Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Keepers:
Robby McCrorie (26) - contract 6/2025 - Sell (£500k)
Kieran Wright (25) - contract 6/2025 - Keep
Jack Butland (31) - contract 6/2027 - KEEP
Buy new 2nd choice goalie and or promote a youth player

Defence

Adam Devine (21) – RB – contract 6/2025 - New Contact and Loan Out
Johnly Yfeko (21) - CB contract 6/2026 - Loan Out
James Tavernier (32) – RB- contract 6/2026 - Sell, only if Saudi interest is real (£6/7m) :(
Leon King (20) - CB - contract 6/2026 - Keep as 4th/5th choice
Connor Goldson (31) - CB - contract 6/2026 - Sell (£3m)
John Souttar (27) - CB - contract 6/2026 - Keep as 2nd choice/rotational RCB
Ben Davies (28) - CB - contract 6/2026 - Sell (£3m)
Ridvan Yilmaz (22) - LB - contract 6/2027 - Keep
Dujon Sterling (24) - Anywhere - contract 6/2027 - Keep as Midfielder/Back up RB
Jose Cordoba In - £3m LCB
Jefte - £500k
Ben Johnson In - Free
First Choice RCB in

Midfield

Tom Lawrence (30) - AM - contract 6/2025 - Sell (£1m)
Scott Wright (26) - LW/RW - contract 6/2025 - Sell (£500k)
Alex Lowry (20) - AM - contract 6/2025 - Keep and New Contract
Rabbi Matondo (23) – LW/RW - contract 6/2026 - Sell (£4m)
Ianis Hagi (25) - AM – contract 6/2026 - Sell (£4m)
Todd Cantwell (26) - AM – contract 6/2026 - Keep
Kieran Dowell (26) - AM - contract 6/2026 - Sell (£2m)
Nico Raskin (23) - CM – contract 6/2026 - Keep
Ross Mcausland (21) - RW - contract 6/2027 - Keep
Mohamed Diomande (22) - CM - contract ? - Keep
Bailey Rice - Promote to First Team/Loan Out
Connor Barron In - Free
David Watson In - £2m
Cortes in - Loan with option to buy
Sima In - Loan
Danny Armstrong In - £2m (Wright replacement)
Box to Box Midfielder In
Creative Number 6 Midfielder In
Winger/Striker Hybrid

Strikers

Sam Lammers (27) - ST - contract 6/2027 - Sell (£4m)
Cyriel Dessers (29) - ST contract 6/2027 - Sell (£4m)
Danilo (25) - ST - contact 6/2028 - Keep
Lawrence Shankland In - £2m
Kilechi Iheanacho In - Free

Transfer Money in - £29M
Transfer Money Out on players identified - £9.5M
Budget Remaining for positions identified - £19.5M (Starting CB, 2 x CM's, Winger/Striker & Back Up GK)

Get it done, Nils my man.
Put the drink down

We need the likes of McCausland, McKinnon, Fraser etc to become viable squad players.

There’s no reason to be spending money on Armstrong (plus significant contract) when McCausland has shown a lot more.
Be serious, Tuesday night was McCausland's first goal or assist in months.

Not a rumour just speculation but i wonder if the name Eder Balanta will come up at any point in the summer. Can play as a 6 or in the middle of defence, joined Brugge the same season as Clement did and he has played far less for them since Clement left for Monaco, including going to Schalke on loan in January last season.

Out of contract at the end of the season and a proper six with Belgian title and Champions League experience is something this squad is missing and could do with.
I spent a bit of time at the weekend, watching the highlights of Clements team in Belgium. He seemed to be the midfielder that gave his team the balance & aggression. He’s 31 but we are gonna need some players with good experience. Can’t all be 19-23 with potential.

Be serious, Tuesday night was McCausland's first goal or assist in months.

Our best spell under Clement was with McCausland-Dessers-Sima.

We struggled after his injury and he has also struggled since his return. But he’s worked hard at his game and the improvements are obvious.

People complain about no players coming through. We have one - as a squad player - and yet some want rid of to spend money on a guy from Kilmarnock as a squad player.

And again, it’s McCausland first season with the first team.

At £7m not a chance i would sign him.

At a decent price maybe, but he isnt a £7m player, and we wouldnt be making a profit on him in a couple of years if we paid that. Plus where is all this money coming from?
He's got 16 goals in 38 games from left wing. £7m in today's market is a bargain for a sure thing.

He's big, strong, quick and athletic and at 23 will only improve. How could we not make a profit?

Have we learned nothing from Tillman?

Not a rumour just speculation but i wonder if the name Eder Balanta will come up at any point in the summer. Can play as a 6 or in the middle of defence, joined Brugge the same season as Clement did and he has played far less for them since Clement left for Monaco, including going to Schalke on loan in January last season.

Out of contract at the end of the season and a proper six with Belgian title and Champions League experience is something this squad is missing and could do with.

That name is a blast from the past. Remember seeing him play for River about 10 years ago.

He was a centre back then and really highly rated. That initial promise, talk of going to Barcelona, didn't transpire and he ended up with Basel.

Forgot all about him so good to hear he's had a decent career.

£7m maybe isnt much nowadays but to us it is, especially when we need a whole team.

2 x CB, 1 x RB, 2 x CM, 2 x WINGERS, 1 x STR

8 x £7m - £56m

That was my point, not saying Armstrong is better than sima, but we need a squad and we need a capable squad. Cant spend millions on every player but l would much rather have Armstrong rather than Matondo or Wright coming on in games.

I would suggest that you, and anyone else who was discussing letting our Captain & Vice Captain, who both have 2 years + left on their contract, leave for free, should immediately hand over control of all your finances to your next of kin.

The fact that you have tried to act smug & dismiss my valuations and come out with that nonsense in the same post is hilarious.
How many big money offers have we had for either when they were at their peak? How many offers did Goldson have when his contract had expired and he was 2 years younger? Football doesn’t work that way. If we want shot of both of them (which I’ve argued is essential) we need a club to first of all want to sign them, then for that club to want to pay the high salary that both are on just now. To throw in ridiculous valuations for two defenders who can’t defend at the end of their career would just mean we have no interest and would be stuck with them! That’s an abuse of finances - to waste millions on wages for another 2 years while almost gifting the scum another 2 in a row when we could part with both of them on good terms.

And if you think thats nonsense, just remember how much the combined value of the spine of 55 has gone for. McGregor, Borna, Hellander, Jack, Roofe, Alfie, Kent, Arfield. A total of £zero.

Dowell? Injury prone before we signed him & he's barely been fit up here. Why would someone buy him for £2m. He's another one who'll see his contact out with us. A bizarre signing & giving him a 3 year deal was madness.
Keep seeing people say Dowell was injury prone. Was he though? From what I can see before coming to us from 2021 he had 3 injuries at Norwich.

Down as:

24.02.2023 - 17.07.2023 (knee)

10.07.2022 - 08.08.2022 (Some sort of pre-season issue/unavailability for a month?)

18.04.2021 - 19.04.2021 (a day?)

Before that he'd had a bad 2020 but his 3 seasons before that which were his first 3 in senior football he had none and played double figures of games on loan at various clubs while still quite young.

Sounds fairly average/normal for a footballer to me.

I know it’s not a suggestion thread, but was looking at some out of contract players, one which Nils Koppen might look at is Dani De Wit
26 years old 31 appearances with 10 goals this season. Plays central mid or attacking Midfield. Looks physical and hard worker.
The boy that does the Rangers Journal did a piece on OOC players. One of the players was De Wit. I like the look of Ibrahima Sissoko and Sekou Koita. There are good options out there.

Now this is open, might as well chuck some unsubstantiated rumours in.

My good mate i go to the games with sits in the govan front and said after the killie game that the guy behind him is the rangers estate agent type guy and apparently both butland and cantwell have activated their 3 month notice period on their flats so either they are off or moving to more permanent homes (if true. So, nothing overly helpful there.

I was also talking to Ryan Jack on Monday and he gave nothing away (why would he to be fair) but saod he was gutted how the season went (obviously). Didn’t give much away but i didn’t get the impression a decision was made either way. Apparently my son in P1 is ‘going out’ with his daughter. Ive already told him to patch her unless he leaves.

Shankland was at the school as well and his family have settled in bothwell. Decent news for those wanting to sign if he is putting roots down here.

Il share anything else i get from the 2 others in the first team set up i know, if anything.

Exciting summer and hopefully one that has a 55 style impact.

COMMUNITY NOTE-

Readers added context they though people might like to know

1) Cantwell doesn't live in a flat.

2) Tenants in Scotland only have to give 28 days notice before moving out of a rented property.

I would suggest that you, and anyone else who was discussing letting our Captain & Vice Captain, who both have 2 years + left on their contract, leave for free, should immediately hand over control of all your finances to your next of kin.

The fact that you have tried to act smug & dismiss my valuations and come out with that nonsense in the same post is hilarious.
For a selling club, a players asking price is just basic accounting. Asking price (transfer fee) = Asset less Liability.

The players asset is the value of the player to the club less any depreciation and plus any future potential. For any player over 30 that future potential is zero .

The players liability is their wages, their bonuses, their expenses over the duration of their contract. For any player on roughly £30k per week thats around £2.5m.

So for any 30 something player you have to offset the £2.5m before considering any football related matters such as impact on games, chance of injury, likelihood of bottling it etc. That’s why so many players end up going to clubs where the selling club continues to pay part of their wages - their transfer value is already in the negative.

Now Clement may think that both players are worth more than £5m total to the club and therefore the asking price would be in the positive. Conversely he may not see a future at the club for either in which case he’s looking at agreeing a pay off that costs something between £0 and £5m to Rangers. I’m not arguing the latter, I’m saying I think free transfers are the correct balance as that £5m could be better spent.

Armstrong - 83 killie apps (some in champ) 16 goals
Jones - 97 killie apps (first spell all in prem) 11 goals
Would Armstrong play for Celtic? Would he even get on their bench?
I’m in no way suggesting we sign him, however, he looks a far more dangerous player than Palma or Kuhn from what I’ve seen. They are mince.

COMMUNITY NOTE-

2) Tenants in Scotland only have to give 28 days notice before moving out of a rented property.
Ive no idea where he lives mate. Was just part of a post of things id heard with the disclaimer that ive no clue if its true. Either he meant it was his house or its a lot of shite. Ive honestly no idea.

The Jack giving nothing away and Shankland being settled in bothwell is the only thing i can say is accurate.

He has 12 months left on his contract with them so who knows how much Brighton will want for him. He's 23 in June the exact sort of profile we should be recruiting and looking to move on in a year or 2. The money will come from player sales so about using the resources right.

Do you think Danny Armstrong improves the Rangers 11 or is it a squad improvement signing? Is he a better player than Sima?
Brighton have a year’s extension option as well

COMMUNITY NOTE-

Thanks for posting that. I was going to post his podcast interview yesterday where it looks like he's on the 3rd floor/attic conversion of a house and not a flat but figured that was a little too stalker-ish...

If Danillo is back playing next few months n Dessers stays do you think we will be in the market for a new striker?

If Danillo is back playing next few months n Dessers stays do you think we will be in the market for a new striker?
We have to be. Roofe needs replaced and we can't gamble on Danilo coming back to full fitness. We've been in that movie too many times.
We need 4 minimum. Remains to be seen if Lammers is to be one of them. I doubt it though

If we don’t bring in another striker I fear for the level of thinking going on at Ibrox.

Dessers - despite people fluffing up his goal tally - is absolutely nowhere near good enough, esepcially if the manager sticks with this system.

We have no idea how Danilo is to be after a long term knee issue, and the number of open goals he missed before that still sends shudders down my spine.

A proper striker is there at the top of the list along with a proper centre half and central midfielder.

We need real quality in the spine of the team.

Thankfully it seems like we’re past daft signings like that, can’t see him being on Koppens radar :)
Mental that we’ve revamped the recruitment department, brought in Clement + Koppen and ended up signing Kenny McLean (no harm to him since I know he’s one of us).
I can see him being an Arfield like player you can't see it with until you see them every week.

Back