The Speed of Play paradox

Although I get what you are saying about ridiculous shouts from the crowd but as per the video we can hardly compare the defence of half the SPL to the likes of Liverpool and Man City etc who are composed enough on the ball to expose a poor press, if we presses half the league then they are poor enough that they would make mistakes and give up possession.

The point of the video was to say that heedless chicken presses against the best players in the world are counterproductive, we are not playing against the best in the world.

Most SPFL sides don't try and play out against us and just boot it up the park. Can't press that.

Although I get what you are saying about ridiculous shouts from the crowd but as per the video we can hardly compare the defence of half the SPL to the likes of Liverpool and Man City etc who are composed enough on the ball to expose a poor press, if we presses half the league then they are poor enough that they would make mistakes and give up possession.

The point of the video was to say that heedless chicken presses against the best players in the world are counterproductive, we are not playing against the best in the world.
It's not about the SPFL for us but it's very relevant against our European opponents.

Just hoof the ball up the park and run. Job done.

None of these hipster pulled pork/craft beer football tactics.

I think I'd rather listen to the half-pished tacticians that sit around me than listen to thon monotonous yank bore havering away. B-D

I remember that being one of the first things I noticed from watching football on TV vs playing 11s - it looks like they've all got so much time and whenever I played the second the ball came to me you'd have someone charging at you and putting you under pressure. It's probably why the very talented stand out so much for finding space and being able to make it/seek it consistently. I remember watching McGinn at youth level, and he was constantly a step or two ahead of the ones chasing him down. I imagine it's similar for most professional footballers, regardless of position.

Similarly, a local boy here, by far one the of best players ever to come from this village but never made it beyond the top amateur level said he played with Jason Holt at youth level and he was miles ahead in speed of thought and finding space etc. And that's just Jason Holt, not Xavi or Iniesta, so I dread to think what it's like at that very top level.

I think the issue here is that you haven't given an explanation of how we'd do that tactically. It seems to be just a bit of blood and thunder and go direct which I'm taking to mean just long balls. If you could expand a bit it might be clearer.

Even an example of a succesful European team who are playing such a style would help.
"Jist get fuckin stuck intae thum. Let thum know whit it's awful about"

Football, Scottish style.

I think I fall into the category of, played at an ok level 12 years ago when everyone played 4-4-2... It was all we knew at amatuer league back then and because me and many others never made it any higher the amount football has changed over the last decade doesn't register in a lot of our fans brains. Man city will make 20 passes along their back 4 and keeper waiting for one mistake from the oppositions press because the 3 passes after that mistake will probably take them to the by line at the opposite side of the pitch.

Edit; wrote this before watching the full video so it's probably all shite. Anyway, enjoy the beers as much as me. Yeha haha

"Dessers is running about like a headless fucking chicken"

Match thread special
Scottish football is a paradox in itself!
Professional football league with millionaire salary, here's a plastic pitch the same as the 5 a side leagues and a defender who doesn't play conventionally! Rather than control and pass back to the GK and widen the pitch for an outball, he fucking leathers it and hopes a shy at best. It's no wonder a trained press that works in top leagues looks so poor up here.
Clement seems to have it sussed though

I remember that being one of the first things I noticed from watching football on TV vs playing 11s - it looks like they've all got so much time and whenever I played the second the ball came to me you'd have someone charging at you and putting you under pressure. It's probably why the very talented stand out so much for finding space and being able to make it/seek it consistently. I remember watching McGinn at youth level, and he was constantly a step or two ahead of the ones chasing him down. I imagine it's similar for most professional footballers, regardless of position.
The question everyone wants to ask though….when someone charged you down, did you shite it and %^*& your touch up and give it away? :)) :)) :))

Hes a professional player in the states, albeit a level below MLS.
He has some really good football videos. Football there is an interesting sport and although its been a few years since I lived there you could see what high school teams and that were trying to do. Try to grow the sport in a more organic manner than places like Saudi. It's still a minority sport but it's pure snobbishness to write it off as only the MLS. The teams there would put most of the Scottish teams to shame, as would the Saudi league.

He has some really good football videos. Football there is an interesting sport and although its been a few years since I lived there you could see what high school teams and that were trying to do. Try to grow the sport in a more organic manner than places like Saudi. It's still a minority sport but it's pure snobbishness to write it off as only the MLS. The teams there would put most of the Scottish teams to shame, as would the Saudi league.

I'd imagine 90% of MLS teams would finish at least 3rd, easily, in the SPL

I often think that assessing the speed of play is confused with assessing the speed of the players movement. When you step up in levels of ability, it seems to me there is rarely a substantial difference in the speed of movement in the players, but in the speed of the ball and the decision making.

I often think that assessing the speed of play is confused with assessing the speed of the players movement. When you step up in levels of ability, it seems to me there is rarely a substantial difference in the speed of movement in the players, but in the speed of the ball and the decision making.

Agreed. Physical speed of someone isn't really related in any way to ability. I've seen plenty very fast sprinters who are absolutely hopeless at football. It's speed of thought the elite players have.

Back