The English Game -Netflix

Anyone else watching this?, written by Julian Fellowes, the guy behind Downton Abbey. Quite enjoying it although I’m not sure how factually accurate it is.

I posted about it in the lounge as I have watched them all. i really enjoyed it as I found it interesting and well acted and its about football so all plus points for me. As for it being accurate, Im pretty sure its mostly accurate as the characters are real people and did play for Darwen and Fergus played for Blackburn.

this is a bit more info

I posted about it in the lounge as I have watched them all. i really enjoyed it as I found it interesting and well acted and its about football so all plus points for me. As for it being accurate, Im pretty sure its mostly accurate as the characters are real people and did play for Darwen and Fergus played for Blackburn.

this is a bit more info

He did, but it shows him as winning the FA cup with a Blackburn club - it wasn’t Blackburn Rovers (his team) but another team called Blackburn Olympic who were the first working class team to win it . Wee bit of artistic license to make the story more romantic

He did, but it shows him as winning the FA cup with a Blackburn club - it wasn’t Blackburn Rovers (his team) but another team called Blackburn Olympic who were the first working class team to win it . Wee bit of artistic license to make the story more romantic

Suter won three FA Cup winner medals. A great achievement by any standards. :)

yeah, thats why I said it wasnt totally correct.. anyway, I enjoyed it..:)

I enjoyed it.
There is a thread of truth to it and I would imagine it has been given a huge slice of a theatrical licence to make it more interesting as a story.
Overall it worked, the characters were interesting their side stories made it more human and football as a historical subject was given an awful lot of serious consideration.
Could easily be turned into a series following the game's development through the decades and around the world.

Anyone else watching this?, written by Julian Fellowes, the guy behind Downton Abbey. Quite enjoying it although I’m not sure how factually accurate it is.

I've watched them all and enjoyed it.

Like you, I've got my doubts about how factually true it is, but was still a decent enough drama, with the football backdrop a wee bonus.

Yes, it wasn't historically accurate for the purist, but in general, it gave the story of early football and its development some respect although a certain artistic flavour was added to make it more interesting as a story for an audience not totally made up of football fans.
Adhering to a more factual line might have been okay in a documentary but perhaps not in a drama.

yeah, thats why I said it wasnt totally correct.. anyway, I enjoyed it..:)
True but Blackburn Rovers won their first FA cup by beating Queens Park (either 1884 or 1885) who up till 2019 were an amateur club. They played in two Fa finals the only Scottish club to have played in the FA cup

True but Blackburn Rovers won their first FA cup by beating Queens Park (either 1884 or 1885) who up till 2019 were an amateur club. They played in two Fa finals the only Scottish club to have played in the FA cup
They may have been the only Scottish club in the final of the FA Cup but Rangers also made the semi’s one year, and the likes of Renton also enjoyed successful runs

No they weren't the only Scottish club to play in the FA cup.
Rangers also competed and I am sure reached the semi-final.
Indeed Rangers were an early member of the FA and our membership pre-dated that of many well known and famous English clubs today.

They may have been the only Scottish club in the final of the FA Cup but Rangers also made the semi’s one year, and the likes of Renton also enjoyed successful runs
I thought I had said FA cup final must have missed out the word final. Thistle,Third Lanark,Hearts And Rangers entered the 1885-1886 but Rangers and Hearts withdrew, They all entered the next year and Renton and Cowlairs joined them, Sorry about the confusion will proof read my posts in furure

Good series, knew about the public schools origin of the FA but think it is often omitted from history.

I enjoyed it. Heard something about it, before it came out, by one of the writers. He said they'd dramatised it based on facts. It didn't suit the story for Suter not to be part of the first working class winners, so they created the team "Blackburn" whereas Suter's team Blackburn Rovers won the cup the year after Blackburn Olympic won it.
As an aside, Partick Thistle beat Blackburn Olympic in the FA Cup in 1886/7.

this is a bit more info

Did they really have the pitchforks out outside the Mill etc?

I'm really enjoying it so far.

Lot of trouble at t'mill northern england cliches. Coming from the posh bloke an ex public schoolboy who writes downtown Abbey . Very little to do with football factually but more about the social attitudes and stereotypes that still exists to this day.

I quite enjoyed this. I thought the 2 Scottish lads were excellent. As was the wee lad that used to be in shameless.

Quite enjoyed this series, just a pity it wasn't more factually accurate.

What bits weren't accurate mate? Was always wondering what was real and what wasn't.

I hate it when something is made out to be a 'true story' then you realise there's only a tenous link to truth.

Back