The lengths they would go to see Rangers. 1877

ff1.png
ff2.png
ff3.png

What a great find.
It reminds of my mum’s story about loads of boys who dogged off school to see the Rangers v Moscow Dynamo game post war.which was an afternoon KO.
There were incredible levels of interest- a crowd of 90,000 - and she said the Headie was raging and some got suspended or expelled!

We drew the first game, had a goal controversially ruled out in the replay and consequently took the huff and didn't turn up for the 2nd replay.

They Masons, eh?
Just a small correction. It was the replay of the 1879 final that we didn’t turn up for as we’d had a “good goal” chalked off in the first match.

After two draws,and us having a goal controversially disallowed, Vale won the 1877 final 3-2.

What a great find.
It reminds of my mum’s story about loads of boys who dogged off school to see the Rangers v Moscow Dynamo game post war.which was an afternoon KO.
There were incredible levels of interest- a crowd of 90,000 - and she said the Headie was raging and some got suspended or expelled!
My late dad often told me that was the only time in his life he threw a sickie from work.

Great find I love reading these historical connections. Pity that kind of deterrent wasn’t around today though.

As a wee aside David Herds Rangers book about past rangers players is a great read. It highlights the journeys of many not so well known players from our villages from back then who played an important role (and other roles) for our fantastic club.

Last edited:
Back