The Scottish Cup in the Blue Room

Have always thought its the nicest looking cup as well as the oldest...ie the same cup given out to Queens Park in 1874 is the same one given to Tav on Saturday.
I'd started a thread on Saturday with a question about the Scottish Cup in the aftermath of the final. Needless to say replies there were none. :)

Anyway, this gives me the opportunity to resurrect my questions.

Is the lid on the cup detachable? I seem to think it used to be, but the way Tav lifted it, it looked welded on (and I know it's a replica that's presented).

Also, seeing the cup on its base, didn't it used to be tradition that the winning goalie used to pick this up during the presentation?

Old School Loyal
:))

Last edited:
It's not the real Scottish Cup in the blue room though? I'm sure I've read on here before that it never leaves Hampden.
The winning side are presented the real trophy and allowed to parade it around Hampden then it’s taken off them and put back into the Football Museum.

Well that’s what we were told by a tour guide at Hampden

It's not the real Scottish Cup in the blue room though? I'm sure I've read on here before that it never leaves Hampden.
I wasn't aware of that but yes you are correct...I guess being 148 years old the original must be priceless.

I wasn't aware of that but yes you are correct...I guess being 148 years old the original must be priceless.

They had it on The Antiques Roadshow and it was valued at £1m

I'd started a thread on Saturday with a question about the Scottish Cup in the aftermath of the final. Needless to say replies there were none. :)

Is the lid on the cup detachable? I seem to think it used to be, but the way Tav lifted it, it looked welded on (and I know it's a replica that's presented).

Also, seeing the cup on its base, didn't it used to be tradition that the winning goalie used to pick this up during the presentation?

Old School Loyal

Check the clip from antiques road show mate about the lid

Old School Loyal
Is it not the real cup that's presented on the day? And yes I remember the keeper taking the base.

scottish-cup-final-rangers-versus-partick-thistle-21783302.jpg
glasgow-rangers-3-v-east-fife-0-21865687.jpg
1305701_big-lnd.jpg
0_GL559480.jpg
gn17a.png

Old School Loyal
I can definitely remember players putting the lid on their heads when I was younger?

Have always thought its the nicest looking cup as well as the oldest...ie the same cup given out to Queens Park in 1874 is the same one given to Tav on Saturday.
The Cup is very fragile, the silver connecting the handles to the body has worn so thin it’s in serious danger of being beyond repair so there are 3 replicas, the BBC have one as do whoever has the rights, Premier just now, the Original is presented to the Winning Captain then switched for a replica and the Original is put back into the Hampden Museum.

Old School Loyal
Yes.

I mind Carlos Cuellar having a wee mishap when showing the trophy off to the fans and inadvertently throwing the lid into the bears in the front of the North Stand B-D

I was at Hampden for photos 4 and 5. The first of these would have been against St Mirren in ’62. Simple reason - the bears can be seen in the ’other’ end, the East terracing, celebrating. The following year, that end was empty on the Wednesday replay as we’d defeated the Celtc (sic) 3-0 and they all scurried home before the presentation. The 5th of these photos was the changed strip of stripes for the 3-1 win over Dundee. I can’t recall in modern times from the 60’s onwards if we have ever worn and won a Scottish Cup or League Cup outwith the traditional blue jersey. I’m sure some of FF’s historians will correct me if I’m wrong.

I have held the replica the clubs get and it’s actually heavier than it looks and I doubt the sfa would be happy if the original cup was just carried in a holdall as it was when it was brought over to Dublin on a visit to our rsc.

I was at Hampden for photos 4 and 5. The first of these would have been against St Mirren in ’62. Simple reason - the bears can be seen in the ’other’ end, the East terracing, celebrating. The following year, that end was empty on the Wednesday replay as we’d defeated the Celtc (sic) 3-0 and they all scurried home before the presentation. The 5th of these photos was the changed strip of stripes for the 3-1 win over Dundee. I can’t recall in modern times from the 60’s onwards if we have ever worn and won a Scottish Cup or League Cup outwith the traditional blue jersey. I’m sure some of FF’s historians will correct me if I’m wrong.
There’s been at least a couple mate - League Cup against St Johnstone in 1998 we were in red. Scottish Cup against Dundee in 2003 we were in white. Not sure if there were others.

Back