The Nikola Katic Rangers masterplan as Steven Gerrard details why defender doesn't always play

Not a chance Goldson has been more consistent than Katic this season.

Talk of developing at the right pace doesn't do justice to his age and stage. 23 isn't 18. He's old enough and good enough to play in a position in which Rangers players before him were occupying at that age. Morelos is literally the same age.

In your opinion mate and you're perfectly entitled to it.

I'm not getting into one of these pathetic "Katic is brilliant, Goldson is pish" arguments.

As far as I'm concerned we've got 4 excellent central defenders.

Goldson has been an ever present in the best defence in the league.

Fluke?
Coincidence?
Or maybe, just maybe, he's picked every week because our manager thinks he's the best in that position.

Anyway, I'm delighted Niko has got his new contract and gets the opportunity to fulfil his outstanding potential at Ibrox.

Last edited by a moderator:
This for me. Gerrard obviously thinks Niko has discrepancies in his game and needs a bit of work and I respect that.
But when you watch him stroll through games while Goldson’s having the odd calamity beside him yet only one of them ever gets dropped, it’s quite baffling.
I don’t buy into the “he’s 22 and needs protected” patter either personally.
Look at Kieran Tierney at the same age.
I prefer the example of Derek Johnstone playing centre half in a European trophy winning team at 19.

I think long term he will play on the right side of the defence with Hellander. He is coming in very well a greatly improved player. We gave 4 quality centre backs. Just what we need.

Not a chance Goldson has been more consistent than Katic this season.

Talk of developing at the right pace doesn't do justice to his age and stage. 23 isn't 18. He's old enough and good enough to play in a position in which Rangers players before him were occupying at that age. Morelos is literally the same age.

I'd guess SG is confident Goldson can play through any mistakes without it affecting his overall game - and that's been proven correct.

I wouldn't generalise on age. It's about the individual.

The way he's being managed has been exemplary to be honest. He clearly is extremely highly thought of and we want to look after him.

I can't remember the last time we had so many quality centre back options.

In your opinion mate and you're perfectly entitled to it.

I'm not getting into one of these pathetic "Katic is brilliant, Goldson is pish" arguments.

As far as I'm concerned we've got 4 excellent central defenders.

Goldson has been an ever present in the best defence in the league.

Fluke?
Coincidence?
Or maybe, just maybe, he's picked every week because our manager thinks he's the best in that position.

Anyway, I'm delighted Niko has got his new contract and gets the opportunity to fulfil his outstanding potential at Ibrox.

I'm keen on the conversation not turning into a comparison between the two either, but on whatever grounds Katic is being dropped are fundamentally flawed.

If it's inexperience then it doesn't explain why just as young players surround him in the team; if it's inconsistency then we must be the only team in the league not to play our best performing centre half and in some occasions not even have him in the squad; and if it's due to rotation that doesn't explain why Goldson, in the exact same position, doesn't get dropped for similar reasons.

Gerrard may well feel that Goldson is the best defender we have but we're also dealing with a guy who issued a hands off plea about Katic last year and then dropped him for Joe fcking Worrall at the first opportunity - a Europa League tie against Villarreal, no less.

Anyway, congratulations to Katic. I'd probably be less tolerant of the situation if I were him so it's a credit to the kind of person he is that our best performing centre back hasn't kicked up a fuss about being dropped.

People need to remember that we have one of the best fitness teams in football. He might be out because of certain numbers and readings to try and keep him fitter for longer

I'm keen on the conversation not turning into a comparison between the two either, but on whatever grounds Katic is being dropped are fundamentally flawed.

If it's inexperience then it doesn't explain why just as young players surround him in the team; if it's inconsistency then we must be the only team in the league not to play our best performing centre half and in some occasions not even have him in the squad; and if it's due to rotation that doesn't explain why Goldson, in the exact same position, doesn't get dropped for similar reasons.

Gerrard may well feel that Goldson is the best defender we have but we're also dealing with a guy who issued a hands off plea about Katic last year and then dropped him for Joe fcking Worrall at the first opportunity - a Europa League tie against Villarreal, no less.

Anyway, congratulations to Katic. I'd probably be less tolerant of the situation if I were him so it's a credit to the kind of person he is that our best performing centre back hasn't kicked up a fuss about being dropped.

We'll need to agree to disagree on who our best CURRENT central defender is.

I'm a big fan of Niko and he's still got a huge amount of improvement in him, as he said himself today, but Goldson is our most consistent and reliable central defender currently for me.

The beauty of a forum mate, opinions differ.

I'm just delighted we've got four terrific options and the best defence in the league.

We'll need to agree to disagree on who our best CURRENT central defender is.

I'm a big fan of Niko and he's still got a huge amount of improvement in him, as he said himself today, but Goldson is our most consistent and reliable central defender currently for me.

The beauty of a forum mate, opinions differ.

I'm just delighted we've got four terrific options and the best defence in the league.

Let's put aside a high profile mistake in the Old Firm game and argue that Goldson is more reliable; he still isn't much more significantly reliable to justify one never getting dropped and the other dropped out of the team altogether. I also don't know why Morelos, Kamara or Barisic isn't tarred with the "he's still developing brush" because it's mostly a nonsensical piece of jargon that belies how good his performances have been this season.

Back