The Tranmere Warning Sign

Albertz_Was_King

The 10th of July Rangers headed to Tranmere. We lost 1-0 but that wasn’t the full story.

Fresh off the celebrations of 55, Bears were excited at starting the new season. This was the first pre-season game, following Partick, where essentially our full squad finally returned to action. Fans could attended again and the mood was one of elation.

We were absolutely awful that day. Awful. Defoe was missing sitters, Lundstram looked overweight and couldn’t find a team mate. Roofe was chasing his touch and struggling to move. Kent looked miles off it and you could tell he enjoyed his holidays. Goldson and Simpson were all over the place at the back.

Overall it was a window into what was to come. We looked unmotivated, bloated and we were going through the motions.

Fans and Follow Follow tend to sweat the small stuff. However sometimes these things add up and you start to build a more vivid picture.

Gerrard spending more time at home due to restrictions being lifted and Gary Mac going back down the road to visit his family will have no doubt had an impact. Defoe getting permission to sit in a Sky Studio when only a couple of months ago he was sitting on the bench, decked out in coaching gear. Whilst not major issues in isolation, they all begin to add up.

A lack of clarity in message and direction grew and thus a malaise started to set in. “Panty wetters” aplenty pointed out that Pre-Season was worrying and our preparations were pointing to a tough season ahead.

The whole vibe and culture around the team just didn’t feel right. It’s the intangible things football fans feel. Whether it’s through player interviewed, messages sent out by the coaching staff, you could sense that something was amiss.

Then Malmö happened. A culmination of a pre-season that was “phoned in”. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Ultimately the coaching staff lost motivation. They lost the hunger and they took their eye off the ball. A team is a reflection of their manager and we had a team that was unrecognisable from the season previous. No amount of finger pointing from them, toward the board will convince me otherwise.

The time to part, from Rangers point of view, has come at the right time. We will move on and I think this gives us a greater chance of success.

Last edited:
Two things:

1. Footballers are happy to take any excuse offered to them.

2. Even a 5% drop off in attitude is huge.

That said, we are top of the league, in the semi-final of the LC and a 2-0 win away from qualifying for the knock out phase of the EL.

We are still in a great position to kick on and make this a legendary season.

All this 20:20 vision hindsight stuff is just bollocks.
Not really.

A sizeable amount of people were alarmed with the shitshow that was pre-season.

That Tranmere game in particular was a game I recall a number of fans wondering what was to come.

I think many feel that, whilst we have been winning, something just didn’t feel right. That the signposts were there along the way.

Agree with most of this.

What is puzzling to me that I can’t understand is how only a few weeks earlier … on the day of 55 celebrations, Gerrard said this was only the start, he wanted more and an exciting summer lay ahead.

What the hell happened between then and that 1st pre season game?

I get we didn’t spend money in the summer wjndow but the Covid impact was well known on our finances so clearly an investor has a change of heart on how much they were willing to invest.

At the end of the day, and what has become clear now, the reasons for the malaise and average performances is the coaching and management team downed tools , not the players

Nobody really knew back then what would happen

20:20 vision and all that is a load of rubbish

If you told me in March 2020 Gerrard be a league winning, invincibles manager with Rangers in a years time I wouldn’t have believed you.

Slight 20/20

We were miles off it that day but hangover expected.

I think it was just malmo that really sucked the life out of everything

10 men half time there for the taking. Eyes on the champions league and took eye off the ball

Which then left us looking at europa as the red headed step kid when it was once something we were buzzing about

Think it just drained a lot of buzz

I know one of the remaining backroom team. He told me today things haven't been right all season and it's been obvious SG was looking to jump during the season.

There clearly has been something 'off' since the 1st ball was kicked. The reason for that may be down to rumours that Gerrard had agreed to join AV next summer. It may be that the coaching staff lost their motivation. Did he lose the dressing room? Nò-one but Gerrard knows the true reason and I doubt we will find out anytime soon, if indeed at all. We can debate til we are blue in the face.
Fact is he has gone. Yesterdays man. We focus on the future and support the incoming manager

Brian Clough is reputed to have said that it's easier to get success than keep it, and sometimes it seems as though the energy of the side, in terms of movement and keeping shape etc, wasn't at previous levels this season; something didn't seem the same, deep down. Hopefully a new manager, with good ideas etc, can get this team going in a way that they haven't this season, consistently.

Last edited:
I reckon the OP is pretty much bang on the money.

There's very obviously been something wrong since the start of the season. I can only think this has stemmed from the management and filtered through to the players.

For so many talented guys like Hagi, Tav, Morelos, Goldson, Barisic and others to be off the boil for so long has been a huge concern and had no real signs of stopping.

Now at least we can have a clearing of minds and get back on with it with a new management team and renewed focus.

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.

You may well be correct with these insights - lack of fitness and lack of motivation from the managerial team filtering through, however if Steven Gerrard was not motivated, then that reflects really bad on Steven Gerrard. He's paid to do a job. If he's not motivated to do said job, then he should have been shown the door. That applies to every employed person everywhere, not only in football.

I've said a couple of times on here this should be seen as an opportunity for us - new management team, new vigour.

Slight 20/20

We were miles off it that day but hangover expected.

I think it was just malmo that really sucked the life out of everything

10 men half time there for the taking. Eyes on the champions league and took eye off the ball

Which then left us looking at europa as the red headed step kid when it was once something we were buzzing about

Think it just drained a lot of buzz
In my opinion we were always going to struggle against Malmö due to what happened against Tranmere and what followed.

Things just did not feel right overall.

The lack of coverage of pre-season itself was bizarre in itself and again was referenced by fans. As alluded to in the OP, whilst these things might seem trivial and nonsense, they all start to add up over time.

Hardly any footage of pre-season was released and it was notable how little interviews there were. Gerrard himself in previous years had several sit-down interviews with RTV however it was noticeably absent this year.

Again, the above might sound daft, but it will points to something not quite being right.

The 10th of July Rangers headed to Tranmere. We lost 1-0 but that wasn’t the full story.

Fresh off the celebrations of 55, Bears were excited at starting the new season. This was the first pre-season game, following Patrick, where essentially our full squad finally returned to action. Fans could attended again and the mood was one of elation.

We were absolutely awful that day. Awful. Defoe was missing sitters, Lundstram looked overweight and couldn’t find a team mate. Roofe was chasing his touch and struggling to move. Kent looked miles off it and you could tell he enjoyed his holidays. Goldson and Simpson were all over the place at the back.

Overall it was a window into what was to come. We looked unmotivated, bloated and we were going through the motions.

Fans and Follow Follow tend to sweat the small stuff. However sometimes these things add up and you start to build a more vivid picture.

Gerrard spending more time at home due to restrictions being lifted and Gary Mac going back down the road to visit his family will have no doubt had an impact. Defoe getting permission to sit in a Sky Studio when only a couple of months ago he was sitting on the bench, decked out in coaching gear. Whilst not major issues in isolation, they all begin to add up.

A lack of clarity in message and direction grew and thus a malaise started to set in. “Panty wetters” aplenty pointed out that Pre-Season was worrying and our preparations were pointing to a tough season ahead.

The whole vibe and culture around the team just didn’t feel right. It’s the intangible things football fans feel. Whether it’s through player interviewed, messages sent out by the coaching staff, you could sense that something was amiss.

Then Malmö happened. A culmination of a pre-season that was “phoned in”. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Ultimately the coaching staff lost motivation. They lost the hunger and they took their eye off the ball. A team is a reflection of their manager and we had a team that was unrecognisable from the season previous. No amount of finger pointing from them, toward the board will convince me otherwise.

The time to part, from Rangers point of view, has come at the right time. We will move on and I think this gives us a greater chance of success.
Give it a rest mate.
We had a great 3 1/2 years, more highs than lows.
It's time for someone else to have a go on your ex bird.
That's football.
X

Fresh off the celebrations of 55, Bears were excited at starting the new season. This was the first pre-season game, following Patrick, where essentially our full squad finally returned to action. Fans could attended again and the mood was one of elation.

Or... He got offered £5m a year and thought, %^*& it I'm off.

When King stepped down it was only a matter of time when Gerrard left.

For me the issues started when we won the league. Yes the players should have had a moment to enjoy and bask in the glory but it wasn’t the end of the season. Europe should’ve became the focus and we had a very winnable tie where frankly we didn’t turn up. Once Europe and the cup was over preparations and focus should have been for this season and the champs league qualifiers. It wasn’t - everyone’s focus was on the league win and summer holidays and partying! Nothing wrong with relaxing but when season starts then the hard work should’ve started - everyone still seemed hungover.

Im not sure if the eye off the ball has come from job done we won the league or ok I’ve done enough here time to move on. Whatever it is/was it’s not the attitude and mind set that’s required at Rangers. Yes Gerrard over all I think you can say was a success but 1/9 isn’t what rangers legends are. Frankly only 1/6 of the cups you can says was acceptable the rest diabolical.

If you also look at Europe we lost some games we really should not have.

It was the 11th of November 2021, 6hrs had passed since the news of Gerrards move to Villa trickled through the grapevine.

It was cold and dark on FF, but thread after thread of pish kept the bears warm through the night
Not as good as the Stan / Eminem one of last night but quality sir.

There possibly is something in what your saying mate, or it could just be reading into it..

Last season in terms of preparation etc was the perfect scenario. Covid obviously the elephant in the room, but it was a really good pre-season from what I remember. Everyone pretty much fit, concentrated on the challenge.

This season was nothing like that, for a variety of reasons.

Had he left after 55 I dread to think. Personally, selfishly, I'd have liked to have seen him see out this season, but.. I'd draw the line at them downing tools.

Anyway not a post designed to debate bud, as tbh i'm on the same page in terms of seeing this as an opportunity rather than any kind of disaster.

Don't think anyone could argue that something wasn't right in terms of team performance. We've all been saying 'when we click it'll come good'.

Last 2 league games have been a marked improvement from an attacking sense, but that's all.

I said the same yesterday, we have been shit all season, in fact we've been shit the whole calender year apart from a couple of games.

Unless we completely make an arse of appointing his successor then it won't be a bad thing.
Don't think we've been shit mate.

However, I've also been of the notion that we've not been firing the whole year as well, bar a few matches - we're not having the same slice of luck this season, both in defending and in front of goal. Luck is a big part of the game.

Who said you create your own luck?:))

Was it Advocaat that said two seasons is plenty after that the players get used to your ways and your team talks don’t have the same results.
Still his timing is $hite

You absolutely love the misery business man.

Don't think we've been shit mate.

However, I've also been of the notion that we've not been firing the whole year as well, bar a few matches - we're not having the same slice of luck this season, both in defending and in front of goal. Luck is a big part of the game.
We are struggling to score and look like conceding any time the opposition crosses the half way line.

Shit/poor/average, define it how you want but we are a shadow of the team from last season

I agree with the OP. Our pre-season reeked of complacency and we never got out of second gear. Hopefully, SG’s sudden departure will give the squad the jolt they need to pick up the pace and drive forward. Some might think SG will come back for them in January or next summer but in order to persuade Villa’s money men they will have to start putting in performances.

Outstanding post. I said at the time during pre season something was off. It felt different. But it was pre season.

The football and focus this year has been at times miles off it. All season it’s not felt right.

I think gerrard would have got more success but it was coming to an end. The football and tactics have been horrific in the main. We’ve been really defensive, withdraw and have lacked drive and energy.

Back