The enigma that is Joe Aribo

Scaramanga

I wonder what happens to him in these games? I mentioned it after Thursday but I’m a huge fan of him, he’s such a gifted player and we’ve seen him produce moments of real quality to win us games and provide us with great entertainment in general.

So why do these games seem to pass him by? That’s a fair few times now in games against them where you’d barely know he was there and when he does get on the ball he’s not exactly being productive. Like I said, I’m a huge fan but I’m mystified by this and hope the gaffer can find a way to get him firing in these fixtures. Far too much talent to not be a factor in these types of games.

Pre injury he was on great form

since returning he has looked like he’s really struggling, languid, short passes to team mates, no real running power going forward or back (Hagi was the same today)

Is it just a case of poor form?

We will be upgrading in the summer and certain players are maybe catching the managers eye for the wrong reason in the last few games.

All that being said.
55, still undefeated and 1 more cup to go for.
let’s go

i sound like a broken record but that’s 4/5 Old Firm’s he has played in and he has been poor in every single one.

Still continues to start in big games but it baffles me. I mean today he genuinely couldn’t find his own man from 5yards, wtf.

The game passed by the whole midfield arguably.

Learning curve. Still a top player.

Didnt turn up.

You’re right. The midfield was anonymous, but it’s just that it’s become a pattern with Aribo. Even if he’s not making things happen on the ball he has to work a lot harder off the ball too. By and large he’s had a very good season but there have been goals we’ve lost too that were really just down to his lack of defensive work and willingness to get back.

It can all be worked on though, I’m sure the gaffer himself will be thinking about it and trying to devise a plan to get the best out of him in these games.

Think with the way he plays he's just not suited to the bigger games, he's been extremely poor in the last 3 matches. If he drove at the opponent every game like he did against Dundee United he would be a handful for anyone to deal with but far too often he likes to slow the game down and invite pressure

He's becoming less enigmatic for me the more I watch him. He's obviously got ability but I've got serious questions over whether he can kick on from here or whether this is as much as we're going to get from him. Its not a footballing problem, more of a desire, game awareness and attitude. Compare him to Kent in the bigger games and there's one we can trust and one that has still to earn that trust.

I think he's just better further forward. We needca bit more depth in our midfield, right now he's in a position that he doesn't suit.

We got a glimpse of him as a 10 a few games ago and he was much better.

Totally Agree. I'm pulling my hair out with this guy. He has talent in spades and on his game he's the game winner for us. He had a really good run of form right up to that second Slavia leg at Ibrox then inexplicably takes two steps back the way. Really frustrating when you know he has it in him if his head is right.

Have defended Aribo to the hilt on here, but it's a problem now.

He should be taking games like that by the scruff of the neck and bossing them. He had plenty of opportunities to make something happen today but just didn't get into the match.

I still have faith in him as a player, but it's unbelievably frustrating to watch at times.

He's a good player, can become a great player but he's so frustrating at times. He's 25 in July, really needs to start dominating games instead of drifting in and out.

i sound like a broken record but that’s 4/5 Old Firm’s he has played in and he has been poor in every single one.

Still continues to start in big games but it baffles me. I mean today he genuinely couldn’t find his own man from 5yards, wtf.
Today's game started at walking pace for 15 minutes and he still couldn't get into the game. When he's off it, its a major concern.

He goes into his shell in these big games - against Slavia, I felt he gave up too easy around the press they put on him and today, I just felt he never wanted to get the tempo going...slowed things at wrong times etc

also routinely goes to sleep at defending corners....so often he’s found the one who has gone to sleep

still think a player in there - but next pre-season he has to lift

First few replies being very kind, I thought he was diabolical today and rotten on Thursday

Carrying the ball ponderously, lazy defensive (work which left Balogun exposed time after time), lackadaisical passing and poor decision making all come up continually in games when we're pressed high

I'd like to say he's taking it easier now that 55 is in the bag but it was the exact same in the January game too, he doesn't deal with the pressure in midfield well at all

He's not particularly effective in the midfield 3. Wide right seems to suit him better as he can hold the ball up and cut inside. That said, he does drift in and out of games, which is frustrating.

Agreed.
That might not be his best position, but at least he does a job out there and provides a real threat when he cuts into the opposition box.

I'm going to be overly harsh considering this season and what Aribo has contributed.

I can take playing poorly but the effort today from him wasn't acceptable. Barely broke out of a jog all day.

There's certain games where you need to win your battles before you get to play.

There's a lot of talk about him playing at a higher level, unless he brings a higher intensity and application from the first whistle I think he'll struggle to do so.

You don't get 20-30 minutes to work yourself into a game at the next level.

Still continues to start in big games but it baffles me.
Feel Sorry for Hagi, he seems to be the first guy off every time we a change, Aribo hasn't justified his Jersey for tha last few games. Great ability but needs to apply himself more.
I felt a tad sorry for Hagi too to be honest. He at least had that cracking pass over the top to Kent and he works harder off the ball than Aribo yet still found himself the first to be hooked. I know some may feel it was easier to shift Aribo wide forward and have Arfield slot into the midfield, but really Hagi could have easily done that too.

All the talent, little heart. And if you show him onto his right he can't do anything. Frustrating as hell, he has huge natural ability.

I think he could do with more confidence in general. Can you imagine Aribo's talents with the attitude of someone like Barry Ferguson - he could really take hold of a game but doesnt really seem to realise it as often as he should.

Great player, you just sometimes feel he could be having a bigger say in some games.

I just don't think he's the right choice for high intensity games like this.

Tightly packed boxes against the likes of St Mirren, there's nobody else I'd want in there. He will twist and turn and get a shot away.

Games where the match is won in the midfield battle, where you have no time to think and compose yourself, he's a man down.

Horses for courses. Scott Wright to replace him for the return leg at Ibrox

Feel Sorry for Hagi, he seems to be the first guy off every time we a change, Aribo hasn't justified his Jersey for tha last few games. Great ability but needs to apply himself more.
Don't think its application, think he's just unsuited to OF games

Makes it even more baffling that SG continues to accommodate him at the expense of Hagi

Great away performance that from the team and it was a team performance none of our individual mavericks so to speak Hagi/Kent/Aribo had that little spark today, From his 1st season Aribo has improved massively. Frightening the standard he could hit next year. Think we may be in overthinking it territory here boys and girls

Yeah, he’s extremely talented, but very hot and cold. He either looks like a world beater or anonymous. A different issue but we could be doing with adding a couple of real quality midfielders during the summer.

Is his best position not playing of the striker? I'm sure that came up last season, in a game against Hibs. He is best in and around the box.

He’s the kind of player who is either mercurial or non existent ... when he’s on it he’s magnificent and when he’s not he’s like a man down

He has more than contributed to this monumental season.

Suppose some always need a target.

Cracking contribution to the thread mate. You’re right though, let’s never discuss a poor performance from any player (even if it’s a pattern of poor performances in the biggest fixture) in the squad on the basis that we’ve won the league anyway. It wasn’t as though I was being overly critical either, but extra staunch points to you, I’m really impressed.

Still relatively young and new to a high level of football.
You are not wrong but there comes a time when someone with that God given ability has to come of age. He's a champion now, his confidence should be through the roof going into that game today. As others have said it's starting to feel like a problem. Joe really needs to take the hand brake off in these big games.

Can have sensational moments in attack as we've seen fairly recently, but doesnt offer enough defensively vs teams that attack us more. Certainly seems like a clear pattern by now.

Needs to be challenged to offer more consistency, perhaps a spell on the bench wouldnt hurt

I wonder what happens to him in these games? I mentioned it after Thursday but I’m a huge fan of him, he’s such a gifted player and we’ve seen him produce moments of real quality to win us games and provide us with great entertainment in general.

So why do these games seem to pass him by? That’s a fair few times now in games against them where you’d barely know he was there and when he does get on the ball he’s not exactly being productive. Like I said, I’m a huge fan but I’m mystified by this and hope the gaffer can find a way to get him firing in these fixtures. Far too much talent to not be a factor in these types of games.
He shows for the ball more and uses it far better as a wide right. He’s a lost talent in midfield- granted that today our midfield was completely passed by for 75% of the game. Kamala was off it and Davis was having to try and be box to box. Joe is at his dynamic best out wide and running at defenders, not transitioning the play

He was good in league cup final and game katic scored winner.

Both they games he played as a 10 in off the right hand side seems to suit him better.

He shows for the ball more and uses it far better as a wide right. He’s a lost talent in midfield- granted that today our midfield was completely passed by for 75% of the game. Kamala was off it and Davis was having to try and be box to box. Joe is at his dynamic best out wide and running at defenders, not transitioning the play

images

Cracking contribution to the thread mate. You’re right though, let’s never discuss a poor performance from any player (even if it’s a pattern of poor performances in the biggest fixture) in the squad on the basis that we’ve won the league anyway. It wasn’t as though I was being overly critical either, but extra staunch points to you, I’m really impressed.

I'm happy with it.

Back