’s 6 new starters so we may have to go to be the loan market. Cortes or Sima would be a decent start.

Then we need to address the problem of Tavernier.

We are so reliant on his attacking output that we have to sacrifice our defensive shape. This needs to change, we need goals across the front 3 which negates the need for his goals.

Huge work to do but we’ll all be back with hope in August.

We had major injuries to starters in our team, possibly as much as six, that mob had their full squad to pick from. I find it difficult to criticise Rangers under those circumstances.
Let’s hope for a Scottish Cup victory which I think is possible.

Just made the same comment and got lambasted.

Fans are hurting right now and will not be thinking rationally, they will be wanting to lash our at the players and the club.

There is absolutely no doubt a horrendous injury list has once again hampered us. It is a serious problem that has hurt us for too long and we need to address for next season.

We need to get rid of players who spend too long on the treatment table. Obviously that means Jack and Roofe. And then there are those out of contract or simply not good enough.

We need a proper summer with logical transfers with players who are suitable for the team and not just signing players for the sake of signing players.

It doesn’t help when O’Riley runs from the touchline past 3 of our players & not one of them track him or even get close to him.
Correct. Pure individual errors. Silva and Borna were sleeping. What rips my knitting is that we seem to make two mistakes together and it usually results in a goal. And it happened again today…twice! Out of that starting eleven I reckon I would keep three.

Nah our players lack gonads. Pressure on performance off. You can’t coach players to win if they lack the ability to compete. The core of this team already got GvB and Beale the sack. Clement is a total stick on for 2024/25 unless he choses to walk away from this spineless lot.

He’s coped better when faced with lots of injuries.

It’s when he’s faced with more decisions and selections to make it starts to go wrong imo.

The players don’t like him (PC)

I can see it from body language and how the effort has dwindled this past few games.

I wish him well but a SCF loss could cost him big time.

The guy with a full squad to chose from, great financial backing (in comparison) and a club behind him who are not afraid to influence events off the field won today. We should never have been in a title race and I can't remember Clement ever having every player available for selection at any point since he came in, allowing him to play his strongest 11.

Some of Clements decisions have been strange but it's hard to coach a team that lose 4 players a week to long term injury.

It's always tough after the same old story but just look at what he has at his disposal. Ben Davies stated today for christ sake, I forgot he even played for us. On top of that Clement was without two of our main signings (Danillo and Cortes) and two of our main summer signings have been punted out on loan.

The whole season like last is an absolute shambles but Clement has been dealt a shocking hand.

They had fun , Let that set in

I somewhat disagree.

The amount of goals we've conceded this season through individual errors, players not tracking runners (both goals today) is an absolute joke.

You can't pin that on the manager.

This is where you start to look at the manager, I’m afraid.

We heard from him that the players had trained well and were fully prepared and focussed on what they had to do.

The game starts and there’s no real cohesion or conviction about anything we’re doing. Celtic are passing it much better than us and making cuter runs and interchanges we’re struggling to pick up which is gifting them a lot of space to have shots on our goal.

Red flag number one: what exactly is it we’re doing in training?

Red flag number two: is it that the players simply aren’t carrying out what they were told to? If not, why not?

The proviso of course, and it’s quite a big one, is that we have players that aren’t good enough, players that look more or less done and players that have at least partially checked out. On top of that we do have several players missing that could have made a difference.

In terms of pass marks for the season though, where is Clement sitting right now?

Personally I’d only give him 6/10, about what Beale got at the same stage last year.

They didn't have Lundstram. Or 8 key injuries.

Blob fish is no tactical genius.

Phil is showing signs of weakness playing some duds contributing nothing over and over. Add slow and weak in certain areas.

Rotten

We had major injuries to starters in our team, possibly as much as six, that mob had their full squad to pick from. I find it difficult to criticise Rangers under those circumstances.
Let’s hope for a Scottish Cup victory which I think is possible.
we played them at Ibrox at the start of the season when they had players out, a backline that had hardly met each other, for the most part they strolled it that day

Back