Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Miller can’t be that much better than rice and McKinnon,where he jumps them straight into the first team?? We’ve been plodding with a 2 man midfield headed by lundstrum and our young boys are stewing on the bench and B team.

Based on what? He's had a full year of senior football.

Its not snobbery it's a lazy line that always gets thrown about on here. It's Millers 1st full season as a professional he's 17 years old that has played 24 full games in minutes and still has a long way to go in his development. £3m is a lot of money for a player in those circumstances where it can still go either way for him at his age.

Realistically is he coming here to be a 1st team starter for that price? No so how do we continue his development at that age cause sitting on the bench does nothing for him.
Going by Clement’s comments recently, I think if Miller were to be signed he’d feature fairly regularly. Motherwell are already anticipating bids coming in for him after this first season.

We seem quite comfortable spending 3m on the likes of Matondo, Hagi, Lammers etc. we need to stop thinking 3m for a player in Scotland is too expensive then they go elsewhere and it’s “we should have got him before he left…”

I have a feeling that if we don’t move for him he’ll be another McGinn/Ferguson where it’s an opportunity missed.

Understand that managers want to keep the likes of Wright fit but one of my big frustrations is when a game is out of sight and you see a 30 year old coming on while leaving 18 year olds on the bench. Get them some experience.
Agreed.

Its obviously easy to say this as fans, but I’d like to see us take a chance on a guy like Miller rather than give perma injured Ryan Jack another deal because he meets a quota.

Going by Clement’s comments recently, I think if Miller were to be signed he’d feature fairly regularly. Motherwell are already anticipating bids coming in for him after this first season.

We seem quite comfortable spending 3m on the likes of Matondo, Hagi, Lammers etc. we need to stop thinking 3m for a player in Scotland is too expensive then they go elsewhere and it’s “we should have got him before he left…”

I have a feeling that if we don’t move for him he’ll be another McGinn/Ferguson where it’s an opportunity missed.
I'd argue that signing players from this league is now critical.

We don't have a bottomless pit & it may help the fact that we have 6-7 signings minimum every summer all bedding into the Scottish league at the same time.

We need to start taking punts on players who know this league. Yes, it can be risky but there are easily 4-5 players we could afford who would undoubtedly improve the squad

And its all easier to say in hindsight with those players you mention Hickey another etc where they go to teams that allow players time to develop.

You list crap players there but people didn't think we should sign Tillman whose just been sold for £15m as an example. £3m for a 17 year old in his first full season of mens football is expensive

And its all easier to say in hindsight with those players you mention Hickey another etc where they go to teams that allow players time to develop.

You list crap players there but people didn't think we should sign Tillman whose just been sold for £15m as an example. £3m for a 17 year old in his first full season of mens football is expensive
A £3m fee for a player like that would be heavily incentive driven.

The up-front fee would probably be less than half of the overall figure we'd eventually pay, assuming the boy is a success.

It would be good business.

That mob have just won a league with Greg Taylor and Scales being regulars. Not every player in team needs to be a world beater to be successful.

The reality is this summer in amongst the 'glamour' signings there will 100% have to be some squad player/not exciting signings as well.
When was the last glamour signing that lived up to the hype. I'd expect most players we sign that we haven't heard of them

I know Lennon Miller's older brother and he wants to go down to England or Spain.

I don't think we will get him.
Can’t blame him if that’s the case, play at the highest level he can, but it all depends on the offers he gets at the end of the day.

Based on what? He's had a full year of senior football.
I put a question mark pal. If he comes in surely our youth players can’t see a way to the first team. Rice especially was regarded a better talent than Miller I’m sure and Gerrard raved about McKinnon. It’s a bit of a pickle.

I'd argue that signing players from this league is now critical.

We don't have a bottomless pit & it may help the fact that we have 6-7 signings minimum every summer all bedding into the Scottish league at the same time.

We need to start taking punts on players who know this league. Yes, it can be risky but there are easily 4-5 players we could afford who would undoubtedly improve the squad

The tims have shown you don't need players that know the league to win the title. They've won the last 3 titles whilst signing 1 player from the league on a free transfer and that was Siegrist who hasn't got a sniff for them.

What needs to improve is recruitment in general it's been a major issue for us the last 2-3 years.

SQUAD OF 24/25 CONTRACTED PLAYERS

Keepers:

Robby McCrorie (26) - contract 6/2025
Kieran Wright (25) - contract 6/2025
Jack Butland (31) - contract 6/2027

Defence
Adam Devine (21) – RB – contract 6/2025
Johnly Yfeko (21) - CB contract 6/2026
James Tavernier (32) – RB- contract 6/2026
Leon King (20) - CB - contract 6/2026
Connor Goldson (31) - CB - contract 6/2026
John Souttar (27) - CB - contract 6/2026
Ben Davies (28) - CB - contract 6/2026
Ridvan Yilmaz (22) - LB - contract 6/2027
Dujon Sterling (24) - Anywhere - contract 6/2027

Midfield
Tom Lawrence (30) - AM - contract 6/2025
Scott Wright (26) - LW/RW - contract 6/2025
Alex Lowry (20) - AM - contract 6/2025
Rabbi Matondo (23) – LW/RW - contract 6/2026
Ianis Hagi (25) - AM – contract 6/2026
Todd Cantwell (26) - AM – contract 6/2026
Kieran Dowell (26) - AM - contract 6/2026
Nico Raskin (23) - CM – contract 6/2026
Ross Mcausland (21) - RW - contract 6/2027
Mohamed Diomande (22) - CM - contract ?

Strikers
Sam Lammers (27) - ST - contract 6/2027
Cyriel Dessers (29) - ST contract 6/2027
Danilo (25) - ST - contact 6/2028
Looking at this with an eye on Europe - 25 players listed, 4 club trained (McCrorie, Wright, Devine and McCausland plus 2 in Lowry and King on B list) and a further 2 nation trained (Souttar, Wright).

With no further outgoings, any incoming from now (that aren’t nation trained as we have two spaces) will need the other players above to not be registered.

Looking at this with an eye on Europe - 25 players listed, 4 club trained (McCrorie, Wright, Devine and McCausland plus 2 in Lowry and King on B list) and a further 2 nation trained (Souttar, Wright).

With no further outgoings, any incoming from now (that aren’t nation trained as we have two spaces) will need the other players above to not be registered.

Lowry turns 21 before the season starts so he could go on the A-list same with Mackinnon which would mean less reliance on the Scottish market. However whether Lowry and Mackinnon will be regulars or even with us next season will be the issue.

Fair enough post for the most part but there's a few things I'm not sure about. For a start I don't think the board will be adding much of their own money. I reckon any fees we pay will come from mostly what we bring in on fees, what we save in wages then we'll get a few transfers and a couple of loans. I don't think Clement will be looking to start the season with Sterling as his first choice centre mid either, I reckon he'll be looking to get his own natural centre mids in there. It doesn't really seem like he fancies Sterling at CM as any more than a cover option. As for Tav and the right back position I reckon he'll still be the number one.

All guess work ofcourse but just my thoughts.

Fair enough and yep, just pure speculation for now as we see what the summer brings.

You might be right re board money and I get that our accounts are still a bit unstable. All the more reason its imperative we get top dollar for Butland. But if we do somehow manage to get through cl qualifiers and into cl proper and it's before the window shuts, I'd like to think they might splash a bit of that cash in advance if there's stlll weaknesses to address in the squad.

With Sterling, I get what you're saying as Clement has seemed reluctant to use him in CM (even though i think he's shown some real qualities suited to it). But it's only fair that we give him a settled position for next season as he should be in the first 11 every week (and definitely not RW for me) and can't go on being a utility player forever. Maybe that's RB btw...

Which brings me on nicely to Tav. Love the guy, been a great servant and you simply can't argue with his scoring record. But...the inevitable decline will hasten next season imo and his defensive frailties even more exposed. Plus if we really want to move away from the current "leadership" group and refresh the mentality, it feels like time is up and a clean break is needed - Tav, Goldson, Lundstrum and all. No problem with him staying if no bid comes in for him but it needs to be a reduced role imo e.g. not captain and not starting every single game.

Lowry turns 21 before the season starts so he could go on the A-list same with Mackinnon which would mean less reliance on the Scottish market. However whether Lowry and Mackinnon will be regulars or even with us next season will be the issue.
I think he’s still B list eligible so there’s no point in putting him on the A list, we don’t gain anything from that. You’re right on McKinnon, he could go into the club/nation trained spots if he’s still around.

Hysterical to watch people still comment about players like Armstrong not what we need after the summer transfer window last year. Lammers, Dessers shows you just because players have played in decent leagues or teams that they may not suit our league or team playing style. I’d much rather have signed Ferguson for £4/5m than Raskin/Cifu. Not as glamorous I know but knows what it’s like playing here and the pressure to win every game.

We need a right winger so I’m glad we are linked with one from our league. Successful rangers teams have always had a good base of Scottish/British players. Weir, Whittaker, Naismith, Laffery, Thomson, Boyd, Miller have all won leagues with us.

I’m not saying we should sign Scottish over quality but we do need a small group of players who know what this league and club is all about.

Barron, Watson, Miller should have been tracked at youth level and then when they have broken into their respective 1st teams. Why can’t we buy them and loan them back. Scottish teams have no money so we should be creative about recruiting these types of players. Along with your Diomande’s, Cortes and Sima deals. That, in my view, would lead to a successful squad

Hysterical to watch people still comment about players like Armstrong not what we need after the summer transfer window last year. Lammers, Dessers shows you just because players have played in decent leagues or teams that they may not suit our league or team playing style. I’d much rather have signed Ferguson for £4/5m than Raskin/Cifu. Not as glamorous I know but knows what it’s like playing here and the pressure to win every game.

We need a right winger so I’m glad we are linked with one from our league. Successful rangers teams have always had a good base of Scottish/British players. Weir, Whittaker, Naismith, Laffery, Thomson, Boyd, Miller have all won leagues with us.

I’m not saying we should sign Scottish over quality but we do need a small group of players who know what this league and club is all about.

Barron, Watson, Miller should have been tracked at youth level and then when they have broken into their respective 1st teams. Why can’t we buy them and loan them back. Scottish teams have no money so we should be creative about recruiting these types of players. Along with your Diomande’s, Cortes and Sima deals. That, in my view, would lead to a successful squad
I agree with much of what you say, but we’re not rolling in money either, so buying and loaning back isn’t a great use of our resources, and also they can sell these boys down to England or abroad.
We need to be more comfortable giving younger players breathing space to possibly start slowly and improve. We have a long, sad history of NOT developing players, and players leaving us and having decent careers at places they were allowed to get some experience.

There is no way in hell we are spending any of our budget this season on players to loan them back out.

We are needing starting players in just about every position.

The tims have shown you don't need players that know the league to win the title. They've won the last 3 titles whilst signing 1 player from the league on a free transfer and that was Siegrist who hasn't got a sniff for them.
Good to see some transfer thread myths being busted early. Won’t stop the same nonsense being repeated constantly though.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but does Lowry not only have 1 year left this summer? I cant see him making it with is now therefore could be used as part of a deal for any transfer from a Scottish club.

That's what we've got to think about too. Much rather have a player who suits us better and much less of a risk for a heftier fee than signing two players that are more of a risk but less on each.

Instead of Danilo and Lammers for instance we could have got us someone more suitable, the likes of Shankland or Miovski.

One of the many many many things that separate a Smith from a Beale. Let's hope Clement is closer to Smith than Beale on the manager scale.

Its not snobbery it's a lazy line that always gets thrown about on here. It's Millers 1st full season as a professional he's 17 years old that has played 24 full games in minutes and still has a long way to go in his development. £3m is a lot of money for a player in those circumstances where it can still go either way for him at his age.

Realistically is he coming here to be a 1st team starter for that price? No so how do we continue his development at that age cause sitting on the bench does nothing for him.

If our resources were such that we could spend a few million on players like that and leave them on loan at their current club to continue development for a year or two, that would be the best approach.

I'm just not convinced we'll ever really be in a position to spend that way, not without making sacrifices in the short term that our support won't want to see at least.

If you asked our fans if they'd want us to spend £3m on Lennon Miller with him staying at Motherwell for a year at least to develop, or £3m on a 22 year old midfielder from a club abroad who is expected to come straight into the team, I'd imagine there would be a big majority who would choose the latter.

Really we need, 2 wingers, a striker, 2 cm, 2 cd, lb, gk.

I actually think we will get decent money in. Probably well upwards of 30 mill for butland, lammers, ridvan possibly, Wright, potentially cantwell or Lawrence who knows. That's even before we talk about goldson or tav going to Saudi potentially.

Money will be there and I remember reading an interview where we budget for europa group qualification. The key is reducing the wage bill and getting more value for money. The ooc players before sales clear up alot so we do have the canvas for somewhat of a fresh start and I am excited by what koppen will be able to do this summer with some proper planning done during the season. The net has been cast wide so let's see how the analytical approach works.
We need as it stands

LB ( maybe X2 ) Ridvan and Borna

3 CB Balugun Davies Goldson

1 RB Tav

1 CM Lundstrum

2AM Lawrence , Cantwell and wee need one

2 LW Sima, Silva

2 RW Wright and wee need one

2 CF Roofe and we need one

That’s assuming Butland doesn’t go!

We have a major job to do I suppose

Good to see some transfer thread myths being busted early. Won’t stop the same nonsense being repeated constantly though.

They obviously signed Taylor and Turnbull before that but in the last 3 years Siegrist is the only player they've signed from Scotland.

Our recruitment in that period has been poor they've had their poor year this year and got away with it.

Bair from Motherwell has been excellent tore us apart with strength , tenacity , strong running , hold up play and finished his chance well
He is also good in the air , something we lack.
God knows what deal he has with Motherwell or how much they would want , but imho he is better than Dessers and would do well for us

Back