Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

it's less than half that amount, plus he'd get more chances at rangers
He's had a 4 month purple patch this season but outside that, and since then his goalscoring is very poor outwith penalties.

Last season he only scored 14 from open play.

Season before 5 from open play.

Season before that again he scored 8 from open play.

Those numbers are worse than you'd have got from a Lewis Moult or similar level striker before this. But Moult wasn't a penalty merchant. Should we have signed him?

Lewis Moult, played 91, scored 39, 14 assists.
Lawrence Shankland, played 101, scored 42, 12 assists.

Shankland has scored only 3 more from open play than Dessers this season despite playing over 1000 minutes more football. Dessers has 6 more assists than him too.

That's nowhere near Rangers striker levels. Dessers is a better player and isn't the answer either, but atleast be works hard, can run and gets assists, closes players down, can play up top on his own and does press.

Fair enough if Shankland was on a free as a backup, is take him. But he also struggles to run and with fitness, would being a sub be any good?

Last edited:
Shankland is a no brainer for under 2 mill as a steady knows the league reliable striker imo.

All depends on who goes I suppose.

I’d shift dessers happily and replace with LS.

I’d be surprised if Celtic aren’t after him as a squad player too,

In all we may shift out 15 or more people and get 12 in.
Big summer

Shankland is a no brainer for under 2 mill as a steady knows the league reliable striker imo.

All depends on who goes I suppose.

I’d shift dessers happily and replace with LS.

I’d be surprised if Celtic aren’t after him as a squad player too,

In all we may shift out 15 or more people and get 12 in.
Big summer

I’d try a cut price move for LS based on his contract situation.

Keep Dessers and Danilo and then buy Miovski.

Those 4 would do ok

They didnt in january. I was a bit surprised no one at that level seemed to be sniffing around at that point tbh.
Simply as he’s not worth it.

He’s done a lot better at Hearts as they have set up to play to his strengths we won’t be changing our set up to suit Shankland.

Don’t get me wrong maybe with s good preseason y out could put a big more running in to his legs but currently for stamina and energy he’s miles behind Desssers.

He’s done a lot better at Hearts as they have set up to play to his strengths we won’t be changing our set up to suit Shankland.

Don’t get me wrong maybe with s good preseason y out could put a big more running in to his legs but currently for stamina and energy he’s miles behind Desssers.
A lot of very physical strikers in championship too.
FWIW i think hed be worth having in the squad but it all depends how we set up. If we were gonna have a different tactical approach and sometimes play with 2 up top domestically, signing a proven goalscorer and bluenose who would im sure be here for the duration and potentially be a very useful squad player for 4 or 5 years would make sense. But if we are only going with one number 9, clement might want someone with different attributes. I cant see danilo and dessers not being around next season and we have a huge rebuild required.

Don’t get me wrong maybe with s good preseason y out could put a big more running in to his legs but currently for stamina and energy he’s miles behind Dessers.
Shankand isn't miles behind Dessers in anything

If we are to sign a Scottish base striker it should be Miovski.

Younger
Scores in a poorer side
Higher ceiling
Sell on potential

Shankland wouldnt be my choice.
I’m not against him, I’m just not sure we have any interest in him, there’s been no real whispers, credible rumours, nothing.

You can compare shots on target to goals between the two, and still Dessers is way out in front. There's some misconception that Shankland is this incredible finisher but he misses far more than he puts away.
I’m not convinced that Shankland is the answer to our striking problem

Watched him in a more than a few games where he failed to impress and on occasion was anonymous and wasteful of chances- yes he could score goals for us but then again so can Dessers - 2 similar players who miss more than they put away

Few folk on Twitter claiming the Dutch media touting €8m for Lammers. Must be nonsense, anyone seen reports from it I can’t find a thing.
Don't see anything just reports that Utrecht would like to sign him.

Wages appear to be the only issue if he doesn't end up there I think there's a strong chance another Dutch team will get him.

If we are to sign a Scottish base striker it should be Miovski.

Younger
Scores in a poorer side
Higher ceiling
Sell on potential

Shankland wouldnt be my choice.

I rate Miovski quite highly, but I'm not sure we'd have the sort of money Aberdeen would be looking for without having to sacrifice signings in other areas.

I think Utrecht will go out for him, especially if they make Europe and take in big money for someone like Booth. They've spent more than that on a striker in the past.

Wages possibly an issue.

Edit, already talk PSV will be in for Ryan Flamingo with that money going towards Lammers

Ryan Flamingo is a brilliant name, pink hair & gets chopped down easily as he only looks like he has one leg.

Last edited:
A lot of very physical strikers in championship too.
FWIW i think hed be worth having in the squad but it all depends how we set up. If we were gonna have a different tactical approach and sometimes play with 2 up top domestically, signing a proven goalscorer and bluenose who would im sure be here for the duration and potentially be a very useful squad player for 4 or 5 years would make sense. But if we are only going with one number 9, clement might want someone with different attributes. I cant see danilo and dessers not being around next season and we have a huge rebuild required.
I don’t think Danilo or Dessers will go anywhere and I think our striker signing will be very mobile with some physical presence.

If the other 2 go and he’s cheap enough I would take Shankland but at no more than 1.5 million.

I don’t think Danilo or Dessers will go anywhere and I think our striker signing will be very mobile with some physical presence.

If the other 2 go and he’s cheap enough I would take Shankland but at no more than 1.5 million.
Something I mentioned the other day about Shankland. If we were to sign him, I'd be a bit concerned about his fitness if he wasn't playing regularly and getting decent minutes. He looks as though he needs to be playing every week to stay at the top of his game.

Something I mentioned the other day about Shankland. If we were to sign him, I'd be a bit concerned about his fitness if he wasn't playing regularly and getting decent minutes. He looks as though he needs to be playing every week to stay at the top of his game.
i would agree he’s certainly seems to yo-yo a bit weight wise he also wouldn’t get away with being missing in action on the park for long periods as he has been in several games I’ve watched him in.

A common misconception about Shankland is that he doesn’t put a shift in.

Saw a stat that he was ranked 10th in average distance covered per game among strikers outwith top 5 leagues in Europe.
I’ve watched him plenty of times he’s not got the core fitness he’s normally blowing out his arse by about 30 minutes.

Shankland would be an automatic upgrade on Dessers for the role that he has been deployed in. I don't see how it's even up for debate.

Disagree.

Led the line excellently at PH earlier in the year. Better than any of our strikers have in recent years since Morelos back in the Katic game.

Its a myth that Shankland's all round game isnt good. It has improved massively this season too
I am not turning this in to another LS thread but I’ve watched him on numerous occasions against us and other teams i wouldn’t swap him for Dessers as he doesn’t suit our system.

Notice John Souttar sharing clips of Ryan Gauld.I know they are friends but for the sake of a good rumour let's say Gauld is either coming here or Souttar is going to Vancouver

Shankland has unreal numbers for a guy playing at Hearts, doesn't mean he'd work at Rangers at the same level and I genuinely still think Hearts could be looking for the same fee as they were in January. His goals will be worth more to Hearts next season than the £1.5-2 million that people assume we'd get him for.

I’ve watched him plenty of times he’s not got the core fitness he’s normally blowing out his arse by about 30 minutes.
I mean the guy has given you stats that say you are wrong so even if your eye test thinks that, your wrong.

I prefer my striker to score goals and not miss easy chance after chance. Seen on Twitter earlier, shankland has only missed 9 big chances all season, dessers has missed 27…

Back