The Fat Lad on the left

He was some player, smoked like a chimney too.

Didn’t know he was voted Forest greatest ever player (twice).

Seen a clip of Clough getting asked about coming up against the best right back in the world and his response was I’ve got a little fat winger that will run circles round him. :)
He actually said “I’ve got a fat man on the wing I think he will turn him inside out” and he did

I'd never seen wee Bud playing for Rangers and he'd re-established himself as the Scotland No.11 from '77 onward. I went to the first Home International in '78 against NI to finally see him and he was left out for John Robertson that day. Bud came back in after that match and was first choice again up till that Peru game.
Hated the fat lad ever since lol.

If you watch the stunning film I believe in Miracles , it was clear the main tactic was get the ball to John Robertson and let the magic happen

A very good player, but another who never really translated his undoubted ability onto the international stage.

Think of the players we had around then - Robertson, Dalglish, Archibald, Strachan, Wark, Brazil, Hansen, and dare I say TMB himself - guys who were spearheading their clubs to European trophies, but who all too often failed to do it for Scotland.

Was there ever any chat of him coming to us?
Couldn't answer that mate. I never heard it mentioned, maybe someone a wee bit older might know. Loved watching him for Scotland but I was quite young.
I didn't know he was a Rangers man until he went to the piggery.

A very good player, but another who never really translated his undoubted ability onto the international stage.

Think of the players we had around then - Robertson, Dalglish, Archibald, Strachan, Wark, Brazil, Hansen, and dare I say TMB himself - guys who were spearheading their clubs to European trophies, but who all too often failed to do it for Scotland.
If you look at late 60’s into the 80’s the talent was unbelievable. So many to choose from for an all time best Scotland 11. Gough, Jardine, McNeil, Grieg, McGrain, Strachan, Baxter, Souness, Robertson, Cooper, Dalglish, Law, that’s just the tip off the top of my head. You could easily make a squad of 22 full of world class players.

I'd never heard of him until about 10 years ago when I saw that show Paul Merson used to do where he'd get ex pros to name their greatest XI. Robertson appeared on quite a few and they always gave it that he was unbelievable and hugely underrated

Brilliant player. We produced so many world class players in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. Regularly playing in European finals and stars in the English top flight. WTF has happened to Scottish football.

The nucleus of the great teams of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s
were always Scots. Liverpool, Leeds United, Nottingham
Forest and Manchester United, As you what went wrong.

Never understood why his Forest captain John McGovern never got picked for Scotland. Highly rated by Clough who took him to various clubs he managed. One of my mates tells a story about being at the Forest ground and bumping into Kenny Burns. Whilst speaking a young Roy Keane walked by and Burns said, "Don't speak to him he's a ***". Priceless.

Never understood why his Forest captain John McGovern never got picked for Scotland. Highly rated by Clough who took him to various clubs he managed. One of my mates tells a story about being at the Forest ground and bumping into Kenny Burns. Whilst speaking a young Roy Keane walked by and Burns said, "Don't speak to him he's a ***". Priceless.
Never capped as Ally mcleod never realised mcgovern was Scottish

Him and Woodcock tore Malmo to shreds in the European Cup final in 1979, some of the footage is a joy to watch, crazy it only ended up 1-0

From the era when football ability counted way more than fitness.
And if he played for 4 years without missing a game, he must have actually been quite fit.

We got fat
We have lost our desire and hunger. Youngsters need to realise that you haven't made it when you break into the first team, play your first golf tournament etc.

Top pros constantly learn and perfect technique.

The Scottish Cup Final when we destroyed Hearts; before the game both teams went out on the pitch to check out the conditions suited and booted. Paul Gascgoine gets a ball boy to fetch a couple of balls and he starts practicing free kicks from 30 yards. Some say guys like Gazza and Laudrup were born with skill, but they sure knew how to hone it. Practice practice practice and then practice

Reactions: TQ3
The nucleus of the great teams of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s
were always Scots. Liverpool, Leeds United, Nottingham
Forest and Manchester United, As you what went wrong.

As regards the English league, guys from all over the world play there now.

I'd never seen wee Bud playing for Rangers and he'd re-established himself as the Scotland No.11 from '77 onward. I went to the first Home International in '78 against NI to finally see him and he was left out for John Robertson that day. Bud came back in after that match and was first choice again up till that Peru game.
Hated the fat lad ever since lol.

We were just off the back of a glorious treble. All three hone internationals were at home due to the situation in NI. Hampden was packed with blue noses for all 3 games which were all played in a week. Robertson did not stand a chance with Bud on the bench:)

He was some player, for a fat guy he could get past a player and put in some cross. Instrumental in a great Forest side.

We were just off the back of a glorious treble. All three hone internationals were at home due to the situation in NI. Hampden was packed with blue noses for all 3 games which were all played in a week. Robertson did not stand a chance with Bud on the bench:)
And infamously Derek Johnstone scoring against NI and Wales and then dropped for the England game !

Mmmm. Burns left Forest in 81. Keane signed in 90.

Back