The Oranj Cup Final, 2000

mdingwall

Administrator
The idea of an Orange Cup Final tribute was germinated on the FF mesageboard and grew.

I can remember phoning Ian King who was Editor In Chief on those days of the Rangers publications and saying - 'It's going to happen - but it can happen in a nice way if the club back it" - and to be fair they did.

And the rest was history!

Can’t remember the name of the BBC commentator but just as the game was starting he questioned why we were having orange day and said/ suggested it was untoward

Playing almost an entire Scottish Cup Final with Robbie Winters as the opposition goalkeeper is definitely up there with my most bizarre Rangers experiences.
An we don't sing songs of Leighton injury either.

Shows how deranged and tin pot the sheep are re the ID injury

We felt sorry for them that day and played at 50% with the exception of 10 minutes after half time, when we scored 3 goals

We should have battered them that day. Double figures was easily gettable

I still have an official T shirt of Dick and Bert Van Lingen buried deep in my wardrobe that I suspect stems from that very day.

Can’t remember the name of the BBC commentator but just as the game was starting he questioned why we were having orange day and said/ suggested it was untoward
Mentions it right at the start of the clip,
Bitter W@#k

Reactions: krs
An we don't sing songs of Leighton injury either.

Shows how deranged and tin pot the sheep are re the ID injury

They will always gloat on that.

Sick bastards. Shite team. They knew we were far superior but went full pelt to beat us in any means.

We should have slaughtered them that day. It was their own fault Winters ended up in goals, as they never named a keeper as a sub, whereas we did.

I’d had an operation and was using crutches. Once we got back the bus my old man had to run back to hampden with the crutches as his mate had fallen down the stairs and couldn’t walk.

We went back to the pub, we were each taking a shot of the crutches to go for a piss etc.

My dads mate had broken his ankle and was off work for 8 weeks. Good times B-)

Incredible how it fell apart for Advocaat after that. As the article says, this was to help him stay! Within a few months, punters were wanting him chased.

It's a funny old game, as Churchill once said.

We appeared THAT far ahead of the rest, Advocaat was talking about having two teams, one to challenge in Europe and the other to win the SPL. Totally hubris, but nobody even thought that was unrealistic at the time from memory.

2000/01 Dearie - my first season following Rangers where we literally did not compete for the title. Went out the Scottish cup in March and had 2 months worth of dead rubbers in the league. Was a shock to the system to say the very least for guys of my generation.

My first Rangers game tbh. Couldn't get into the Ex Serviceman's in Tradeston as that's where our bus was leaving. I've heard that with Winters in goal that day, It was cup rules only 3 allowed on bench then hence they didn't have a keeper

That was when I first stumbled on FF, trying to find info about the orange day idea on that new Internet fad and discovered the message board, it was on rivals then I think.

That was a great day out. It came at a time when Dalglish was non-committal on the Celtic manager's job and was embarrassing himself by holding his press conferences in sh1tholes like Bairds. Before, during and after they game we were all singing "mibbes ayes mibbes naws" over and over again. :D

Great memory.

Worked with David Lilley for a while who was with Aberdeen at the time, he said he was injured and in the stand alongside Aberdeens no2 goalkeeper who wasn’t injured, Skovdahl just decided to go with a extra outfield sub

Worked with David Lilley for a while who was with Aberdeen at the time, he said he was injured and in the stand alongside Aberdeens no2 goalkeeper who wasn’t injured, Skovdahl just decided to go with a extra outfield sub
Sir Walter always named a keeper on the bench for cup games.

The idea of an Orange Cup Final tribute was germinated on the FF mesageboard and grew.

I can remember phoning Ian King who was Editor In Chief on those days of the Rangers publications and saying - 'It's going to happen - but it can happen in a nice way if the club back it" - and to be fair they did.

And the rest was history!

To be honest. With the players Rangers had at their disposal that day and the Sheep without a recognised goalie I was sickened that we took the foot off the gas (as we always do) and never attempted to win by a far higher scoreline. You can be sure it the boot was on the other foot they would have wanted to rub our noses in it.

Playing almost an entire Scottish Cup Final with Robbie Winters as the opposition goalkeeper is definitely up there with my most bizarre Rangers experiences.
Frankly I thought it devalued the whole occasion, not our fault of course. Leighton going off took all the usual drama out of the game, and left only the final score in doubt.

Prick cost me 300 quid. Had us to win 5-0 and he made a diving save in the last 5 minutes to screw me.

To be honest. With the players Rangers had at their disposal that day and the Sheep without a recognised goalie I was sickened that we took the foot off the gas (as we always do) and never attempted to win by a far higher scoreline. You can be sure it the boot was on the other foot they would have wanted to rub our noses in it.
Billy Dodds gave an interview to the Sun on this day two years ago in which he states that Advocaat went through the players at half-time for only being 1-0 ahead.

Although we all had a great day out in party mode the whole time, the game itself wasn't the best, especially after Leighton went off. We could and should have put a few more past them.

A bitter sweet moment, IMO. The denouement before everything started going downhill. Five games and £4m on Konterman later came the 6-2 game, then the panic set in.

‘The second greatest Dutch man to lead us to victory’

That’s what it said on my Orange T-shirt from memory.

Watched the final in Annie Millers.

Rod Wallace knocked Bandy Leighton out cold and Robbie Winters went in goal. Remember the sheep fans leaving the ground early was like a giant trap door...they just disappeared

Back