The rebuild...what level of success do we accept/expect in Year 1?

Nothing less than the title is acceptable.

The only way I could forgive not winning the league is if we go on another run to a euro final, which lets face it we won’t

Aye, but this was also true of Beale and Gio.
Correct but the difference is that for whatever reason the board didn’t back Gio did back Beale massively and were humiliated by the con man. I believe Clement well and truly knows the size of the task ahead of him now but I don’t think there is a quick fix. We will need to be patient however hard that will be.

We have to win the league.

Theres been too many passengers within the squad and what we need is players with heart that can and will fight for the top position along with know what a derby means to the fans.

I hate to say it, but the manager is going to need 2 summer transfer windows - we have too many players who need replaced and unfortunately I can’t see everyone getting the bullet that should due to finances - I hope I’m wrong

I don't think there is a chance in hell that we are winning next years title.

We're in the same position Gerrard was in. I'll settle for starting to at least show improvements in Old Firm games. We need to see a team with hunger and belief.

Like Gerrard was tasked with stopping the 10, if we are sticking with Clement his job is making improvements and trying to stop them overtaking our number of titles. It's going to be very difficult.

We're in the same position Gerrard was in. I'll settle for starting to at least show improvements in Old Firm games. We need to see a team with hunger and belief.

Like Gerrard was tasked with stopping the 10, if we are sticking with Clement his job is making improvements and trying to stop them overtaking our number of titles. It's going to be very difficult.
I don't think the gap to be overhauled is any way comparable to 2018 tbh

Aye, but this was also true of Beale and Gio.
Beale should never have been anywhere near the job. Gio didn't get the chance to do anything like the squad rebuild Beale was allowed and I assume PC is to be allowed.

If we show improvement in OF games then I'd say there's every chance we'll win the title. Both teams dropped points against 'the rest' this season, so ultimately it was the OF games which decided it.

Its league title or bust really. We ran them close this season with the guts of a shite team. A rebuild is needed but if clement gets the right players in then there is no reason we can’t win it.

We should have started our rebuild after gerrard and have gifted them titles. They're on for another 9 in a row at this rate and the state our playing squad is in.

Shocking mismanagement of contracts, transfers and youth development. Then again, what's new!

We need vast improvement but sadly it also depends on what that mob do. You would think they will improve on this season, which makes the task harder for us. We need to hope they make an arse of their transfers again like they have been doing over the last 12-18 months.

We really need to win the league.

We actually need to start winning a few in a row if we really want to get the Winning Rangers mentality back into the club.

We still had a chance going into the penultimate weekend this season, so we're not as far behind as people are making out. Expecting the title next season is not an unrealistic expectation.

People are talking about wanted virtually every outfield player punted.

thats a level of rebuild that will take more than one season

It can be done, but the recruitment has to be spot on. Advocaat did it, it was essentially a new squad with few retained (Durie, Ferguson, Albertz, etc). The issue is that Advocaat had a budget that we can only dream of now.

Say, for example, we get the proper gutting of the squad that the vast majority of the fanbase want (myself included), what level of success will you be expecting for next season?

If results aren't immediately great, does Clement get the time warranted to build the success? How much time does a new look team get to gel?

Is the league a 'must win', or would you accept that another league challenge and a distinctive style of play to be acceptable?

I understand that even going into a new season saying anything other than 'must win the league' is growing to draw ire on here, but im genuinely curious as to what our expectations for next season are.
Champions, no less than that.

Say, for example, we get the proper gutting of the squad that the vast majority of the fanbase want (myself included), what level of success will you be expecting for next season?

If results aren't immediately great, does Clement get the time warranted to build the success? How much time does a new look team get to gel?

Is the league a 'must win', or would you accept that another league challenge and a distinctive style of play to be acceptable?

I understand that even going into a new season saying anything other than 'must win the league' is growing to draw ire on here, but im genuinely curious as to what our expectations for next season are.
Nobody gets time at Rangers. We lost to Kilmarnock and Celtic the first month of this season with a massively new squad, and a massive chunk of the fan base wanted the manager sacked then. If it goes the same the start of next season, it will be the same reaction.

We need to win a title.

How far have we fallen to be accepting of improvement before the season has even started.

Yip its creeping in more and more on here, that we don't need to win things anymore coming 2nd isn't a level of success I'd be happy with we've no divine right to win the League, but fortunately we have a Manager that wants to win every competition we enter

We're not really. The League is must, and either this manager can do it, or we get someone else in who can do it; nothing by the League title has to the ambition though.

Staunchometer is strong in this thread.

DRIUW_IXkAA6D9Z.jpg

Of course Rangers fans expect the title every year. But the reality is it’s only happened once in the last 13 seasons. And you can’t keep sacking managers for failing to win it every season.

So if a massively rebuilt Rangers team finishes a close second in the league, wins a cup, and has a decent run in Europe… you’re going to sack the manager?

As much as I would like to say "the league or he is fired" I think we need to understand the mess we are in and it's an absolute enormous mess. Probably near on the mess Gerrard inherited.

Next year we have next to no sellable assets and high earning players (Dowell, Matondo and Davies) who offer next to nothing. As a fan you accept nothing less than the league but if you are a decision maker at the club you need to see if genuine progress has been made. Genuine progress would be winning trophies. Let's not forget that's something that we have been embarrassingly bad at of late.

Although very unlikely, if we win the Scottish cup Clement is 2 from 3. That would make mean he has won more than the other managers after we came back up. This is a club at the moment with no culture of winning. If Clement can win 2 of the next 4 trophies (even if he misses out on the league) it would be hard for the board to sack him.

So basically are in a bad place.

Spirit, attitude, consistency, the removal of James Tavernier and Conor Goldson from the squad and at the very least an Old Firm win (when it counts). We need a trophy but I’m not demanding the league title because it’s going to be a tall order.

If we are trending in the right direction with a new captain and fresh scene then the fans will get on board.

OTOH, they’ll be odds on for 4IAR and that’s when the pressure to stop 10 starts again

DRIUW_IXkAA6D9Z.jpg

Of course Rangers fans expect the title every year. But the reality is it’s only happened once in the last 13 seasons. And you can’t keep sacking managers for failing to win it every season.

So if a massively rebuilt Rangers team finishes a close second in the league, wins a cup, and has a decent run in Europe… you’re going to sack the manager?
No, but the most important thing is a massively rebuilt Rangers team. That’s a non-negotiable

We are back in the same position as we were prior to Gerrard coming in, in terms of the clear out that is needed.

It’s a huge ask to rebuild the team successfully in one window but it is possible. We can’t afford to be in the same position next season where we are rebuilding again, we need to see significant progress and stability under Clement for the next few seasons

We're not really. The League is must, and either this manager can do it, or we get someone else in who can do it; nothing by the League title has to the ambition though.
We are in a better position as when Gerrard took over but Gerrard didn't have potentially unshiftable high earners who contribute nothing/ little .

Look at the players Davies, Matondo, Lawrance, Dowell. They are all on more than 20k a week. To be able to bring in players that can make a difference we are going to have to find a way to bin them.

We have a big summer coming up but what I would say is that our main rivals were not great either this year and if it were not for injuries I would have expected a much closer title race than it ended up. We have been on our knees injury wise all season. That combined with clearing out our serial losers gives me a bit of hope but the new squad needs to gel and gel quick. That is my concern. If we could qualify for the CL this year and get a share of the big money that will help greatly with the rebuild. It will be interesting to see what the other mob spend this summer. They have plenty to spare. The issue is they always seem to find a nugget which they then flog to keep bolstering the pot.

The league, we don’t need a massive rebuild to beat 99% of the shite on this league. We keep going on about it but if we hadn’t dropped points goat them we’d probably be champions and the atmosphere would be 100% different.
We can’t keep handing them Champs league money season after season to buy better quality players. One or two season of that cash and get us back to a decent position financially then we can compete better.

DRIUW_IXkAA6D9Z.jpg

Some sense at last. These threads about what "we'll accept" are really cringey for the entitlement and delusion on show.

I'd add beating Celtic into your last paragraph though, I think that's something that definitely needs to start happening.

We target the treble and a run in Europe, that needs to be the goals.

Season always have context though, if we have another injury ravaged one then we can forget it.

Clement won’t get time to turn the club around if we aren’t beating Celtic to the league.

Has to be league won next season

Phill did well with Beales dregs he can win it next year. We lost 10 points to themn6 by ref decisions they aing that far in front so winning is only option

I would accept the league the season after and a cup next season. We’ve seen in recent years how difficult it is to find the consistency need for a successful league campaign. Stevie G, our only successful manager in recent years, took a couple of seasons to put together a winning team. It’s not just about getting players to gel, it’s all the other important elements of success. Key to that is building a team to recruit new players, a role most new managers replace when they join. They need to build a team of sources which takes time. It’s not enough to just have contacts the manager knows, it’s about those contacts having confidence in the signing club, in this case Rangers. Agents are not likely to push their best prospects our way knowing that our managers come and go rapidly often accompanied by radical changes in the squad. I know agents are pretty hard nosed but the good ones have a reputation to protect and they have plenty of options. Trust takes time to win and is essential if you are looking to develop successful player trading and reputation.

1. Young sellable players that are hungry to impress
2. Manager implements a better style of play to watch
3. The players become fitness freaks and stop with the constant injuries

Back