Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Walter's sides always used to be three players that are "defence first" (one as a full back) one full-back that went forwards, a defensive midfielder (for the reset ball, distribution, dropping into where the roaming full-back left and mopping up the opposition's "lump it over the top to a runner" counter attack), Box-to-box Engine midfielder, Creative midfielder who needs to get goals, a central striker whose only role is to get goals, a forward with a free role and a winger who can cut in and can also get to the by-line to deliver a cross

The game has changed mate, more athletes less technical players.

It’s all about rotations, patterns of play and pressing now.

We aren’t good at any aspect at the moment

Depends on the situation. It will be Clement approved as he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't following instruction, even with the injury situation this season.
Well no one else plays like that and he did it before Clement was even here, makes the gap in the middle of the park far too big.

The game has changed mate, more athletes less technical players.

It’s all about rotations, patterns of play and pressing now.

We aren’t good at any aspect at the moment

There's a train of thought amongst some top level coaches that shape is tactical shape is becoming irrelevant and it's more about how players manipulate their opponent to get space. Spaletti being one.

Great - more links with average lightweight foreign players - watch us go spend another £10-15m on foreign players who come here and have no idea what they are stepping into, all on 4 year deals and give us one good performance every 4 games.

We need a strong spine in the team and one that’s filled with a core of Scottish talent.

Shankland for me is a no brainer - would walk to Ibrox, score goals for fun with the chances we create in this league.

Erahon, Barron, Cameron should be others brought in. Would also look at loaning Ramsay from Liverpool.
Shame that people are laughing at this. The funny thing is I can remember reacting the same way to posts last year. Our transfer strategy of trying to find a skillful player in foreign leagues while paying no respect to fitness and physique has been appalling.

Shame that people are laughing at this. The funny thing is I can remember reacting the same way to posts last year. Our transfer strategy of trying to find a skillful player in foreign leagues while paying no respect to fitness and physique has been appalling.
None of our business was even slightly similar to Mofokengs profile. He is a cheap punt, a project signing.

Last year our business was the opposite, we spent all our money on 'experience', +25yo's who had failed at club X and looking to revive their career.

This is a guy I liked the look of he is now at Stoke City so would be tricky to get but his ceiling looks way higher than Championship or spl for that matter .

European football could be an attraction and would be a perfect replacement for Cantwell should that story conclude this summer.

Looks like a decent player from that.

I understand what you're saying but the lack of a proper defensive midfielder since Kamara left, Jack stopped playing and Davis retired has been so noticeable.

A defensive midfielder is arguably one of the most important positions for teams trying to attack often. They knit the play together and prevent the team from getting overran on the transition.

Look at Rodri, Busquets in the past, Alonso.

Obviously we aren't going to sign anyone of that calibre sadly but a good defensive midfielder is worth their weight in gold.

They would have stopped the 2 goals at Parkhead for example imo.
I agree it is important to have a 6, but the people we have in that role aren't capable and like you say, we aren't incredibly likely to bring anyone of the calibre we need to command a game like the players you have mentioned.

Big summer window for Clement and team.

We absolutely should be making 1/2 low cost projects signings every summer. Its exactly what Bassey, Frimpong etc were.

There is no one set type of signing we should be making, we should be looking to replace as much of the squad as possible and within that there is different roles.
Exactly.

Yes we need first 11 players but we should always be looking for potential bargains that we can sell on for profit as well, there’s no 1 size fits all solution, same with age, we need a blend of youth and experience

I agree it is important to have a 6, but the people we have in that role aren't capable and like you say, we aren't incredibly likely to bring anyone of the calibre we need to command a game like the players you have mentioned.

Big summer window for Clement and team.
I think if Lundstram goes, as widely mooted and Jack leaves we will need to bring in a number 6 for sure. Dowell a possible exit as well.

Neglecting the midfield would be a huge mistake.

I think if Lundstram goes, as widely mooted and Jack leaves we will need to bring in a number 6 for sure. Dowell a possible exit as well.

Neglecting the midfield would be a huge mistake.
We never have neglected the midfield, just poor recruiting in recent windows, or players who fit the model but don't have the legs anymore.

We never have neglected the midfield, just poor recruiting in recent windows, or players who fit the model but don't have the legs anymore.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but i disagree. We persevered with Kamara, Jack, Davis and Arfield for so long. Brought in Zungu on loan who wasn't up to it. Didn't play Aribo in the middle too often, and even he was a low fee.

I do agree the recruitment has been poor, albeit with Lawrence he looked excellent prior to the injury curse striking again.

PC has had to adapt to the players he inherited. He might have a new formation in mind so speculation about what players he will bring in, is just that- speculation. Im all for rumours but rumours about players replacing current players within the formation we currently play is nebulous.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but i disagree. We persevered with Kamara, Jack, Davis and Arfield for so long. Brought in Zungu on loan who wasn't up to it. Didn't play Aribo in the middle too often, and even he was a low fee.

I do agree the recruitment has been poor, albeit with Lawrence he looked excellent prior to the injury curse striking again.
We have signed loads in the middle, that's why I say it has been poor recruiting. We have definitely tried to persist with certain players, even after it became obvious we would get no more than a short run of games a season from them.

Definitely need to sign young, talented players with a desire to perform and win.

Why would we give a diddy side a sell on?
If we buy a player from that level we buy him, he suddenly becomes at the one of the UK's biggest clubs and playing International football. Fail to see why Lincoln should benefit from that exposure and any future fee

Does that work for us if a team from a top 5 league buy one of our players ?

No sell on because they consider us a diddy club ?

Supposedly he was on 8k a week when they pumped us. We had lundstrum up against him on 36k a week. Jesus wept.
Our wage bill is ashambles, assuming Roofe and Jack are both in good money too and contributing nothing, looking forward to high earners leaving.

Another window, another mention of Liam Kelly.

Hope not. He’s nowhere near the level required. Laughed at when linked with Celtic the other week.

A keeper prone to mistakes and errors, suspect at cross balls, poor handling and distribution.

Just had a howler of a mix up between him and a center half for St. Johnstone's second goal today.

Also made a cracking save earlier on though to be fair to him.

Another window, another mention of Liam Kelly.

Hope not. He’s nowhere near the level required. Laughed at when linked with Celtic the other week.

A keeper prone to mistakes and errors, suspect at cross balls, poor handling and distribution.
Would be purely to help with the euro quota.

No danger he’s starting any games for us unless there’s an emergency

Why would we give a diddy side a sell on?
If we buy a player from that level we buy him, he suddenly becomes at the one of the UK's biggest clubs and playing International football. Fail to see why Lincoln should benefit from that exposure and any future fee
Don’t think you know how modern transfers work

They only signed him for 6 million in January. We won't be anywhere near that unfortunately
Would normally agree but never underestimate what a relegation can do when it comes to what a team would accept for them.

The exception to this is England when you see relegated teams still wanting £20m for folk but don’t see that happening in Italy.

Kelly taking McLaughlin’s place in the squad is a no-brainer for me.

Mclaughlin has spent all season pretty much in the stand so unless McCrorie goes then would be no point. He isn't particularly any good either and I doubt he'll give up his place in the Scotland squad.

I have heard the same to us was the word
Not sure anyone knows outside of the player, my family knows his family and last time they spoke they said he hadn’t told anyone but the conversation was more based around him going to them. He might well have offers from both. If he does I’d suspect he would pick them but allegiances don’t always matter as much these days with players I suppose especially since he was with us before.

Back