Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Usually sits as a 6, yeah, but how often do we sit in like that, we need to look at players who can contribute going forward IMO.

We've always played with a 6 under this manager.

You still need a midfield who can hold his position and help the back four. Cant have three midfielders charging about trying to score.

The best number 6 in the country has 2 goals and six assists to his name this season.

2 goals and 4 assists in League 1 in 43 games, should we be looking at him when we are screaming for a midfielder who can contribute goals to the team?
He’s a number 6, his job wouldn’t be to score or assist goals.

We must be one of the slowest teams in the league, signing athletic players all over the pitch should be one of our priorities. Add in the fact he’s home grown and would cost around £1m I think than it should be a no brainer IMO.

Is he good enough on the ball to be a number 6 for rangers? Not seen him at Lincoln but the player that was st Mirren wasn’t

We need a 6 that can pass between the lines and find the attacking players in good positions.

We also play with a 2 so he doesn’t need to be a defensive minded. Another dio would be perfect

Last edited:
He’s a number 6, his job wouldn’t be to score or assist goals.

We must be one of the slowest teams in the league, signing athletic players all over the pitch should be one of our priorities. Add in the fact he’s home grown and would cost around £1m I think than it should be a no brainer IMO.
Who plays as the 6 now? Never seen anyone moaning about midfielders not contributing to our play?

I would prefer to get midfielders who are able to move the ball forward and set up goals, the way we play we could do with another Dio type in the middle, not Lundstram, especially if they don't have an eye for a creative pass.

We've always played with a 6 under this manager.

You still need a midfield who can hold his position and help the back four. Cant have three midfielders charging about trying to score.

The best number 6 in the country has 2 goals and six assists to his name this season.
Do you think we need a 6, given the fact we always use one and it doesn't seem to help the defence or win the middle of the park?

Another creative midfielder would be more beneficial.

McCausland, McKinnon, Yfeko, Devine and Lowry are all 21 so I think they would count towards needing to be included in the 25 man A squad(could be wrong on that)

King is still 20 so should be B Squad. Don't know Rice and Lovelace have been here long enough to be allowed to play in Europe. Sure they weren't eligible this season.
They’re all still B list eligible for next season.

Been some very good defensive midfielders that don’t score a lot of goals depends who’s playing beside them.

A 6 who doesn’t think he’s a third CB would be an improvement.
I agree, but that would mean they need to be creative and good at moving the ball forward, does this lad Erhahon have that for us?

I think it's a no brained if he could be that player, especially for £1m.

Been some very good defensive midfielders that don’t score a lot of goals depends who’s playing beside them.

A 6 who doesn’t think he’s a third CB would be an improvement.
Do you think Lundstram does it too much?

It's just that he's doing that via instruction from the coach depending on situation?

Erhahon would be a smart signing, he's left footed as well which would give us a nice balance.

If we're going with 4-2-3-1 I think we really need 2 athletes as the deeper 2 that can cover ground, the balance has not been right in there since we've started Diomande we're too open even against average sides.

Erhahon and Sterling would dominate that area, you can then advance your full backs and it's the front 4's job to win you games.

Is he good enough on the ball to be a number 6 for rangers? Not seen him at Lincoln but the player that was st Mirren wasn’t

We need a 6 that can pass between the lines and find the attacking players in good positions.

We also play with a 2 so he doesn’t need to be a defensive minded. Another dio would be perfect

That's his stats for the season not sure how Lincoln play but if you compare it to someone like Lundstram in same position then he's below him but they do play 6 more games.

I wanted us to take a punt on Erhahon when he was leaving St Mirren a couple of seasons ago, even if it meant loaning him out.

His manager recently called him the best number 6 in

Erhahon is an interesting one. He’s a Rangers fan -and there is a BBC article earlier this month saying Lincoln expect him to fetch their record transfer fee (admittedly can’t be that big a fee), Lincoln player of the year, captain and easily the best defensive mid in league 1. Only 22.

Big unit of a boy who has excelled since leaving St Mirren.
Suggested Erhahon earlier in the thread. Lincoln’s record fee received is still less than £0.5m so something like £1-£1.5m would probably secure him with a sell on as well I reckon

That's his stats for the season not sure how Lincoln play but if you compare it to someone like Lundstram in same position then he's below him but they do play 6 more games.

The touches show the massive difference in playing midfield for rangers and for diddy teams.

Having grown up in Lincoln I watch them regularly. He’s come on leaps and bounds over this last season. Be amazed if someone doesn’t buy him. We should be all over this

I agree, but that would mean they need to be creative and good at moving the ball forward, does this lad Erhahon have that for us?

I think it's a no brained if he could be that player, especially for £1m.
From what I remember of him he had good attributes, 1 million for a nation trained player that seems to be doing well in England isn’t the worst shout,

All players are going to be a risk.

Do you think we need a 6, given the fact we always use one and it doesn't seem to help the defence or win the middle of the park?

Another creative midfielder would be more beneficial.

Yes of course we do. It's the most pivotal role in the team to beat a press and change the direction of play quickly.

Do you think Lundstram does it too much?

It's just that he's doing that via instruction from the coach depending on situation?
Lundstram has done that under every manager. It's where he goes to hide. Done it noticeably less when Clement first came in and unsurprisingly that's when he was at his best for us. Reverted to type in recent months.

Can't say I've seen anything of Erhahon since he moved down south but we do need home grown talent. Watson would be the pick of the bunch for me at the moment but fear he wouldn't be cost effective. Regardless of homegrown or not, I do feel an athletic, physical 6 who can pass the ball forward is a must for us. A younger Sangare at PSV(now Notts Forest) but not £30m would be perfect.

Erhahon would be a smart signing, he's left footed as well which would give us a nice balance.

If we're going with 4-2-3-1 I think we really need 2 athletes as the deeper 2 that can cover ground, the balance has not been right in there since we've started Diomande we're too open even against average sides.

Erhahon and Sterling would dominate that area, you can then advance your full backs and it's the front 4's job to win you games.
Diomande will 100% fill one of those deeper positions next season(and rightly so IMO).

It’s been noticeable that when Raskin has played there he’s not and i think the ball had moved quicker.

The Dm should never be further back than the CBs to me it’s a bad habit he developed after playing CB for a few games.
There’s an obsession with Lundstram needing touches. He will go and get it off one centre back and pass it to another defender when none of the players involved are under any pressure. Could easily just go from Souttar to Tav directly for example

The thing to remember is we'll be signing players to win the Scottish league and domestic honours first and foremost so if the greatest value comes from signing 90% foreign nationals I'm fine with that.

European progress has been well beyond expectations and the sole pride of Scotland but we should not be paying extra tax just for Scottish players simply to fill out a European squad which will equate to less than 20% of our annual fixtures. If the Scottish options give us good value to win the league, brilliant, win win but if we only sign foreigners, they fit the culture, attitude and ability needed and it helps us domestically, I'm all in.

I wanted us to take a punt on Erhahon when he was leaving St Mirren a couple of seasons ago, even if it meant loaning him out.

His manager recently called him the best number 6 in League 1 by a distance. Let's not miss out on another boyhood Rangers fan who is destined for bigger things.
Have we been linked with the guy?

There’s an obsession with Lundstram needing touches. He will go and get it off one centre back and pass it to another defender when none of the players involved are under any pressure. Could easily just go from Souttar to Tav directly for example
Souttar is arguably better on the ball than he is there is absolutely no need for him to be away back there.

Usually sits as a 6, yeah, but how often do we sit in like that, we need to look at players who can contribute going forward IMO.
This is a guy I liked the look of he is now at Stoke City so would be tricky to get but his ceiling looks way higher than Championship or spl for that matter .

European football could be an attraction and would be a perfect replacement for Cantwell should that story conclude this summer.

It’s been noticeable that when Raskin has played there he’s not and i think the ball had moved quicker.

The Dm should never be further back than the CBs to me it’s a bad habit he developed after playing CB for a few games.
Depends on the situation. It will be Clement approved as he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't following instruction, even with the injury situation this season.

I understand what you're saying but the lack of a proper defensive midfielder since Kamara left, Jack stopped playing and Davis retired has been so noticeable.

A defensive midfielder is arguably one of the most important positions for teams trying to attack often. They knit the play together and prevent the team from getting overran on the transition.

Look at Rodri, Busquets in the past, Alonso.

Obviously we aren't going to sign anyone of that calibre sadly but a good defensive midfielder is worth their weight in gold.

They would have stopped the 2 goals at Parkhead for example imo.

That's a good point. One of the few issues Beale properly diagnosed, albeit went about treating in the wrong way.

Mate we are rangers, two defensive midfielders at home should never happen domestically

I don’t think he can do that so if that’s neccessary he isn’t the player . Might have a more defensive make-up if we would like that player type on a budget is my guess .

It's what amateur league players who canny chase back do. He is solid on the press but when we are chasing its like he's 40, not 30.

I understand what you're saying but the lack of a proper defensive midfielder since Kamara left, Jack stopped playing and Davis retired has been so noticeable.

A defensive midfielder is arguably one of the most important positions for teams trying to attack often. They knit the play together and prevent the team from getting overran on the transition.

Look at Rodri, Busquets in the past, Alonso.

Obviously we aren't going to sign anyone of that calibre sadly but a good defensive midfielder is worth their weight in gold.

They would have stopped the 2 goals at Parkhead for example imo.

Rodri is the perfect example of the modern midfielder.

He stops attacks, breaks play, covers ground but he also has 9 goals and 7 assists in 33 premier league games this season.

Obviously we are not gonna get anyone near as good and I think he’s been the best player in England this year alongside Odegaard but the idea that we have a pure defensive player in there is wrong.

On the chat about Erhahon, I think League 1 & League 2 are leagues we should be looking at.

Not necessarily as ready to play signings but ones we can develop.

As others have said Aribo and O'Riley have came from that league.

Windass we done superb on financially. Crooks we would have bar that injury curse again. But he's carved out a good career.

Plenty young hungry players on the up.

Turnbull

Decent supply of goals from midfield for them, voted their POTY and YPOTY whilst he was there, won medals and sold for £2m with six months left on his deal.
Lennon Miller would be the equivalent of that right now, if we have the funds. All for that. buying a young player with potential who has strong attributes and we can develop & sell on.

Guys like Danny Armstrong are 26yo, zero resale value and painfully average.

Rodri is the perfect example of the modern midfielder.

He stops attacks, breaks play, covers ground but he also has 9 goals and 7 assists in 33 premier league games this season.

Obviously we are not gonna get anyone near as good and I think he’s been the best player in England this year alongside Odegaard but the idea that we have a pure defensive player in there is wrong.
Number 6 is the most important signing we'll make this season.

These players make everything tick, the difference Rodri/Rice/Tchouameni etc make to their team is huge.

It is no surprise to me whatsoever that since we stopped playing players who are good on the ball (Davis/Jack) in that position and replaced them with a guy who has the first touch of a bricklayer then we have regressed heavily.

Lundstram has done that under every manager. It's where he goes to hide. Done it noticeably less when Clement first came in and unsurprisingly that's when he was at his best for us. Reverted to type in recent months.

Can't say I've seen anything of Erhahon since he moved down south but we do need home grown talent. Watson would be the pick of the bunch for me at the moment but fear he wouldn't be cost effective. Regardless of homegrown or not, I do feel an athletic, physical 6 who can pass the ball forward is a must for us. A younger Sangare at PSV(now Notts Forest) but not £30m would be perfect.
Sangare being at Notts Forest is a travesty. Absolute waste of a player being there. Would’ve loved to see him with us, he was the difference maker in the games against PSV imo.

Yes of course we do. It's the most pivotal role in the team to beat a press and change the direction of play quickly.

This - people obsess about buying attacking or creative mid. The creative mid is the defensive mid, he is both the man who deals with ‘low blocks’ and a ‘high press’. As you say, arguably the most important player in our team.

Suggested Erhahon earlier in the thread. Lincoln’s record fee received is still less than £0.5m so something like £1-£1.5m would probably secure him with a sell on as well I reckon
Why would we give a diddy side a sell on?
If we buy a player from that level we buy him, he suddenly becomes at the one of the UK's biggest clubs and playing International football. Fail to see why Lincoln should benefit from that exposure and any future fee

Mate we are rangers, two defensive midfielders at home should never happen domestically
Walter's sides always used to be three players that are "defence first" (one as a full back) one full-back that went forwards, a defensive midfielder (for the reset ball, distribution, dropping into where the roaming full-back left and mopping up the opposition's "lump it over the top to a runner" counter attack), Box-to-box Engine midfielder, Creative midfielder who needs to get goals, a central striker whose only role is to get goals, a forward with a free role and a winger who can cut in and can also get to the by-line to deliver a cross

Back