The making of a Manager

ottawabear

I'm sure there are quite a few qualities that make a top-notch Manager but here are a few that I'm certain need to be part of one's resume:

Motivator: You need to instill enough confidence in your squad that they are buying into whatever you are selling and ultimately will get the players to be willing to run through a brick wall for you

Tactical awareness: You need to be able to assess the opposition correctly in order to set up your tactics, system and player selection to not only get the best our of your own starting 11 against them but also stop the opponent's strengths from beating you

In-game management: You need to be able to quickly realize what isn't working for you during the match and make adjustments accordingly to get you the win (substitutions, formation change, etc.)

As I said, I'm sure there are other big ones.

However, my point is (and I loved the guy as a player and hate criticizing any ex-Ranger) which one or more does Gio possess?

Last edited:
He's shown he can adapt during a game but it's a question of when he adapts it.

At Parkhead, it's obvious he's got it wrong after 4 minutes but by the time he changes it, the game is over.
Yesterday, if we keep our foot on their throats early doors and not give them a chance to settle, the result would have likely been different. Instead, we do what we always do and take the foot off the gas so they can get back into it.

His tactical abilities are better suited to Europe than the SPFL.

He's shown he can adapt during a game but it's a question of when he adapts it.

At Parkhead, it's obvious he's got it wrong after 4 minutes but by the time he changes it, the game is over.
Yesterday, if we keep our foot on their throats early doors and not give them a chance to settle, the result would have likely been different. Instead, we do what we always do and take the foot off the gas so they can get back into it.

His tactical abilities are better suited to Europe than the SPFL.

That has been a big part of our approach in domestic games that drives me nuts. :mad:

Could see after 5mins that Aribo was going to be a man down yesterday, and he plays 90 minutes. If Aribo and Tav don't half arse their tackle on Jota then Lundstram doesn't need to "foul" for the FK that led to 2nd.

GVB has won everything and I'd expect him to be able to see Aribo was an issue early doors

Could see after 5mins that Aribo was going to be a man down yesterday, and he plays 90 minutes. If Aribo and Tav don't half arse their tackle on Jota then Lundstram doesn't need to "foul" for the FK that led to 2nd.

GVB has won everything and I'd expect him to be able to see Aribo was an issue early doors
You would realistically expect him to see that Roofe hasn’t the attributes to play as a lone striker. Or that Rogic was dictating the midfield area after 10 minutes. But he didn’t and let these issues determine the outcome of the game. That is extremely worrying going forward

You would realistically expect him to see that Roofe hasn’t the attributes to play as a lone striker. Or that Rogic was dictating the midfield area after 10 minutes. But he didn’t and let these issues determine the outcome of the game. That is extremely worrying going forward
What would you have done about Rogic?

We don’t need a manager , we need a Rangers manager, a man who demands respect, who motivates players, who carries himself with dignity, who speaks like a diplomat and who his players would run through a brick wall for. We need a Walter.

I'm sure there are quite a few qualities that make a top-notch Manager but here are a few that I'm certain need to be part of one's resume:

Motivator: You need to instill enough confidence in your squad that they are buying into whatever you are selling and ultimately will get the players to be willing to run through a brick wall for you

Tactical awareness: You need to be able to assess the opposition correctly in order to set up your tactics, system and player selection to not only get the best our of your own starting 11 against them but also stop the opponent's strengths from beating you

In-game management: You need to be able to quickly realize what isn't working for you during the match and make adjustments accordingly to get you the win (substitutions, formation change, etc.)

As I said, I'm sure there are other big ones.

However, my point is (and I loved the guy as a player and hate criticizing any ex-Ranger) which one or more does Gio possess?
Out of the three, he has shown tactical awareness and in-game management in Europe quite a few times. His starting 11 yesterday and actually tactics were spot on. It’s the motivation I have an issue with. However if the players needed motivation for that game yesterday then they don’t deserve to play in the shirt!

What I do like is he is not afraid to make changes and bring on subs. Our problem yesterday was I couldn’t see who he could bring on to make a change - we need better players who can be relied upon

We don’t need a manager , we need a Rangers manager, a man who demands respect, who motivates players, who carries himself with dignity, who speaks like a diplomat and who his players would run through a brick wall for. We need a Walter.

Not many of them out there these days, unfortunately.

One that fits your description might be Souness but that isn't happening.

Let's be honest, big Joe hasn't kicked a ball in weeks.

We all knew he wasn't going to impact on the game.

The big worry is Gio, having seen him play poorly recently, stuck with him. None of us would have.

Back