The Boca v River Derby

My old man was treated by his missus to a surprise 2 week break across Brazil and Argentina last October for his 60th...and the dates she'd booked had them flying home the day before these 2 played each other. He was as buzzing as I'd ever seen him about any trip until he realised what date he was flying home. Probably won't ever be that close to going to that game again. Devastated for him!

Got to be the ultimate bucket list derby match for anyone hasn't it?

Who has the biggest support between the 2 clubs and is one of them favoured over the other by most Gers fans?

Can't help but think the lack of away fans has taken away from it, glad to have experienced it with them in at Boca and also in Madrid for the Copa Lib Final. Argentina is another level for Football passion, incredible place. There are so many brilliant derbies there, Rosario Derby is brilliant.

Boca have the bigger support.

They have a saying: mitad + 1 (half plus one) to indicate how many people in the country who support the team.

I have always thought it was Boca, surprising to see that above regarding memberships if the numbers are correct - lot of variables though when it comes to memberships of Clubs.

The Old Firm doesn’t come anywhere near the River v Boca game. There is no comparison in terms of noise, passion, colour and overall spectacle and sense of occassion.

The OF is like a garden tea party when you compare the two. The OF is massively over hyped in Scotland.

'Mon the River Plate!
Atmosphere at games then yeah OF may be overrated but I think in terms of cultural influence, day to day life, politics etc it plays a much bigger part than the vast majority of derbies.

The media killed a bit of the derby in this country.

Anyway, would love to visit this derby, it does look incredible. Think next season I'm going to try a few more Scottish and English derbies if possible.

I have always thought it was Boca, surprising to see that above regarding memberships if the numbers are correct - lot of variables though when it comes to memberships of Clubs.

Obviously, the real answer is, I don't know, but every time I have heard anyone talking about this, who knows Argieball, then Boca are always thought of as having more supporters.

It's not a direct correlation: Celtic have more season ticket holders than us, but we have the bigger support.

Atmosphere at games then yeah OF may be overrated but I think in terms of cultural influence, day to day life, politics etc it plays a much bigger part than the vast majority of derbies.

Anyway, would love to visit this derby, it does look incredible. Think next season I'm going to try a few more Scottish and English derbies if possible.
Yeah, I'm taking about the actual atmosphere at OF games. It's nowhere near as good as many make it out to be.

It's not but you still do get brilliant ones. The semi final under Gio at Hampden was outstanding. Unfortunately a lot of those that moan about the lack of atmosphere contributed to that by moaning like big wummin constantly.
Bring back rationing - that will make them happy.

Obviously, the real answer is, I don't know, but every time I have heard anyone talking about this, who knows Argieball, then Boca are always thought of as having more supporters.

It's not a direct correlation: Celtic have more season ticket holders than us, but we have the bigger support.

Any idea if away fans are allowed in at the Rosario Derby? Pretty sure they aren't, one I would love to do. Just found this in a search, it's some rivalry!

Any idea if away fans are allowed in at the Rosario Derby? Pretty sure they aren't, one I would love to do. Just found this in a search, it's some rivalry!

Haven't watched any Argieball this season, so may be out of date, but away fans haven't been allowed in this clasico for quite a while.

The Rosario derby is probably the nuttiest in Argentina.

There's a thing called the banderazo where the players will go the stadium, before an away clasico, a couple of days before the game. The ground is absolutely mobbed with the fans singing for hours, letting off fireworks, banners galore etc...all to show what it means to them and to highlight to the players that they must give everyting when representing them in this game.

Haven't watched any Argieball this season, so may be out of date, but away fans haven't been allowed in this clasico for quite a while.

The Rosario derby is probably the nuttiest in Argentina.

There's a thing called the banderazo where the players will go the stadium, before an away clasico, a couple of days before the game. The ground is absolutely mobbed with the fans singing for hours, letting off fireworks, banners galore etc...all to show what it means to them and to highlight to the players that they must give everyting when representing them in this game.

I went in 2009 but couldn't get in, it's one of two matches I have tried for but not been able to get in. Was at Central and we went up to the Stadium and was a big ring of steel, could hear gunshots etc.. so we went to the pub quickly! Big regret not being prepared for it better as the atmosphere looked electric on tv as well as being in the City on the day of the match.

Just been reading this:

Pompey v Southampton?!

I don't think that's true although I don't actually have anything to base it on. River to me seem like they are the more popular club in Argentina.

Maybe it's one of those things like Juventus and Torino where Juventus are the most supported club in the country, but in the actual city it's Torino that are more popular ?

That said, I always preferred Boca over River but River's expanded stadium is absolutely immense and I'd love to go see that game there. 86k going absolutely mental.

I went in 2009 but couldn't get in, it's one of two matches I have tried for but not been able to get in. Was at Central and we went up to the Stadium and was a big ring of steel, could hear gunshots etc.. so we went to the pub quickly! Big regret not being prepared for it better as the atmosphere looked electric on tv as well as being in the City on the day of the match.

Just been reading this:

Would be an amazing experience as it is absolutely mental. Pity you couldn't get in.

Just back from Milan derby at weekend , you need to have skin in the game for you to actually feel it properly , yes it's a great spectacle but .......

I don't think that's true although I don't actually have anything to base it on. River to me seem like they are the more popular club in Argentina.

Maybe it's one of those things like Juventus and Torino where Juventus are the most supported club in the country, but in the actual city it's Torino that are more popular ?

That said, I always preferred Boca over River but River's expanded stadium is absolutely immense and I'd love to go see that game there. 86k going absolutely mental.

That stadium is the stuff of dreams.

And imagine the noise if there was a roof !

Not been to a derby but went to watch Boca play a Copa Libradores game. The atmosphere and match experience was great. Also did the stadium tour but that was nothing special. The ground is in a really dodgy part of the city.

Not been to a derby but went to watch Boca play a Copa Libradores game. The atmosphere and match experience was great. Also did the stadium tour but that was nothing special. The ground is in a really dodgy part of the city.

I thought the tour was really good, did in back to back years - saw all kinds and a brilliant museum and trophy room, good tour guides as well with opinions and in English, one lad wouldn't stop slagging off Martin Palermo! River was good to see and do but it wasn't in English so a big difference. During covid HomeFans did virtual tours at loads of Argy grounds, I did them all - must have been 8 Clubs, fan of the Club took them all and they were good. At the end of each tour I asked if they thought away fans would come back soon at the top Clubs, they all laughed and basically said no chance.

The Old Firm doesn’t come anywhere near the River v Boca game. There is no comparison in terms of noise, passion, colour and overall spectacle and sense of occassion.

The OF is like a garden tea party when you compare the two. The OF is massively over hyped in Scotland.

'Mon the River Plate!
rangers v scum has been watered down by pansies getting offended.

Spent all of January this year in Buenos Aires, went to both stadiums and was able to do the tour and musuem at River Plate, but it was close season so didn't get to see any games.. definitely want to go back to take in a game or two.
Fantastic city as well, more modern and cleaner than what i was expecting...

Why didn't you get in - just a lack of tickets?

It's definitely a city and a game to be wary of given the drug trade and supporter group involvement.

Why didn't you get in - just a lack of tickets?

It's definitely a city and a game to be wary of given the drug trade and supporter group involvement.

Couldn’t get a ticket mate, didn’t prepare well to be fair - learnt a lesson that day.

This was it, 15 year ago in 2 weeks.

Couldn’t get a ticket mate, didn’t prepare well to be fair - learnt a lesson that day.

This was it, 15 year ago in 2 weeks.

Madness in the away end at the goal!

It's only for league games that away supports are officially banned. Copa Argentina matches are often played at neutral venues, thus two supports are allowed. And away fans are allowed for Libertadores + Sudamericana fixtures.

Madness in the away end at the goal!

It's only for league games that away supports are officially banned. Copa Argentina matches are often played at neutral venues, thus two supports are allowed. And away fans are allowed for Libertadores + Sudamericana fixtures.

It’s one I’d love to go to and hope to at some point mate. Was lucky enough to have been in the away end with Newells fans at Racing back then - one of best supports I have seen, they never stopped all match. Also in the River end at San Lorenzo in a Copa Lib quarter final was brilliant. Not sure when is best to go - want to experience Argentina in the sunshine but also get some Copa Lib latter stage matches as well as league games one day. Both times I have been were in May.

Biggest Derby in the world, sorry to hurt a few on here but it's mental fans are mental before and after atmosphere looks incredible

Strange thing is over there they sometimes keep the home fans in after the match and let the away fans leave asap!
This happened to us in 2013 when Boca played River,this was the last time they were allowed in and they got them out the way first, which makes sense to be honest.

Playing each other 4-6 times a season spoils it a bit.
Only because we (as in our support) cried and got the allocation reduced.

Obviously River-Boca is bucket list stuff so people who do make the trip get to hype it up a bit.

The Superclasico was always more mental than the Old Firm, there's no shame in it as that rivalry to me is the most passionate on Earth, but there's no away fans allowed and it has suffered as a result. It was far better in the 90s and 00s.

The Old Firm deserves to be in the discussion alongside River-Boca - the only difference right now is there's no away fans at their games due to genuine mentalism while here it's a pure riddy reason of not wanting to have away fans in your own ground because we are absolute wet wipes. Thankfully that's being addressed a bit next season.

Not long back from Buenos Aires, went with 2 sons for bucket list trip. Amazing city, friendly locals and managed 6 games in Argentina and 1 in Uruguay.
Went to Boca game as part with a tour as tickets not easy to get, great atmosphere but did go flat for periods whilst they were 1-0 down. They won 2 -1 and great again, local we spoke to after in bar saying we lucky game was on a Saturday as Sunday games not so lively as folk work next day etc.
Independiente fans were constant all game and another great atmosphere, great bars near ground. Their original badge was a saltire and plenty around ground as a Scotsman helped formed them.
Thought the loudest and best atmosphere we saw was San Lorenzo in a copa libertarores game vs palmerias from Brazil.
Only games with away fans was that and one in Uruguay for a copa sudamerica match.
Was an fantastic trip we'll worth it, loved the huge terraces which took me back and gotta help the atmospheres.
The noise levels up there with our big European nights for random league games.

Back