The day after the night before

Isje 931

A bit calmer today after last night.

We set up too defensively and was always going to be a matter of time before they scored with the amount of possession they were receiving in the final third. Two main issues defensively were

1. Barisic shit scared of Bakayoko and standing too far off him. He has to be more aggressive but Barisic is Barisic sadly.

2. Cifuentes/tavernier. They actually started the game pretty well together and I thought for the first 20 or do minutes Cifuentes was doing his defensive duties pretty well. At fault for the first goal and from then on we were in trouble.

Midfield.

I wanted Jack and Lundstram from the off as I felt we needed that security. Cifuentes in their added more legs but for me if we had went jack it would of opened Tavernier up a bit more to get forward. We lacked width and an attacking presence all game . Still feel we really need a big fast physically commanding CDM

Upfront.

Dessers had nothing all game to work with. Can't fathom the jump on him after last night.

Matondo tried and was our only outball. From very early on though it was glaringly obvious Teze (. Who was fantastic). Had him all but matched for pace. Probably should of switched him to the right hand side earlier in the game.

Definetley beaten by a team with better players that shine in big moments. Over the two legs its my opinion we lost it in the centre of midfield. We had big moments over the two legs that we've failed to capitalise on.

We set up too defensively and was always going to be a matter of time before they scored with the amount of possession they were receiving in the final third. Two main issues defensively were

1. Barisic shit scared of Bakayoko and standing too far off him. He has to be more aggressive but Barisic is Barisic sadly.

2. Cifuentes/tavernier. They actually started the game pretty well together and I thought for the first 20 or do minutes Cifuentes was doing his defensive duties pretty well. At fault for the first goal and from then on we were in trouble.

Midfield.

I wanted Jack and Lundstram from the off as I felt we needed that security. Cifuentes in their added more legs but for me if we had went jack it would of opened Tavernier up a bit more to get forward. We lacked width and an attacking presence all game . Still feel we really need a big fast physically commanding CDM

Upfront.

Dessers had nothing all game to work with. Can't fathom the jump on him after last night.

Matondo tried and was our only outball. From very early on though it was glaringly obvious Teze (. Who was fantastic). Had him all but matched for pace. Probably should of switched him to the right hand side earlier in the game.

Definetley beaten by a team with better players that shine in big moments. Over the two legs its my opinion we lost it in the centre of midfield. We had big moments over the two legs that we've failed to capitalise on.
Barisic was absolutely fine last night, it was when he went off the problems occurred

Midfield.

Upfront.

Are you conveniently forgetting about him being through on the keeper and shooting wide?

Don't get many chances at that level and he failed.

Midfield.

Upfront.

every single game Tav and Borna take too long to get out to the wide player, they just sit and wait for them to come and its heart in mouth every time.

I've had another 12 hrs to digest my feelings and I'm at the same point we are shit, alarmingly shit!

every single game Tav and Borna take too long to get out to the wide player, they just sit and wait for them to come and its heart in mouth every time.
Can't say that I've noticed this previously but, last night this was glaringly obvious. Why was it like that? Was this to do with the tactics we employed or, poor decisions by our fullbacks?
Surely it must have been tactics cos, you'd think if it was poor decisions by our fullbacks, they would have learned from it after the first couple of times but, this happened time after time after time.

Can't say that I've noticed this previously but, last night this was glaringly obvious. Why was it like that? Was this to do with the tactics we employed or, poor decisions by our fullbacks?
Surely it must have been tactics cos, you'd think if it was poor decisions by our fullbacks, they would have learned from it after the first couple of times but, this happened time after time after time.

It's quite common for teams to defend narrow.

Midfield.

Upfront.

Barisic went off at 1-0 in a game that we lost 5-1 and he is one of our two main defensive issues?

Midfield.

Upfront.

You must have watched a different game to me.
Borna was fine and it was when he went off that we struggled, who knew not buying a LB would bite us in the arse.
Cifuentes was terrible from 1st to last minute. Never closed players down, passing was shambolic and lost his runner.
Dessers is lazy. If you arent getting service go and get the ball. He isnt fit either

He was targeted all game by them. You trying to say we lost 5-1 because he went off. Sad day
You are trying to say one of our main defensive problems was a guy that came off at 1-0.

The scoreline shows you it got worse when he went off.

It's quite common for teams to defend narrow.
I get that but, the time and space we allowed psv to get the ball out to either flank was alarming and, the only surprise was it took psv some time to capitalise from crosses from the flanks.

Are you conveniently forgetting about him being through on the keeper and shooting wide?

Don't get many chances at that level and he failed.
To be fair, that effort was ruled offside, so technically, Rangers first effort/attempt on goal was in the 55th minute, shortly after going two down, (Cifuentes firing high over the bar).

With time to reflect I am severely disillusioned with the lack of progress in a definitive style of play. Last night was a team lacking in any confidence with the majority of players looking hugely out of their depth against decent opponents.
Also each player clearly didnt know what their role and responsibility was last night. Complete disarray.

Borna was a bit stand off-ish but Bakayoko was quickly and coming inside onto Borna’s right. Bigger problems when Borna went off.

Tav was Tav. He got a number, he wasn’t great against them when they attacked.

But the big problem was Cifuentes. He done nothing to protect the defence. He started poorly and got worse. Raskin was almost as bad on the other side.

A good PSV side, they are not brilliant, pulled us apart. Nobody except the keeper played well and our set up continually invites wide players and overlaps onto us. When we had chances to counter first half, nobody could pick the obvious pass to Matondo.

Problem is Beale trying to shoehorn players into a system instead of buying players that for more naturally. Cifuentes is our Arfield replacment - we wouldn't have played him at defensive right mid. Cifu weakness is tracking runners (he's a box to box attacking mid)

Midfield.

Upfront.

So we were too defensive but you wanted Lundstram and Jack to start, two defensive midfielders?

Still scunnered....the whole midfield were non existent,non triers last night.
Cantwell stoats about thinking he's the next jack grealish,poncing about with his hair,whilst doing niggly fouls and square root of %^*& all.
Defensively,we're a shambles,goldson & souttar aint for me the best pairing,tav for all his goals and.assists,keeps getting caught out of position,as does borna.
Up front,we've nothing to put fear into defences,gone are the glory days of hateley & mc coist rampaging.

This rebuild is going to take a lot of time,money & patience,something the bears are not renowned for,they want success yesterday.

Back