The performances, will they come?

Riquelme

Now before anyone goes off on one, it was a good victory today and this isn't a negative thread, its a discussion about the season so far.

The performances have been levels below what we're used to seeing from this team, bar a half or 2 along the way, even in the first 6 months of the 19/20 season the levels were far above this.

Does anyone still expect them to come? Maybe with Kent returning?

Personally I think we have it in us to keep grinding out victorys up to a point but we desperately need a couple of important January signings. Whether that be on loan or not, we need something new and fresh in that first 11. Possibly a Hagi type deal when he came in and was our only bright spark in the second half of that season.

Personally ,especially away from home,I don’t care as long as we pick up 3 points. A repeat of last season was never happening time for some to realise that.

When Kent returns , we'll see a different barasic aswell a think .Kent creates space for borna to get in to for his crosses .

If we put all of last season's performances and this season's together, our last three (Hearts, Brondby and St Mirren) would be quite high up the list.

I think it’s coming and we have been better. I hope we start to take a two goal lead in the league soon, though, my ticker can’t take much more already!

We lack real pace with Kent out the side, I also think we need to be managing Davis better. He can’t play 4/5 games in a 2.5 week period or however long its been. I don’t think the change from press to a med/low block helps when you have no real pace to get up the park quickly particularly when your strikers are off the boil.

We've just had arguably our two best performances back to back and have won away to one of the form teams in the league while not playing at our best. All we are missing is converting the chances we create.

In short, the performances are already more or less here.

They have to, we will inevitably drop silly points at some stage if the performances don't get better and more consistent over a 90 minute game.

We need pace in the front 3

Teams are happy to press us in the knowledge we wont be able to counter quickly

Sakala or Kent as one if the forward 3 gives defenders something to think about and naturally makes them drop off ten yards

I think the last 3 games we have started to perform well. There has been patches were we seem to take our foot off the gas but I’ve been a lot happier lately with the way we have played.
When Helander, Kent and Jack become available again we’ll be flying. Bacuna and sakala are just taking a bit of time to settle into the team, they’ll come good

The performances in overall terms could clearly be better. However last week we performed really well in the first half and should have won-matters not a fukc-results matter.

I suspect the manager knows improvements are required.

Evidence of good performances where we don’t give the opposition a sniff, I’m sure you can see that.
We don't look fluid, stable or mobile enough at the moment.

I trust the manager and the players to be working hard on it.....

We have been slow to get it together. Last three games have shown flashes of it. Today, after the start, was a winning performance.

We played better v hearts and didnt get the three points, so goals coming is more important for me.

Games like that tell you a lot about a team. Aribo, Hagi and Roofe are getting better game by game. A fully rested Kamara starting Wednesday. Kent and Jack to come back. We’ll be fine.

The performances in overall terms could clearly be better. However last week we performed really well in the first half and should have won-matters not a fukc-results matter.

I suspect the manager knows improvements are required.

He basically said so during the Sky interview.

He also mentioned the build up play and ball in from Tav was the only real bit of quality throughout the match.

Performances need to improve and we need to start finishing off the opposition. I was a bit frustrated with the second half performance and we seem to always concede last minute corners/free kicks when hanging on as our game management can be poor.

I didn't say top ten. You did.

We are talking a sample of near on 80 games.
They’ve still nowhere near the top of the list,

We dominated that game for 70 minutes but we still found ourselves sweating over a last minute corner only 2-1 up.

Away games will usually be quite tight affairs but I suspect we will start winning more convincingly at Ibrox soon

They’ve still nowhere near the top of the list,

We dominated that game for 70 minutes but we still found ourselves sweating over a last minute corner only 2-1 up.

Tell me how many games were identical last season. We were masters of the one goal win. The point is that we have seen last season style performances recently. Last season wasn't some swashbuckling demolition for the most part. It was controlled and measured and relentless.

Doesn't matter as long as we keep winning.

If we reach the end of the season, winning the rest of our games, even if not exactly getting out of first gear, some games being quite shit along the way, We'd look back as Champions and say it was tough but we got there.

II'll worry if we start losing.

I dont think so personally. I dont think we want to play open and expansive football. Gerrards style and tactics have evolved and its my opinion that he wants us to play more controlled and compact football.

We may not like watching it at times, but im fairly certain Gerrard will point to the table and say its effective.

Before any smart arse jumps in - im not saying Gerrard doesnt want us to destroy teams, im sure he does, but i just think tactically he is more concerned with controlling games than going for the jugular now.

Injuries to big players and COVID have really disrupted us this season.
I thought our form dropped off a good bit when Jack got injured last season, and apart from games here and there we have never really hit those heights since.
I’ve got to really hand it to the players who have got big results when the performance hasn’t been great.
However, a bad injury to Balogun or Goldson just now would be a big worry.

Personally ,especially away from home,I don’t care as long as we pick up 3 points. A repeat of last season was never happening time for some to realise that.
We definitely stepped it up after 25 minutes and got the goals which our play deserved.
Would have loved a 3rd goal to seal it however St Midden rarely threatned.
I’m more worried at how we started.

I've seen us play away to St Mirren since the mid 80s and can probably count on 1 hand the amount of good performances I've seen there. Most games seem to be like todays.

I dont think so personally. I dont think we want to play open and expansive football. Gerrards style and tactics have evolved and its my opinion that he wants us to play more controlled and compact football.

We may not like watching it at times, but im fairly certain Gerrard will point to the table and say its effective.

Before any smart arse jumps in - im not saying Gerrard doesnt want us to destroy teams, im sure he does, but i just think tactically he is more concerned with controlling games than going for the jugular now.
Agree with that.

This is our new level.

Last 3 games has been much better (the first 25mins of today apart) so hopefully now over the bad spell

The latter 75mins of today's game felt very last season. We totally controlled the 2nd half to the extent it was a procession apart from a slightly nervy ending.

We can get back to the performances from last season which we have seen glimpses of this season. Need a few things to come together though with a fit Kent / Jack, and being better in front of goal.

I've got a real issue when we hit the front in games. We rarely push on or to my eyes even try to play with any intensity. That for me is the reason we are witnessing so many nervous finishes.

Think it's a valid thread.

Regardless of our current league position I don't think it's even up for debate we've lost something significant from last season. I'm reluctant to use words like "regressed" but improvement is usually incremental when building a team. Have to be honest, as yet this season I'm struggling to see improvement.

I think we have missed Kent quite badly. Even when he himself is not playing well, his pace and dribbling can still cause doubts in most defences, giving other players more space.
I agree even an off form Kent is one of those players that can change games we miss him hugely.

I think it’s coming and we have been better. I hope we start to take a two goal lead in the league soon, though, my ticker can’t take much more already!
I actually do have a ticker problem and Rangers have not been helping me one little bit in recent weeks!!!

Today and 75 mins against Hearts I would say were pretty much on par with last season from the back to the middle.

We weren’t taking our chances against Hearts and we look to be turning the corner hopefully on that front too going by today’s performance. Albeit I think Fashion should have scored.

It’s a sore watch that for sure , i enjoyed us the first half against hearts , I wasn’t as enthusiastic as Gerrard was about Brondby Thursday either, we keep saying when we click we’ll pull away , that’s us 3 months in now

Back