The Ibrox Disaster [2001]

WordsAndPictures

Thoughts with all the families of the bereaved.

Absent friends

[I apologise for the little video issue a few minutes from the end but the error was picked up during the broadcast.]

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve seen Mrs Easton’s interview, it breaks my heart every single time. She carried herself with such grace and dignity in the face of her horrendous loss, as did all those who were bereaved. Forever in the hearts of the entire Rangers family. God bless the 66.

I lost an uncle I never met, my mum’s brother. Sadly I lost my mum last year just short of the 50th anniversary. My mum, a fantastically bubbly person, was always deeply affected every New Year.

Rangers fans words, tributes and kindness always have a profound effect on me and I know they did for my mum and the family. Gone but never forgotten. Thank you bears. RIP Tommy and the other 65 who never made it home.

For some reason I always thinks of Nigel Pickup (Aged 8) from Huyton Liverpool the youngest to lose their life that terrible day.
I also think of Nigel, at this time every year. His father has been in care in Ontario for almost 2 yrs now, with Alzheimer's.

I lost an Uncle that I never met aswell,i was at the first kind of memorial ceremony the club had in recent times.
Mr Murray was asked in front of me by an elderly woman why they hadn't did anything, until this point ,to do anything about the disaster until now.
His response was actually quite rude and a bit Billy big balls,he said we wanted to wait until the stadium was completed until we could.
Take from that what you will.
My mum and my family get really upset around the dates,

I also think of Nigel, at this time every year. His father has been in care in Ontario for almost 2 yrs now, with Alzheimer's.

Seem to remember that it was Nigel's father or grandfather that had taken him to his first game at Ibrox while being up from Huyton in Scotland visiting family.

Seem to remember that it was Nigel's father or grandfather that had taken him to his first game at Ibrox while being up from Huyton in Scotland visiting family.
It was Nigel's stepfather who took him, he also died. From a well known family of good stock from Govan RIP.

Back