Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Not every player should fall into the player trading model. Benfica are the best around at it & still have Otamendi, Di Maria.

Our squad lacks experience & leadership up its spine, especially if (or when Lundstram) goes. We don't need to replace our current leaders IMO, but we do need more leaders in the squad in general.
I mean, thats the kind of post I’d expect to see across the city where they actually do focus on the player trading model slightly too much.

About 10% of the signings we make fall into the ‘player trading model’ and it should be about 60/70% this summer.

Just out of curiosity I looked to see who Antwerp signed in the time that our new scout Anthony Galinski was involved.

Obviously not going to be all his involvement but looking at the non European players a few interesting signings from South America

Willian Pacho CB signed from Ecuador for 5m sold to Frankfurt for 9m now linked with Liverpool for 40m +

Gaston Avila CB signed from Boca for 4m sold to Ajax for 12m

Anthony Valencia another Ecuadorean this time a RW bought for around 1.25m however been injured a lot of this season.

Jacob Ondrejka Swedish winger signed from Elfsborg for 1.5m

George Ilenikhena Nigerian forward 16 year old (at the time) signed from Amiens in France for 5m

That’s just a selection other transfers like loans and young guys from elsewhere in Belgium too but loans from France/Netherlands too.

I mean, thats the kind of post I’d expect to see across the city where they actually do focus on the player trading model slightly too much.

About 10% of the signings we make fall into the ‘player trading model’ and it should be about 60/70% this summer.
TBH we don't have much experience in the squad. The 'experienced' players are often injured or past it (Jack, Roofe, Lawrence, Dowell, etc) & with some of those players leaving, there is going to be a void of experience in attacking areas.

Just out of curiosity I looked to see who Antwerp signed in the time that our new scout Anthony Galinski was involved.

Obviously not going to be all his involvement but looking at the non European players a few interesting signings from South America

Willian Pacho CB signed from Ecuador for 5m sold to Frankfurt for 9m now linked with Liverpool for 40m +

Anthony Valencia another Ecuadorean this time a RW bought for around 1.25m however been injured a lot of this season.

George Ilenikhena Nigerian forward 16 year old (at the time) signed from Amiens in France for 5m

That’s just a selection other transfers like loans and young guys from elsewhere in Belgium too but loans from France/Netherlands too.

I missed this, did we appoint this guy just as a scout or in a senior role? * I see it now. Head international scout since start of April. Not sure how I missed this.

Antwerp brought Alderweireld and Vertonghen back plus a lot of promising young players from South America, Belgium and Scandinavian teams....

So, a couple of old heads, the best young talent in our own league and some south American and Scandinavian based players coming up!!!?

Last edited:

Antwerp paid 5 million for a 16 year old? Thats massive money for them surely?

Kenny McLean would be a really shrewd signing if he was on a free.

Still a decent age, played every game for Norwich this season I think so reliability isnt an issue, homegrown and a massive Rangers supporter. And on a free you could probably absorb his wage demands.

With two years left though its likely a non starter and we shouldn't be paying a fee for a 32 year old.

Worth remembering Norwich still took £1.5m off us for Cantwell who only had 6 months left on his deal so you would think there would be no way they are letting McLean go for anywhere close to that, likely double that if we wanted to sign him.

I’d be surprised if we make more than 1 signing from the UK, so I think those wanting us to cement 2nd place next season with Nesbitt, Shankland, Armstrong & co may be disappointed.
How many of these non uk based signings will fit the home grown quota?

Kenny McLean would be a decent signing. We need to sign expérience as well as good young players with sell on value. Weir and Alex Rae worked out alright. Norwich will be hard to deal with though they stung us for a million for Cantwell who had 6 months left and was in and out. This is their captain who has a year left, we cant be spending a decent chunk of the budget on him.

How many of these non uk based signings will fit the home grown quota?
Well, we’re about to hand out a contract to a player who played 20% of this seasons minutes for this reason so I’m sure we’ll be OK.

Lets hope we make the rest of the signings purely on ability.

Kenny McLean would be a decent signing. We need to sign expérience as well as good young players with sell on value. Weir and Alex Rae worked out alright. Norwich will be hard to deal with though they stung us for a million for Cantwell who had 6 months left and was in and out. This is their captain who has a year left, we cant be spending a decent chunk of the budget on him.

McLean has two years left on his contract with the option for another year, mate.

TBH we don't have much experience in the squad. The 'experienced' players are often injured or past it (Jack, Roofe, Lawrence, Dowell, etc) & with some of those players leaving, there is going to be a void of experience in attacking areas.
We have the 3rd highest average age in the league. If you want to add ‘experience’ then fine, but make sure we clear the decks of all the shite experienced players we currently have first. That may take some time.

We have the 3rd highest average age in the league. If you want to add ‘experience’ then fine, but make sure we clear the decks of all the shite experienced players we currently have first. That may take some time.
That I agree with, for me it's the spread of experience. All of our regular, experienced players play at the back.

That's interesting. The work permit rules here compared with Belgium are a lot more stringent, so that might restrict the some moves for South American talent.

And neither of those pieces of information are relevant to a transfer rumour thread.

1. I could also come on here and say Ryan Jack hasn't told me where he'll be playing next season. Everyone could.

2. You've told us that Shankland lives in Bothwell, as if that's somehow related to transfer rumours. If Lawrence Shankland lived in Outer Botswana, he would still up roots and move house if he was offered £500 a week more than what he earns right now. Where he currently lives means nothing in relation to his next career move.

Let's be honest, you also knew those bits of information weren't related to transfer rumours in any way. You just want to try and give the impression you're some sort of "high roller" because you occasionally see or speak to some footballers. That's why you desperately tried to paint these interactions as being related to transfer activity, when they're not at all.

IMO it's pretty low to have conversations with Rangers players, under the pretence of general chit-chat at the school gates, then come on here to reveal details of the conversation and identity of the player, just for likes.

You're not special because you occasionally bump into a footballer in your daily life, lots of people do. Most of them however, are mature enough not to go online and broadcast it in a desperate attempt to claim some sort of kudos.
Don't hold back, tell him what you really think.

That's interesting. The work permit rules here compared with Belgium are a lot more stringent, so that might restrict the some moves for South American talent.
That’s true I don’t know the full breakdown but it’s much easier if they’ve played in the continent equivalent of the Champions League or Europa League for any nation.

Willian Pacho, Gaston Avila and Anthony Valencia had all done that.

Be§exit brought big changes here people have argued that the UK is now more aligned with the Belgian regulations but I’ve only seen that said can anyone confirm

@ChildOfGoth Why is that funny?
554786186bb3f78f7d33ba2f

Where's that story from? Wouldn't be against that happening although I can see Leicester wanting to sell rather than loan.
Was close to happening in January I'm sure, Stoke would only pay 40% of Davies wages, whilst we had to pick up the full tab for Souttar so it was a non starter.
Moving on the dead wood will be our biggest challenge, working deals for good players and attracting them to Rangers won't be a huge concern

Think we have seen in recently years guys who grew up Rangers fans, like Taylor, signing for them and being successful (albeit don't rate him).

Ideal world I'd rather avoid signing any of them but when some of our own will happily sign for them, maybe we have to swallow our pride.
Neil McCann didn't do us any harm.

I really hope the 20 mil Butland rumour is true.

We all love Jack, he's been a superb signing and been virtually faultless all season. But a great GK alone doesn't win you the league, as we've seen this year. And for the scale of the squad refresh that we need, it's vital we have some serious funds to play with in the market. So for the greater good, we have to reluctantly grab the money if its on offer.

That fee alone could cover permanent deals for Dio, Sima, Cortes (although maybe another year loan is the sensible play there) and the new CB Cordoba whos rumoured to be close.

Add in another 5-10 from selling the likes of Lammers, Matondo, Davies, Hagi etc (maybe even more if Stevie G does us a favour with Goldson and Tav) plus hopefully the board can stump up about the same and it looks entirely possible that we could bring in another half dozen or so players at the 3-4 mil mark if we want to. Hopefully use the out of contract and loan market wisely as well.

Reckon 10 -12 new signings is about the number we should be aiming for.

Something like this then for next season:

New GK
New rb New cb New cb Yilmaz
Sterling Dio New AM
Sima new ST Cortes

Bench/squad: Dessers, Danilo, Souttar, Raskin, Cantwell, McCausland, new CM, new RB, new LW, new RW.

Not against seeing the likes of Fraser and McKinnon getting used more often as well.

Hopefully Koppen doesn't have any summer holidays planned...
He’s been working on this since January apparently so a holiday may be well deserved.

Was close to happening in January I'm sure, Stoke would only pay 40% of Davies wages, whilst we had to pick up the full tab for Souttar so it was a non starter.
Moving on the dead wood will be our biggest challenge, working deals for good players and attracting them to Rangers won't be a huge concern
Sure it was last January under Beale, wasn't it?

Back