Article The Scottish Cup 1928 - The Hoodoo is broken

If time travel was possible, this game would my first stop on my tour of Rangers history.

Qn04xZK.jpg

When did the importance of winning the league begin to outweigh glory in the cup?

It seems on both sides of the border that winning the cup was at one time seen as more prestigious than winning the league championship. Even watching the new 99 documentary about Man Utd's treble winning season Paul Scholes mentions in it he never grew up dreaming of winning the league, it was always about scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup final.

When did the importance of winning the league begin to outweigh glory in the cup?

It seems on both sides of the border that winning the cup was at one time seen as more prestigious than winning the league championship. Even watching the new 99 documentary about Man Utd's treble winning season Paul Scholes mentions in it he never grew up dreaming of winning the league, it was always about scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup final.

When the European Cup came in I'd say, which was the 1950s. But winning the cup, on both sides of the border, was still massive. Even the early rounds of the cups saw huge crowds. It started to change the year Man Utd withdrew from the FA Cup (1992 I think?) to play in some crappy tournament in South America. They were heavily fined and the tournament in South America got derisory viewing figures but that was the start of the bigger teams putting out weakened teams for cup games. A real shame.

Great article @dh1963 and kudos to @ao2 for the additional photos. Contrary to rumour, I was not at that game but I was told about it so many times by my grandfather. That was his team and even at a distance of 35-40 years, you could tell he was back at Hampden at the 1928 Cup Final and not as an increasingly frail old man sitting in his seat in the family home.

It was good to see a photo of the Meek/Meik looking very smart in his Crombie.

Great article @dh1963 and kudos to @ao2 for the additional photos. Contrary to rumour, I was not at that game but I was told about it so many times by my grandfather. That was his team and even at a distance of 35-40 years, you could tell he was back at Hampden at the 1928 Cup Final and not as an increasingly frail old man sitting in his seat in the family home.

It was good to see a photo of the Meek/Meik looking very smart in his Crombie.
New avatar picture for you!

Its amusing how in those days the Hoodoo came to absolutely overshadow the club - the Cup in those days having a huge pull on the public's attention.

Is it the same idea as this one from 1960? My dad had this one.

No mate I also have that one, when the daughter comes home from work I'll get her to post a picture of it. It's more like a half pint glass, very fine. I have it well protected.

Back