The Courier - Derek Johnstone: 1970 League Cup Final winner was the stuff of dreams - plus rare pics

I can remember it like yesterday, my first old firm game. Can even remember where my dad parked. Happy days.

Great read!!!

I was there that day in the Rangers End with my pals and I remember that goal. With all the success that Celtic had been having, we needed that win and that cup so much. It was extra special. I remember in school the next day there were boys walking around in Rangers scarfs and one even brought a banner in.

The first Rangers trophy for me as a young Rangers supporter .

I remember reading and rereading the Sunday papers match reports and then seeing the goal on The Big Match that afternoon.

To say I was proud to have my team finally get one over on that mob is an understatement.

He was my first Rangers hero when I was growing up abd going to games in the 70s.

Cool story alert........ :rolleyes: :))

I was in a pub in Bridge of Weir about 1996 and he was in there, I was like a big wean asking for his autograph. He took a beer mat and signed it for me and shook my hand. Made my day.

I know Derek has taken stick over the years on here (from me also) for being an ‘Uncle Tom’ and getting Rangers history facts wrong on RC, BUT as a player he is a legend, absolutely no doubt about that.

Interesting also to read Derek saying his goal in the 1970 LCF seemed to be in slow motion, as that was how it appeared to me, standing directly behind the goal.

And how many young football ‘stars’ would take their mum’s to a European Final, that was a really nice touch by the big fellow!

That was a really good read about Derek and his Family and his journey with Rangers.

ps I called my first born son Derek

Iv said before on here in other threads he had a picture of that goal on his mums wall in fintry and the ball is just going past williams hand. You could almost see the agony on the goalies face. A great pic

One of my all time favourite Rangers players!
Him and wee Calamero were a deadly due.
Happy Birthday big man your still loved in this household.

I know Derek has taken stick over the years on here (from me also) for being an ‘Uncle Tom’ and getting Rangers history facts wrong on RC, BUT as a player he is a legend, absolutely no doubt about that.

Interesting also to read Derek saying his goal in the 1970 LCF seemed to be in slow motion, as that was how it appeared to me, standing directly behind the goal.

And how many young football ‘stars’ would take their mum’s to a European Final, that was a really nice touch by the big fellow!

That was a really good read about Derek and his Family and his journey with Rangers.

Lots of sons called Derek about that time. After Johnstone and Parlane.

I think I must have some sort of brain disorder. I always seem to remember all these iconic moments in slow motion and this is another one.

The ball coming over, DJ rising between the defenders, perfect header and the ball in the back of the poke all seemed to take minutes rather than seconds. And then bedlam, everything going at twice the speed. :D

This was all the more special in that it was our first pot for a bit.

He was my first Rangers hero when I was growing up abd going to games in the 70s.

Cool story alert........ :rolleyes: :))

I was in a pub in Bridge of Weir about 1996 and he was in there, I was like a big wean asking for his autograph. He took a beer mat and signed it for me and shook my hand. Made my day.

Very good player was DJ. Bad attitude though. Never seen the pic with the Gers players wearing the Moscow Dynamo tops before.

Very good player was DJ. Bad attitude though. Never seen the pic with the Gers players wearing the Moscow Dynamo tops before.

Did somebody hit you on the head with a coconut.....?

I was at his 1st game against cowdenbeath. Sure he scored 2 that day and we won 5-0.

Pretty sure that was my 2nd rangers game,as yet again I was left down the front as the old man and my uncle moved further back with the brown paper bag.

Big DJ scored many a great and vital goal for the RANGERS cause up front.

And when required was always dependable when playing at centre half.

A RANGERS great, there is no doubt of that.

I'm really privelidged to have seen him since he made his debut for us.

My brother was born 5 weeks later in early December and is called after him.

If Big DJ's winner was slow motion then Big Tam's winner was an eternity going in.

At 15:40 it will be 50 years exactly, since one of the most important goals in our history, was scored by a 16 year old schoolboy.

Raise a glass at that moment, to our hero and Rangers great, Derek Johnstone.

I did.
50 years, 50 bloody years.
North Enclosure with the auld yin that afternoon.

I did.
50 years, 50 bloody years.
North Enclosure with the auld yin that afternoon.
I was only 11 and wasn't allowed to go to games against them. I remember the excitement later that night, watching on black & white tv, Ronnie McKinnon lift the cup, for what seemed like a fleeting moment.

I was playing U-13 football that day at Croftfoot rec. As soon as it finished me and the mate ran like eff to Hampden to catch the tail-end. As we were getting in for free we "elected" for the main stand. FFS it was like walking into a party. Still about 10-15mins to go and it seemed everyone was steaming, happy, singing(including the women). So I never saw the goal but saw them get the cup, which as has been mentioned, was significant as we had won nothing in years.

At 15:40 it will be 50 years exactly, since one of the most important goals in our history, was scored by a 16 year old schoolboy.

Raise a glass at that moment, to our hero and Rangers great, Derek Johnstone.

14 I was at the time and the fella that used to take his brother and me to games never got my pal or me any Tkt so we just had to get info back home in the Drum.

Before. DJ, it was Kai Johansen in 66 Scottish cup final also against the deodorant avoiders.

I wasn't at the game but I remember we were hanging around Kings Park when the roar went up. We went back to my house to listen to the second half (that was all you got then) and it was the first success for 4 years, a long time when you're 12.
Similar article in the Herald today, in it DJ mentions Denis Law's family was a big Rangers family.

A great read Mark I was 20yrs at that time and right behind the goal its amazing to think we were in a crowd like that size all the best to Big Derek.

A great read Mark I was 20yrs at that time and right behind the goal its amazing to think we were in a crowd like that size all the best to Big Derek.
Was there as well as a 15 year old behind the goal, can still mind as if it was last week, first trophy I seen us win and the Rangers end when it went in, its indescribable to fans who never experienced packed terracing.

I recall big DJ talking about the goal on RC he says ' looked over to the right wing the ball is floated over and I just said to McNeil and Jim Craig ' Excuse me gents' as I nipped between them to rise to meet the ball and put it past the keeper'. I thought that was brilliant banter nipped in between 2 European Cup winning defender's who kept the mighty Inter at bay but couldn't handle a 16 year old kid. Class!

I met him at a Burns supper a few years ago where I had a bit of a drink in me, was a bit nervous meeting him, I tried to be funny and it just came out all wrong and me being rude. A moment I can never take back and wish I could apologise. It's something that haunts me to this day as dramatic as that sounds.
I even sent emails to Clyde 1 and to the paper column he wrote for, with an apology but had no response unsurprisingly.

In the 1970 League Cup pick and the 1984 Dundee United pic, he is wearing Puma boots. Did he have a boot deal with them all those years?

That was a brilliant read.
The picture of him running beside Billy McNeill, ffs, he was only 16, he looked huge.
I was only 6 at the time of the Cup final so have no memories of it apart from seeing his goal at various times but what a player he was for us & had the pleasure of watching him on so many occasions.
He was one of the best headers of a ball I've ever seen.

Back