The day the great Eusebio was almost killed in the Benfica stadium

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Found this totally by accident while researching an idea I have for a book. Made me try to find out what happened behind this short article in the Evening Times.

In late 1966, Benfica had a heated jacuzzi / massage pool fitted in their Estadio De Luz, and it was used for the first time on December 5th. Seven of their players decided to try it out after training, amongst them the great Eusebio. There was an electrical fault with the water heating system, causing all seven players to be electrocuted. One of the players, Jaime Graca, suffered convulsions but was able to clamber out of the water. Luckily, he was a trained electrician from before he became a professional player, and he recognised what had happened and managed to switch off the power source.
Eusebio and two others suffered burns, a further two lost consciousness, and tragically the defender Luciano Fernandes was killed. He had been the first into the water and was the only one to be fully submerged.

A massive crowd lined the streets at his funeral in The Algarve a few days later.

American supplier Whirlpool would later admit to a faulty installation. Portuguese football was on a massive high at the time, their great team had just finished third in the World Cup in England that summer, with Eusebio the tournament top scorer. If not for the quick actions of his teammate Graca, every chance one of the greatest footballers in the history of the game would have perished along with several of his Benfica colleagues. Benfica went on to win the next 3 league titles and reach the final of the European Cup in 1968. As a mark of respect, the team requested they play in black for the remainder of the 1966/67 season.

Surprised I had never heard of this before.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back