The thing that will win us the league

The only slight, and this is a very slight concern, is being able to keep up the intensity the full season.

Our most consistent performers, Tav, Goldson and Kent, thankfully don't go on International duty so that will help a lot and the squad rotation is working a treat so here's hoping it isn't a factor.

It’s our squad depth as a whole that will make the difference for us this year I reckon. Looking back its mental we went into a season last year as our main striking options as Alfie, Defoe and Gregg Stewart. This year we are so much better equipped for period of injuries or periods of players going off the boil a bit

We previously lacked consistency.

The whole squad now look like they are in the full flow this season, albeit we have these shitey international games which breaks the momentum of our winning streak.

Even if we pull out the odd 1-0, i'll settle for that.

3 points is 3 points regardless.

I'm confident this is our year for the league.

I'm sure the last couple of seasons the likes of McInnes would tell his players..double up on Tav..close down Alfredo & we would struggle.
Bet he watched the game yesterday and will be wondering how/who best to stop.
He'll need permission to field 14 players. :)

Not relying on Morelos has helped big time.
The sending offs put pressure on the team and broke up play etc.
Hate to say it but Ive kind of forgotten about him.
Another is losing the players who just werent good enough and replacing with better.
Nobody is now bothered about docherty,mcrorie, rossiter , murphy, halliday etc.
A cull was needed.

It’s our squad depth as a whole that will make the difference for us this year I reckon. Looking back its mental we went into a season last year as our main striking options as Alfie, Defoe and Gregg Stewart. This year we are so much better equipped for period of injuries or periods of players going off the boil a bit
A whole raft of players go into the break feeling good about themselves and bursting to play in particular our game changers.
Tav, Alfredo, Kent, Borna, Goldson, Aribo and more.

Agree and I think is consistent with the point of the OP.

We have the ability. We, for the first time, have the depth in squad. If we maintain high level of effort shown yesterday we have every chance of taking the title.
Thats the best bench i have seen in a decade.
Stewart will not get near the team.
Hopefully Katic comes back and we can pump edumson.

Our squad was too small and lacked quality last season as other posters have quite rightly pointed out. We were also geared to playing one way last season that was get the ball into Alfredos feet and go from there. We had no number 10 we now have hagi and roofe that can play there. We now have Balogun and Helander partnering Goldson instead of katic or edmundson. We have Bassey instead of Haliday we have different options up front all our strikers are different. We can rotate midfielders and players are improving like Aribo and Kamara ect. All this will bring more consistency and cohesion on the park.

Invariably the team with the best defence wins the league, and ours is solid as a rock at the moment. Agree that the Killie win was crucial, exactly the type of game we’d drop points in previous seasons. Long may it continue!

We are going well, getting goals from everywhere and only conceded 3 in the league after 14 games. Ridiculous!

However, after all that, we are still potentially only 3 points clear (yes yes it's 9 but they should win the games in hand and we can't bank on them dropping points)
I think there's some people (social media mainly) getting too carried away. Yes enjoy it, but be wary. still 2/3 of the season to go!

The only slight, and this is a very slight concern, is being able to keep up the intensity the full season.

I think this season we have enough strength in depth to rest players and keep the same quality and intensity. The only thing I'd change in January (assuming nobody leaves) is bring in an extra wide player to add more quality to that area of the pitch.

We won 8-0 yesterday while resting McGregor, Helander, Davis, Kamara and Morelos who are all usually first picks. That's what will win us the league.

We have been here before and were saying similar last season at various points. I’m not getting into this season, although for some reason this has a good feeling about it. You can almost sense the players aren’t going to lie down at any stage

We just need to keep our foot on the gas and hope that we maintain consistency. No doubt when we do have a wee dip this place will go into meltdown but it will be hard when we're in the next round of the Europa League and Celtic aren't.

As bad as Celtic have been, they'll still only be 3 points behind us if they win their games in hand so we need to make sure we don't drop any silly points that gives them a boost.

The hunger and desire shown yesterday has to be there for 90+ minutes every game.

Too many times last season we seen the team be passive until the last 20 mins when chasing the game. The difference this time is that we can rotate the players with no drop in quality. The 5 subs is certainly a help too.

It was evident on the park in seasons gone by when we missed one or two key players. This time, we have went on an unbelievable run, went undefeated, and managed to carry some injuries to key players.

This will be good for Morelos, he will know that he needs to work hard when on the pitch to get a move.
Might bring him down to earth now.
Any silly sending offs and his game time will reduce dramatically .

Much stronger squad now.
Not replying on 1 or 2 player's for goals (now spread throughout the team).
Team morale and confidence is higher than ever before (playing as a unit),and playing with a smile on our face, togetherness.
Ibrox is starting to become a"fortress"again!
Long may it continue.

I agree.

The squad. We are so strong in every single department. At least 2 players for every position.

One drops out, another slots in doing exactly the same job.

We previously lacked consistency.

The whole squad now look like they are in the full flow this season, albeit we have these shitey international games which breaks the momentum of our winning streak.

Even if we pull out the odd 1-0, i'll settle for that.

3 points is 3 points regardless.

I'm confident this is our year for the league.

We lacked consistency to a large degree due to a lack of squad depth mate.

We played guys who were injured, tired, off form last season out of necessity, as the quality gulf was too large between the first eleven & the others.

This season it’s seamless.

We didn’t even need Morelos, Davis, McGregor or Kamara yesterday.

And our coaching team have not only improved so many of our younger players, but they’ve shown much more adaptability to our playing system, so they’ve improved too.

A big thing that will win us the league that was missing last year, is goals scored out with the striker.

Last year Morelos and Defoe made up the bulk of our goals, and we were amazing for the first 6 months of the season. When Alfie’s goals dried up, we were buggered because no one else was contributing.

ThIs season, Morelos and Defoe have barely scored, but goals from Kent, Aribo, Arfield, Roofe have been massive. And not to forget the best striker in the league, James Tavernier!

Keep spreading the goals through the team, and it will go along way.

It's in our own hands and that's the situation we must maintain. Keep it this way and they are powerless to stop us. No bad referring, no bias media, no outside noise from all and sundry. Nothing !
Every passing game we take full points hammers another nail in the mentally challengeds coffin and heaps the pressure on them.

Our attitude from the very first game has been spot on. Even yesterday at 8-0 players were still chasing things down and playing like it was 0-0.

Also every single player seems to be buying into what the management are doing. Very much a huge respect there we've not really had since Walter left.

Agree and I think is consistent with the point of the OP.

We have the ability. We, for the first time, have the depth in squad. If we maintain high level of effort shown yesterday we have every chance of taking the title.

As you say, maintaining our great form will give us a great chance of 55 come May (if season completed).

We are in a fantastic vein of form. My one concern is how the team react to a draw, or heaven forbid a defeat. Previously a stumble has been our achilles heel, seeing us drop points over a number of weeks. Lets hope that should a mishap happen the team have learned how to quickly get over it and not let it derail our season as has happened previously.

Last edited:
This will be good for Morelos, he will know that he needs to work hard when on the pitch to get a move.
Might bring him down to earth now.
Any silly sending offs and his game time will reduce dramatically .
That’s one thing you can’t label against Morelos, not working hard.

He might not be the high scoring cf that we’ve been used to, that’s down to misfiring and a different role in the team.
His last few games he’s been in fine form.

We need to approach every game from the first minute to the last as if it's our cup final, with intensity and hunger. If we can be as good and as relentless as we were yesterday then we'll turn the odd draw into victory and go on a long run.

That’s one thing you can’t label against Morelos, not working hard.

He might not be the high scoring cf that we’ve been used to, that’s down to misfiring and a different role in the team.
His last few games he’s been in fine form.
Its a different kind of work harder from last season as he more a team player now and playing deeper hence less goals.
Dont know if thats a good thing as his value was likely more based on goals.

Having the options to change up front now is a big plus. Too many times we relied on morelos and we don't need to as much now. Great to see he is finding his form again by the way

Back