The 'H' word

Midfield General

When I was growing up back in the 60s and 70s we used to call the Tim's 'Huns'.In fact in games at Ibrox and Hampden when it was raining we would all chant The Huns are getting wet amongst other things.
For some reason they have appropriated the term and turned it round on us.Now as the media and authorities has deemed this term to be neither sectarian or racist I think it is time we took it back.
Imagine the next game at Ibrox we hit them with Go home ya Huns go home while we are all pointing the finger at them.Their wee heeds would explode and they would have nowhere to go with the racist sectarian card.

When I was growing up back in the 60s and 70s we used to call the Tim's 'Huns'.In fact in games at Ibrox and Hampden when it was raining we would all chant The Huns are getting wet amongst other things.
For some reason they have appropriated the term and turned it round on us.Now as the media and authorities has deemed this term to be neither sectarian or racist I think it is time we took it back.
Imagine the next game at Ibrox we hit them with Go home ya Huns go home while we are all pointing the finger at them.Their wee heeds would explode and they would have nowhere to go with the racist sectarian card.

I see where you're coming from mate, but today it's used in a blatantly sectarian manner against us. It's also used as a sectarian slur in Northern Ireland where you'll see such pleasantries as 'KILL ALL HUNS' spraypainted on the walls in Republican areas.

We'd be more effective by calling it out for what it is, a blatantly sectarian term. It's sung by most teams fans, so the club could bring it up if we're ever accused of anything.

I see where you're coming from mate, but today it's used in a blatantly sectarian manner against us. It's also used as a sectarian slur in Northern Ireland where you'll see such pleasantries as 'KILL ALL HUNS' spraypainted on the walls in Republican areas.

We'd be more effective by calling it out for what it is, a blatantly sectarian term. It's sung by most teams fans, so the club could bring it up if we're ever accused of anything.
I agree mate they do use it as a sectarian term disguised as banter,we have tried to call it out but have got nowhere,so that is why we should take it back and turn it on them.

It's too late, that word us now totally embedded into everyday language as a derogatory term for us. We can't turn it back on them now, regardless we all know it meant one of their lot for years.

We're better complaining every time it is sung or shouted at us and get other fans a criminal record for it.

Just keep calling them poets. If they dont like it tough, if the pc offended brigade dont like it, even better.

A poet is a poet is a poet. Now I want you all to write 100 lines of that for your sectarian bile lessons. Ingrained in your mind and take joy in offending the easily offended.

I agree with your sentiment mate, but sadly we live in a society where people can be locked up for using such terms but they are allowed to use the H word for us.

It's too late, that word us now totally embedded into everyday language as a derogatory term for us. We can't turn it back on them now, regardless we all know it meant one of their lot for years.

We're better complaining every time it is sung or shouted at us and get other fans a criminal record for it.
Complain to who? Nil by mouth or call it out? Just keep using poet and shout it with a booming and proud voice.

And if I had a Tommy gun...

The word has not been classed as sectarian by a judge or in any branch of the law yet, this is the issue, there has to be a push by the public so that use of the word is seen as unacceptable, the same way 19th Century Terrorist has become.

The get out is that the word is a term for "enemy" even though we know it's use is much more sinister, given that it's aimed mainly at supporters of certain teams who are historically viewed as having a similar religious background.

The word has not been classed as sectarian by a judge or in any branch of the law yet, this is the issue, there has to be a push by the public so that use of the word is seen as unacceptable, the same way 19th Century Terrorist has become.

The get out is that the word is a term for "enemy" even though we know it's use is much more sinister, given that it's aimed mainly at supporters of certain teams who are historically viewed as having a similar religious background.

There's plenty evidence of it being used in a sectarian manner. Sadly our people have been so beaten down over the years that we give in to anything.

We also have a tendency just to shrug off abuse whereas the perma-offended poets like to whine at anything. Sadly, their whining works in the long run.

It's hard to know how we can ever make it toxic.

I cant be bothered with all this pc woke pish. N word P word now H word.

These things are only used for minorities by middle class stuck up types. I prefer a spade to be called a spade.

Think I'll ask ch4 if they would be willing to have a bernard manning tribute night. Now that would be worth it just to hear the uproar of the wine and cheese brigade.

I cant be bothered with all this pc woke pish. N word P word now H word.

These things are only used for minorities by middle class stuck up types. I prefer a spade to be called a spade.

Think I'll ask ch4 if they would be willing to have a bernard manning tribute night. Now that would be worth it just to hear the uproar of the wine and cheese brigade.

I'm sure he used to do a turn in the old Edminston Club! :)

The Huns was one of the prominent races that brought down the Roman empire , just a thought , have a banner with a rampaging Hun with sword & shield stamping on a mentally challenged/Roman .

I’m sure if we started singing go home ya huns full pelt at the next game against them, there would be such an outcry that the word would be banned immediately and we’d be on the wrong end of a fine............possibly

I’m sure if we started singing go home ya huns full pelt at the next game against them, there would be such an outcry that the word would be banned immediately and we’d be on the wrong end of a fine............possibly

Sadly you're right!

Complaining gets you nowhere mate,as has already been proved.It is just a word and no one has ownership of it.I think we should start signing it at our matches,it would really mess with their heads.

Any Rangers related post on Twitter is bombarded with them calling us huns. You'll rarely see anyone calling them 19th Century Terrorists though.

Reactions: VGM
When I was at primary school in the 1970’s the mentally challengeds were 100% the ‘Huns’

I’ve no idea how they turned the ‘Huns’ against us

I would 100% start singing about them as ‘Huns’ to go home

The only British club to support the Nazis in WW11 and the only club to have their stadium closed due to their support of the Nazis

They were scum then. Scum now. Scum forever

Now that’s a banner I’d like to see at Ibrox

The problem for the word Hun isn’t really what it means to fans in Scotland who have no particular links to Northern Ireland but what it means to our NI fans and folks with roots there.

im not particularly interested in much of the politics of NI but even I know that it’s a slur there that means Protestants.

much as I’m sure not many Rangers fans who call Celtic fans 19th Century Terrorists Don’t really mean Irish Catholic But it’s a word that’s used hereyo mean Celtic fans but it has been accepted that it’s a religious slur and to that end so should the word hun. It’s as black and white to me. You can have it both ways.

I think most normal people would normally just throw them aside as daft names but since everyone takes offence at the least wee thing these days the rules have to be consistent for both sides of the fence.

The club that they support allows child abuse.

As much as that H word is the most vile word to be called imo.

Calling them child molesters that stops everything......ridiculous that is the level to stop them simply saying what they want.

Scotland doesn't seem to care about this.....as sectarianism is awful and folk are jailed for words. Yet in Scotland the actions of a club and hiding.....gets less attention.

Back