The club has to take legal action against Helen Martin from the Edinburgh Evening News

Jelle1880

I thought I had read the worst but this one takes the cake, claiming the club does nothing to battle sectarian chants and is even complicit in it. I would honestly demand that supporters associations take this up with the club and they file legal charges, this is completely beyond any sense of normality.

How can Scotland deal with Rangers? That’s become a vital, complex, risky question for both the police and the Scottish Government. The “fans” who have wrecked George Square twice are not necessarily driven by their love of football and their pride of the team and club.

It’s quite clear that they are a sectarian mob, singing songs and yelling about killing Catholics. Dressing in a Rangers outfit is not their choice. They are violent and foul Unionists waving Union Jacks and wearing red, white and blue hats, fighting with each other, chucking missiles at police, urinating wherever they are standing or staggering, starting fires, smashing benches and ruining the Square.

They are not all from Glasgow, of course. A reasonable percentage are from Northern Ireland, taking part in Orange walks and supporting the Protestant paramilitaries. That’s not because they are worshipping members of a Protestant church, it’s because they hate and are at war with Catholics. All that, along with sectarian chants during matches, isn’t about genuine admiration of the football team. They’ve managed to nail it as a permitted club gathering and opportunity to celebrate their hatred.

If anyone feels sorry for the Rangers club and thinks they are suffering from foul fans, they are not considering how this evil, vile, vindictive association has been allowed by the club for decades, letting it grow into a mob attacking Glasgow centre. We can’t be 100 per cent sure that most of the executives have the same attitudes as the obnoxious “fans”, but they have permitted sectarian songs, and don’t seem to have any method of banning swearing, violent troublemakers. All the club does is get the thugs to walk away from Ibrox, with no responsibility for where they’ll go and what they’ll do.

Rangers FC should, certainly by now, be trying to find some way to control or reject these disgusting “fans”. But of course, it’s quite likely there were some in the shocking, slummy, George Square gathering who haven’t actually had season tickets or even been to a match, rather just watching it on TV. Their “club” is for violence, vandalism and fighting, not following football.
Today, as well as their hideous criminality and revolting existence in the Square, they have potentially added to a rise of Covid-19, given that Glasgow is already keeping restrictions because of the India variant.
Along with that they are giving the impression (if not a vow) of threatening the majority of the country who voted against Brexit, who want to leave the UK and rejoin the EU. Unionist politicians don’t physically fight, but Unionist, sectarian Rangers could.

What can the government do? They must be trying to figure that out. Can they shut Rangers down? The Club could pay for George Square repairs… but will they? They should pay millions to hire security firms to deal with their dangerous, loathed “fans”.
And any genuine Rangers supporter who is intelligent and moral should opt out – especially Tory politicians like Murdo Fraser – to avoid shame.

How do we "deal " with this group. ? It seems like she's looking for a Final Solution, with echoes of 1930's Germany in that poisonous article. I'd be exhausted if I were her, carrying around all that anti-Protestant bigotry and hatred. She sounds mentally ill, tbh.

Last edited:
Propaganda war in full swing, Have a UJ, you’re a fascist. Be from Northern Ireland (as I am) you’re a sectarian bigot. Lovely civic nationalism. I feel completely unwelcome here now, I have to be honest, and I know I live a pretty decent life and treat people well, no matter their background. If it wasn’t for my daughter being here, I’d be down the road or over the water as fast as I could.

Tommy Sheridan has posted similar today claiming that The Billy Boys is sung every week without challenge at Ibrox.

Simply lies with the serial liar having no hint of irony about him whwn he goes on to compare both teams' history.

Both these article are inflammatory as well as downright lies. And Rangers must challenge both and make an example of this ant Rangers rhetoric.

Saw this article earlier and signed up to comment on it then thought about the audience. Waste of time.

The only way this bitch will understand is if a citation lands on her carpet. Hopefully she’ll be sweating soon.

You could have eaten your dinner off the floor in George Square on Sunday morning. Some recovery from the ''War Zone'' it was 12 hours earlier.
A couple of benches that we paid to be replaced that's all that was "wrecked". No looting no damage to any buildings. Part of me wishes the young team had burnt the Chambers to the ground the way people are going on.

This one could be the one to be taken to task, Sickening! I hope the club lawyer up and go after this type of dangerous clown.

Why would an editor even allow this to be printed

She’s ‘retired’ according to her twitter bio.

Getting one published for the road perhaps, certainly seems like she has been carrying around this ‘article’ of hatred and bile for a while.

Unsurprisingly her twitter feed is ‘Now That’s What I Call A Nat Volume 76’ in its contents.

The mask has most certainly slipped

That is an absolutely horrendous attack on our club and every single one of us

Out of interest I wonder if there are any articles attributed to her in relation to Hibs fans 'excuberance' after the cup final when their fans encroached onto the field whilst attacking Rangers players and fans given she represents Edinburgh news

Last edited:
The board will ave lost every ounce of goodwill from me if that statement today is all they come up with. An absolute disgrace what the press and politicians are getting away with today. Its funny, and the pain is enjoyable, but only if the club rip them to shreds.
Agreed.

Often I think a statement is fine but this is actually insinuating that people within the club are fine with sectarianism. Not just that but actively make sure it goes unpunished.

I hope the club genuinely sues her into oblivion.

Won’t have much joy in the courts, journalists can get away with saying stuff like this.

Back