The lack of pace in the team

Fast players or the the pace/tempo at which we move the ball at. Which for the best far is too slow and pedestrian. Off the ball movement is terrible as well.
This, I don’t think it’s the lack of sprinters in the team, more how long they take to move the ball forward. I’ll give pass marks to Yilmaz and Diomandé

Fast players or the the pace/tempo at which we move the ball at. Which for the best far is too slow and pedestrian. Off the ball movement is terrible as well.

This is the big thing for me, especially with our midfielders. There's no pass and move, opening up little one-twos around people. It's static as %^*& then a punt over the top.

Something we need to address imo. When you look at the 11 who started at the Piggery there was zero pace throughout the team, that allowed them to press us high and aggressively.

I hope we fix this in the summer.

Injuries done for us this season.

Cortes, Danilo, Sima. Jack, Yilmaz, etc.

Sima and Matondo have a bit of pace, but I'm unsure how much they will play next season if at all. There is a real notable lack of pace about some players - none of our centre backs have natural pace.

Tav and Lawrence literally cannot sprint. Lundstram and Dowell aren't particularly energetic. And Jack is done.

For me, we need pace through out the team, not just up top. The lack of pace between Tav and Goldson is now a major issue for me. They can longer play together in the same team.

Both. The latter is a huge problem as well.

Feel like putting foot through the telly when JL steps back and splits the CB’s then takes 3/4 touches before a 5 yard pass.

Both. The latter is a huge problem as well.

Feel like putting foot through the telly when JL steps back and splits the CB’s then takes 3/4 touches before a 5 yard pass.

He'll not be here next season (thank %^*&). Get legs, runners, aggression, industry in that midfield. Players that play with their heads up and don't just play it safe. Players that can actually raise the tempo of a game and dictate the pace of play.

You need different type of pace in different parts of the team.

Full backs and wingers need pace over longer distance.

Midfielders need to be explosive and have good acceleration over a short distance.

Centre backs and centre forwards a mix of both.

We have virtually none anywhere.

Something we need to address imo. When you look at the 11 who started at the Piggery there was zero pace throughout the team, that allowed them to press us high and aggressively.

The quick players are there, unfortunately they were injured to often

This is the big thing for me, especially with our midfielders. There's no pass and move, opening up little one-twos around people. It's static as %^*& then a punt over the top.
A bigger issue for me is our passing restricting the opportunity for quicker play.

We have a lot of passes that will be recorded as successful/accurate, and will result in misleading stats, but too often they are not executed well enough. It might be fine margins but if our players are constantly having to adjust their bodies or take an extra touch to control a pass it just adds up to a slower pace.

I'd go as far as saying we've gotten quite sloppy with the ball

It wasn't just pace mate they easily pass their way through us every game. You look at most games we loose this is the case.

We have two of the fastest players in world football and Wright is no slouch.

Speed of thought is more important than speed of legs.

Only Sterling from that team had any sort.of pace.

I agree. Simo, matondo and Wright are also quick but generally we are slow and we also need to bulk up imo.

Pace is fine but it's not particularly helpful at Ibrox against an appointment who won't come out past the 12 yard line

I sat at Ibrox watching the game against Newcastle and it was so obvious that we lacked any width and pace. Can't believe how wrong Beale got it.

I sat at Ibrox watching the game against Newcastle and it was so obvious that we lacked any width and pace. Can't believe how wrong Beale got it.
It was a bizarre game and definitely had alarm bells ringing. We had no width and were open to an easy switch of play all game which left us 2v1 on our fullback. We looked very poor on all pre season games and it continued into the season.

Yes it's stuff you learned in the cubs or bb's.How proffesional footballers can't do it is baffling. Another thing as we always seem to pass behind the player instead of in front.lundstram being the worst culptlrit.cant wait to see the back of him.a complete fraud of a player.

Modern football has changed so that pace isn’t as much of an asset. Players don’t run with it anywhere near as often. Our centre backs could do with a bit more, though, as they’ve been caught out a few times by long balls

He's clearly not on the Sima / Matondo bracket but I thought he was fairly quick.

Yep, Danilo is quick. His goal v Sparta when he closed down the defender showed he has the pace to lead the line and press.

We need more pace and mobility in midfield. Sterling, Cantwell and Diomande are ok in this regard, but the rest don’t have it.

As for defence, only Yilmaz, and perhaps Balogun, have good pace.

We are so static off the ball - worst team in the league for it

It’s like give the ball to Laudrup , stand back and just watch his magic

Absolutely shocking !!!

Even the poor teams in the league have realised this recently and have started attacking us without leaving as many bodies back as there's no fear of a quick counter. The loss of pretty much all our pacey players really hurt us. Yilmaz injury a big factor as well as although he's not absolutely rapid he's one of our few ball carriers.

Back