The children's TV name who played for Rangers

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Charles Chalk born 1876, died 1945.

Born in Gibraltar in 1876, I would think the first ever Rangers player who had been born there.
A right winger, Charlie Chalk made 8 first team appearances in 1904, four in the league and the others in the inter city league. Scored once, against Airdrie.

Went on to play for Hamilton, East Stirling, Dumbarton and Partick Thistle. His only appearance for Thistle being a defeat to Bathgate in the Scottish Qualifying Cup in October 1909.

Must be the only kid's TV character to ever play for us!

(For those younger than me, Charlie Chalk was an 80s children's television show, same kind of puppet animation as Postman Pat).

You can tell I'm bored today :))

Last edited:
Charles Chalk born 1976, died 1945.

Born in Gibraltar in 1976, I would think the first ever Rangers player who had been born there.
A right winger, Charlie Chalk made 8 first team appearances in 1904, four in the league and the others in the inter city league. Scored once, against Airdrie.

Went on to play for Hamilton, East Stirling, Dumbarton and Partick Thistle. His only appearance for Thistle being a defeat to Bathgate in the Scottish Qualifying Cup in October 1909.

(For those younger than me, Charlie Chalk was an 80s children's television show, same kind of puppet animation as Postman Pat).

This some kind of terminator timeline?

Born in Gibraltar in 1976, I would think the first ever Rangers player who had been born there.

was he in Dr Who?

Not sure there was much childrens TV in 1876 (which I'm guessing you meant to post).

The question should be why they named a children's series after a Rangers player.

You got me there,
I take it you mean born in 1876.

I know you mean 1876.
However, it is an interesting and obscure name from our history.

Just as a bit of a narrative change, I wonder if Graeme Spiers knows what religion Charlie was?
After all, that itself defines the Rangers player in his mind.
I wonder if anyone anywhere ever knew, cared, or asked Charlie what religion he was?
Is it written in some dark archive kept in an Ibrox vault?
We should be told.

Back