The Mentalness of the 1930 World Cup

bolivia-1930.jpg

Bolivia wore Viva Uruguay kits to pay respect to the host nation.

Thanks for posting. I remember reading an article that Uruguay's best player in that tournament only had one arm.

It was Hector Castro - https://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/the-1930-world-cup-the-story-of-the-one-armed-man
Scored in the final I'm sure.
The Rest is History podcast has a three part special on the history of the World Cup. Not so much about the football but more about the politics surrounding it and the mad stories that came from it.

Scored in the final I'm sure.
The Rest is History podcast has a three part special on the history of the World Cup. Not so much about the football but more about the politics surrounding it and the mad stories that came from it.
I liked the bit about playing with an Argentinian ball in the first half of the final, then Uruguay's in the second.

The early World Cups were deeply corrupt. There was a documentary a few years back about the shenanigans that went on on and off the park around then. The recent brown envelope World Cups in Russia and Qatar are not a new thing.

A someone mentioned on the Twitter replies, there's a TV minnie series in this, complete feckwittery, brilliant :))

"In possibly the most slapstick moment in World Cup history, the American manager rushed on to the field to confront the ref, tripped and smashed a bottle of chloroform in his pocket. The fumes knocked him unconscious and he had to be stretchered off"

is this true? Sounds crazy. Why did he even have chloroform in his pocket?

Back