"The Champions"

attack-hands

Noticed that in the Hibs game commentary on Sportscene, Celtic were referred to as "The Champions". It's something the BBC do quite often.

Now it is traditional and technically right, but its months into a new season. Even when Rangers won the league I only really thought of us as winners till the next one began.

So at what point is it acceptable to stop using this term?

Noticed that in the Hibs game commentary on Sportscene, Celtic were referred to as "The Champions". It's something the BBC do quite often.

Now it is traditional and technically right, but its months into a new season. Even when Rangers won the league I only really thought of us as winners till the next one began.

Think you’re looking for something to be annoyed about mate.

The Champions are The Champions until someone else takes it from them.
When were on top we were referred to in exactly the same way.

SMSM 101:

They hate us and love them (purely out of fear of Lawwell and Harper MacLeod, of course)

If they have an opportunity to make them sound amazing, they will take it. Same way they will make us sound shite when they can.

All of that said mind you, it's factually correct and that should dominate our players minds.

Growing up during nine in a row means that whenever I hear a team described as "the Champions", I think they're referring to us. When it's them, I always have to do a mental double take.

Still think "We are the Champions" is our song though.

"The Champions are in 3rd place with two games in hand on THE team above them"

giphy.gif

It's less to do with the terminology, more that I've just noticed that (especially on Sportsound), its more often than not the default name for Celtic. Eg. 'The Champions travel to easter road' or the 'Champions hoping to narrow the gap at the top'.

Either I think they just enjoy saying it, or it just irks me more that we aren't back in that position.

I guess the only way to compare is to listen out in the season after 55!

Until they're not champions.

Liam mcleod says it every second sentence then exchanges it for the hoops on the reverse sentence for parity. He'll then throw in an 'invincibles' link at least twice per commentary for nostalgic reasons. He's fecking torture to listen to, especially when they score as he comes in his pants every time. He's a fanboy though so can't expect anything different.

They are last seasons champions. In the same way we are 54 time champions. You won't see the BBC print that too often.

Back