The text that brought Steven Gerrard to Rangers

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
RANGERS TV host Tom Miller has revealed Mark Allen’s first text message to Steven Gerrard about becoming Ibrox boss.
Gers stunned the football world by appointing the Liverpool icon as gaffer last summer.

He’s had mixed fortunes in his debut season, taking the Light Blues to the group stage of the Europa League but emerging trophy less on the domestic front.

Director of football Allen, who joined Gers from Man City in 2017, has worked closely with Gerrard during the campaign.

Miller told Rock Sport: “He’s the man who made the approach for Steven Gerrard.

“Steven Gerrard was on the training ground with the Liverpool youngsters and he got a text – ‘Can we chat about the opportunity for you to manage Rangers?’
“Steven Gerrard says he immediately knew it was the right thing for him.

“There were a number of nibbles from clubs about potential jobs but when this one was there, he knew the state of the club, he knew it was a big job and he knew it wouldn’t be a quick fix.

“But he knew in Mark Allen he had someone he could work with.”

Miller also warned Rangers fans over the long-term future of their manager.
He said: “We’d be kidding ourselves if we thought Steven Gerrard was going to be here for the rest of his career.
He wants to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.”

SSN just mentioned that Firmino and Salah became Liverpool’s second all time tops scorer with 15 goal tonight. Leading the way is Gerrard with 30:)

Reactions: TQ3
Was the text sponsored by whatever sun kissed boozer Tom gets free booze in for mentioning :D

Sssh you. The bold Tom's got a Jackanory tale to tell...
Whether Tom says what he says the story appears.to have varied from the initial version if we spoke to Gerrard around the time of youth game. Back to Tom, he gets too hard a time at times; I've always found him a nice guy with a genuine passion for the club, going back decades; we could do far worse.

I always thought it was 1st put to Stevie when Dave King was down at Anfield for Champions League match

The notion that it was a random text message out of the blue is as ridiculous as his commentaries mate.

Couldn’t agree more with you here. I don’t know what he gains by embellishing the truth, so equally don’t understand why he does it.

Maybe fair enough in front of pals, but why on a national broadcaster? Needs a quiet word from the club.

I doubt Liverpool will be in any hurry to replace Klopp. I also don't think he'll want to leave anytime soon. I'd expect a new deal for him at the end of the season.
Our manager is a million miles away from that job.

It wasn’t a phone call either.

It was done face to face, and after permission was sought.

Was it not King who spoke to Dalgleish about how ready Gerrard was for it, then an approach was made to Liverpool officially?

SSN just mentioned that Firmino and Salah became Liverpool’s second all time tops scorer with 15 goal tonight. Leading the way is Gerrard with 30:)

I would imagine Dalglish, rush, Fowler, owen, Keegan, Suarez, Toriresand even SG himself are a bit miffed at that

Whether Tom says what he says the story appears.to have varied from the initial version if we spoke to Gerrard around the time of youth game. Back to Tom, he gets too hard a time at times; I've always found him a nice guy with a genuine passion for the club, going back decades; we could do far worse.
We do like to stick the boot into our own

Let's be honest the only English club he'd leave for would be for Liverpool and the way Klopp is going you can't see that being any time soon. So I'm certain he'll at least see out his contract.

I didn't use to mind Tom, but recently he's been getting right on my tits. His commentary has been God awful.

Can't see Gerrard leaving us on bad terms. Would love him to get us back to the top then go onto do an amazing job at Liverpool.

It was due to my posts on here that we even considered going for Gerrard, that's what I'm claiming anyway.

Back