Article The Joyful Kilmarnock Blues - Our Best Signing From Killie?

Our best buy from Kilmarnock?

• David Mitchell

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Andy Cunningham

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Tommy McLean

Votes: 80 52.6%
  • Gordon Smith

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Kris Boyd

Votes: 66 43.4%

• Total voters
Tommy McLean, European Cup Winners Cup Final winner, for me. And not a difficult choice either. 3 League titles won, 4 Scottish Cups and 3 League Cups. Plus another League title with Killie, of course. Fantastic wee player. Inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame, Rangers Hall of Fame, Kilmarnock Hall of Fame and Motherwell Hall of Fame. Bizarrely gained just 9 Scotland caps and even more strangely, none of them during his time at Rangers.

I do have some happy memories of that Derek Johnstone/Gordon Smith season when the pair of them ran riot in 1977/78 though. DJ netting 38 goals and Smith 27. Incredible.

Last edited:
Due to my age I only remember Boyd but from a footballing point of view I would have voted for Naismith if he was an option. I thought he was brilliant when he played with us but obviously things have gone sour since he left.

Out of those only Tommy McLean has a genuine claim to be considered a Rangers legend so no brainer!
The first 2 on the list are 100% legends!
I can only think you don't know who they were if thinking that.

Have done. Thanks mate, won’t change my vote but only on the basis of having seen wee Tommy playing for Rangers but fully acknowledge that the first two have strong legendary status claims!

Due to age I’ll have to vote Boyd (first time round obviously).

Argument for Naismith over him though.

Naismith should be on that list too if we are purely talking about playing ability and contribution.

McLean got a lot of grief because he wasn't an aggressive player but I thought he was superb. Renowned for his crossing but he was a fantastic passer of the ball.

Mitchell and Cunningham are true legends of the club but so is Tommy McLean, 3 League titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 3 League Cups makes him our best signing from Kilmarnock imo.

Back