The Heysel disaster, caused by the SAS.

Nobody ever seems to comment regarding the build up to the Heysel tragedy. Liverpool played Roma in Rome in the previous seasons final and more than a few scousers were stabbed (earlier in the competition 2 Gothenburg fans were stabbed to death in Rome). They had a bee in their bonnet regarding Italians and it all played out that night. I'm not in anyway condoning the scousers, I dislike them intensely, but that and the organisation by EUFA, 2 sets of fans in the same end, and it was a powder keg situation.
I think what you say is fair enough, but what angers everybody is that both Liverpool FC and their fans have never accepted any responsibility for what went on inside Heysel that night.
As another poster pointed out, they have weaponised Hillsborough to eliminate any mention of Heysel,

I know this Guy . did basic training with him the Army 90s, even ended up in the same Troop as him after posting.
Im not surprised by his ramblings, was reading books about Michael Collins and all that , claimed he wasnt English but Scouse Irish.
I could tell a few stories about him!
Surely he got filled in a few times.?

Liverpool and their Supporters have succeeded in using Hillsborough to erase Heysel!
Yep. Hillsborough was awful, no doubt, but the cognitive dissonance a lot of Liverpool fans seem to show in pretending Heysel didn't happen (which was certainly a large part down to their fans) sickens me.

When they remember Hillsborough's victims, they should also be remembering those who died at Heysel in another game involving their club.

There was talk of Killie, Hibs & Motherwell fans who went down to be part of the atmosphere.. there is no way that you didn’t have every English firm within a couple of hours of travel going to Manchester to be in the middle of it.

It was an uncontrollable situation.
Not helped by the mayor and other officials who stuck their fingers in their ears during the lead up and pretended the inevitable wasn't going to happen, only to act surprised when it did.

Plenty examples of appaling behaviour by our fans that day that cannot be excused, but it could have been handled far better if they'd planned for it a bit better when it was clear the numbers coming down were going to be huge.

Absolutely nuts but there is a significant amount of the Liverpool support that laps up this nonsense.

I sat next to them at the League Cup Final a couple of years ago and the songs and abuse getting shouted at “Southern” Chelsea fans were something else.
There is an obsession with Toaries, South of England and the Monarchy that would make Declan blush.
I heard that first hand when we played them at Anfield in the CL. We were in the Liverpool end and some of the stuff being shouted was sickening, it was a struggle to keep quiet.

Social media is the moon howlers go to and judging by what this guy is saying I'd bet he's waiting for the moon to come up

Turning this on it's head slightly.
When we played Shelbourne at Prenton Park (Tranmere Rovers), there was mayhem outside the ground as many will remember.
Although those causing it were bedecked in Rangers colours they sounded like the cast of 'Brookside.' I was caught in the middle of the r soles.
I don't remember the SAS being present though.
What happens is that those that pass selection go on to carry out an extensive training in how to do character acting and accents. Mainly by watching nothing but old episodes of Harry Enfield.

The narrative around Hillsborough has always puzzled me, yes the police made mistakes, yes the police then tried to cover that up, yes the press lied about certain aspects, people pick pocketing ETC. But part of the blame lies with the fan base, them and the Mancs were famous for "jibbing" Into grounds which meant rushing turnstiles to force them open so they could get in without paying.

I think what you say is fair enough, but what angers everybody is that both Liverpool FC and their fans have never accepted any responsibility for what went on inside Heysel that night.
As another poster pointed out, they have weaponised Hillsborough to eliminate any mention of Heysel,
Absolutely, they charged what was an equivalent to a family section . Chased them and then the wall collapsed. After heysel fences went up , and yes at Hillsbourgh police made a tragic error but when Liverpool fans were climbing the fences , they thought they were rioting

I was shown an unpublished Police report a few years after Hillsborough and it stated around 85% (can't remember the exact figure) of the victims had no identification or money on them as it had all been stolen by fellow fans. It made identification more difficult in the first few days.
Sorry mate but as a teenager, I was 17 in 89, I never had any ID. Also as a YTS I never had any money either. Paid for my bus and match tickets and had pennies left. Same as a lot of those young scousers, maybe 85% or so.

Sorry mate but as a teenager, I was 17 in 89, I never had any ID. Also as a YTS I never had any money either. Paid for my bus and match tickets and had pennies left. Same as a lot of those young scousers, maybe 85% or so.
I was 14 that day and was at our game at the piggery , had no ID , got £8 to spend . Ticket £4 , bus £1 and the rest for juice

Liverpool have millions of fans globally and there is a good chance that there will be some total knobs in that number.

What is worrying is that on a Rangers forum we are now on to page 3 of discussion about a bellend; who may or may not support Liverpool, coming up with a piece of fantasy.

I recall after the 2008 final, plenty people on here insisting it was fans of other teams who had started and maintained the trouble in Manchester that night. I guess you'll always get that element of deflection in an attempt to protect your own team.

Mind you, no one went as far as to say it was the SAS and Government:D
I remember in the immediate aftermath of Heysel there were claims that Chelsea fans were involved.

Funnily enough Chelsea fans were also blamed for starting the trouble at Hampden that same month, as well as the bother over in Mexico the following summer.

They fairly got about, did those Chelsea boys.

Liverpool have millions of fans globally and there is a good chance that there will be some total knobs in that number.

What is worrying is that on a Rangers forum we are now on to page 3 of discussion about a bellend; who may or may not support Liverpool, coming up with a piece of fantasy.
Slow night.

I remember in the immediate aftermath of Heysel there were claims that Chelsea fans were involved.

Funnily enough Chelsea fans were also blamed for starting the trouble at Hampden that same month, as well as the bother over in Mexico the following summer.

They fairly got about, did those Chelsea boys.

Blaming other fans and probably one of the most notorious of the time would have sounded perfectly plausible back then.

Now it just reeks of utter deflection

Thats true, also Dundee Utd had playedRoma in the round before, the semi finals. It could have been a Utd - Liverpool final. Utd fans came home with various stories of the nightmares that went on trying to get to and from the ground in Rome. That spread to the Liverpool fans a bit too.
Yes, I knew a couple of Utd fans that were there. They told me that was the scariest night of their lives.

The blamed cockneys and Chelsea in particular
Jimmy Hill did say, as it was happening ffs, I bet there's a few Scots in there as well.

Edit
Just remembered the SAS was apparently 60% Scotsmen back then maybe that was his point

Reactions: hms
Jimmy Hill did say, as it was happening ffs, I bet there's a few Scots in there as well.

Edit
Just remembered the SAS was apparently 60% Scotsmen back then maybe that was his point
Jimmy Hill’s hatred of all things Scottish was akin to your average SNP supporter with the English today. He was a bitter old cock.

Britain’s finest regiment (awaits inter regiment arguments) was indeed heavy populated by the finest fighting Scots.

Back