The Goldson & Bassey pairing

Robert California

We appear to have stumbled into a very very fruitful pairing here, proving something good can come out of adversity and the injuries to Fil and Balogun have not been as detrimental as we feared.

The amount of ball our CB's get in the SPFL (especially at home) is incredible, and these two launch almost all that we do.

Whilst I think Bassey still has a lot to learn defensively in that position especially against a better standard of opposition, his ability to drive out from the LCB area dynamically, and pass forward accurately is invaluable in these games. His recovery pace and strength is also outstanding and I think he has learned a lot from Goldson.

Yes, we know that Helander is probably a better defender, but we have stumbled across something very good with this pair in the SPFL.

It seems to be taken as gospel on here that Fil is our best defender.

Connor didn’t have a great time in the first quarter, but he is the clubs best defender imo.
Goldson is the best at doing what a Rangers CB needs to do 90% of the time and that’s playing with the ball. Helander is a better defender though. It’s why they’re such a good partnership and as much as I love Bassey, Helander walks back in at LCB when fit.

Bassey is good enough for the majority of domestic teams. Against the scum and against more top teams in Europe the jury is still out. I still think Bassey’s long term future should be at left back because he is so good at carrying the ball. His best position would probably be in the left of a back three.

Connor didn’t have a great time in the first quarter, but he is the clubs best defender imo.
Helander is the best DEFENDER at the club no question. Goldson is probably the better player though in the context of the team overall though because of his leadership, communication and forward passing.

I think Bassey has done well and stepped up to fill a gap when we really needed it.

I just don't think centre back is his calling. He has been a little shaky against the better teams and so the sooner we get Helander back the better

Bassey has surprised me with his progress you can see him becoming more situational aware Goldson return to form has undoubtedly helped him.

Lol just remember gospel is faith not fact hhss

Agree with OP we have not only plugged the gap but have a decent blend for games against spl and even EL opposition which is credit to all the defenders and the coaching staff the entire group is the answer to finding solutions .

I have to say I was deeply concerned in summer when management with with Simpson as out 4th choice CD . I had however not allowed for such excellent cover and play by Calvin B as the person who would instead step in and command that back line with the others .

Massive credit to him , one of the best ever step ups by a young Rangers player to a new level exploiting his talent his athleticism and his game nerve .

Deserves a pay rise in summer imo

Helander is our best out and out defender by a fair bit.

Others may be better on the ball, better passers, faster etc but as a defender, nobody comes close to Helander.

Helander is a good player, but I'd be looking to find a replacement. Harsh as it sounds, he's injury prone and we can't afford to have our first choice central defender missing more than 50% of our matches.

I include Roofe and Jack in the same bracket.

They are working very well together which is amazing. I just wish Goldson was willing to hang around longer.

I still think Helander is the best defender we have but he does have his injury issues. Balogun is also very good but I would stick with Bassey and Goldson for now.

Bassey is good enough for the majority of domestic teams. Against the scum and against more top teams in Europe the jury is still out. I still think Bassey’s long term future should be at left back because he is so good at carrying the ball. His best position would probably be in the left of a back three.
Agree with this. I am not a fan of back 3, but Bassey would be sensational on the left of a 3.

Goldson is also exceptionally good on the ball too, the amount of ball he gets demands it.

Games like today also demand that he actually gets on the ball in the final third driving forward, which is actually ridiculous and shows just how deep teams defend against us.

I think it’s now at a stage where it’s a serious consideration that either Balogun or Helander have to displace Bassey.

Bassey is part of a partnership that has conceded just 2 in 9 games. He has been to Lyon and got a draw. He has helped with clean sheets at Easter Road and Tynecastle.

I think the phrase if it ain’t broke don’t fix it is very apt.

We appear to have stumbled into a very very fruitful pairing here, proving something good can come out of adversity and the injuries to Fil and Balogun have not been as detrimental as we feared.

The amount of ball our CB's get in the SPFL (especially at home) is incredible, and these two launch almost all that we do.

Whilst I think Bassey still has a lot to learn defensively in that position especially against a better standard of opposition, his ability to drive out from the LCB area dynamically, and pass forward accurately is invaluable in these games. His recovery pace and strength is also outstanding and I think he has learned a lot from Goldson.

Yes, we know that Helander is probably a better defender, but we have stumbled across something very good with this pair in the SPFL.
To think so many of our expert fans mocked the idea of Bassey playing centre half.....

Calvin’s ability to both carry the ball forward through bursts of pace and also find a positive pass has added a new dimension to our football.
Hi the big Leon nor big Fil are able to provide that option to the team.
It is clearly Bassey’s shirt to lose
He will be gutted if he doesn’t go with Nigeria if he is being picked ahead of Leon.
Having said that, I will be delighted if he doesn’t go and is here for the old firm game giving us the full back five that has been brilliant since Gio came in.

I think it’s now at a stage where it’s a serious consideration that either Balogun or Helander have to displace Bassey.

Bassey is part of a partnership that has conceded just 2 in 9 games. He has been to Lyon and got a draw. He has helped with clean sheets at Easter Road and Tynecastle.

Bassey is ahead of Balogun for me in the pecking order, delighted he hasn’t been called up by Nigeria.

Helander is different though, he and Goldson have the best defensive partnership in the league by a mile.

In terms of pure out and out defending like positioning and tackles fills the best but Goldsons distribution gives him a slight each overall imo

Bassey has been very impressive, no doubt about it! But a fit Helander next to Goldson is by far our best partnership IMO

Well given we have an end of contract coming maybe we have to think about pairing him with one of the others and see how it goes . Could try it in parts of a game or an easier game eg Parkhead .
Calvin’s ability to both carry the ball forward through bursts of pace and also find a positive pass has added a new dimension to our football.
Hi the big Leon nor big Fil are able to provide that option to the team.
It is clearly Bassey’s shirt to lose
He will be gutted if he doesn’t go with Nigeria if he is being picked ahead of Leon.
Having said that, I will be delighted if he doesn’t go and is here for the old firm game giving us the full back five that has been brilliant since Gio came in.
I’d thought the super Eagles had announced a squad and CB was Not listed thought I seen a tweet saying so last week

We do look much more solid, buy at the same time we have been lucky not to concede recently.

Well given we have an end of contract coming maybe we have to think about pairing him with one of the others and see how it goes . Could try it in parts of a game or an easier game eg Parkhead .

I’d thought the super Eagles had announced a squad and CB was Not listed thought I seen a tweet saying so last week
There is always a danger he could be added to the squad late if someone is injured.

He is in terms of organising the defence and leadership qualities but Helander reads the game better

Bassey has the few yards of pace the other cbs don’t have so can get back in and cover any mistake he might make. Not many will beat him and the boy is a beast. Want to see a nasty side to him, always too happy and friendly with the opposition as apposed to borna who is ready to smash anyone

Goldson is looking back to his commanding self.

Bassey is getting better game by game and his pace is a massive asset to us when we push higher up the pitch.

Bassey needs to play somewhere. His energy is fantastic. Like Paterson , the more they play the better. Both not perfect , but definitely learning. Bassey especially..

I think his short term future is at left back, but longer term, as he gains experience, I do think he could become a very accomplished centre back.

Helander for me. Connor is as good as him defensively but Fil is less prone to a f*ck up.
Goldson for me is our best defender. Played every game last season when we went unbeaten in the league. Also starred on our European runs and at present nursing through a young defensive partner not conceding any goals. Would be massive blow to lose him

West Ham were after Bassey when we signed him. A bit of a coup that went under the radar a bit at the time. It is great to see him developing as he is. A real option for us now in multiple positions.

Bassey still got at least one or two big mistakes a game. Tav bought him a get out of jail card today. That said the lad has done well. Don’t think he’s quite there yet to push out Balogun never mind Helander.

In regards to Goldson I get wanting to play in the EPL more money etc, but who's he going too.

I can't see it being with a top 6/8 team, no more Euro nights or winning anything.

He was colossal for us last season yet as far as I know no one came in for him, if he does go for a free then I'll thank him for his part in winning us 55 but I think he'll be another one who down the line will regret his decision to leave Ibrox.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel too. I like big Helander but Bassey has the shirt so let them fight for it.

Back