'The Wembley Jib' How ticketless fans got into the final

Do what you need to do. If I was standing without a ticket and a door opened and a load of folk ran through, I’d be extremely tempted to join them. No need for the violence that pursued.
I did it at Ibrox neardy game wasn't going until my pals were getting on the bus and I was a bit tipsy get to the turnstile and my pal was behind and he had a ticket offered the steward 40 and he said he can't my pal said give me your foot and swoosh right over the big brown gates I was like a snake coming down the other side and we won so I was happy lol

I did it at Ibrox neardy game wasn't going until my pals were getting on the bus and I was a bit tipsy get to the turnstile and my pal was behind and he had a ticket offered the steward 40 and he said he can't my pal said give me your foot and swoosh right over the big brown gates I was like a snake coming down the other side and we won so I was happy lol
Love these stories. Heard a good few of them. The good old days.

‘To Pay is to Fail’

Manchester inter city jibbers, them and the scousers did it in the 70s/80s to follow about / dothe European trips ‘grafting’ (the trans alpine tickets where they just changed the date on the ticket!

some good books on it / wild stories of the brass neck a lot of them had

in my early days in the 80s did see people bunking in / jumping turnstile / bribing stewards at Hampden / piggery quite often , really only see it on a scale at the bigger away euro games when tickets are tight

‘To Pay is to Fail’

Manchester inter city jibbers, them and the scousers did it in the 70s/80s to follow about / dothe European trips ‘grafting’ (the trans alpine tickets where they just changed the date on the ticket!

in my early days in the 80s did see people bunking in / jumping turnstile / bribing stewards at Hampden / piggery quite often , really only see it on a scale at the bigger away euro games when tickets are tight
Have read pretty much all the books you speak of. Still lads and lasses who do it now at those Clubs.

Have done similar myself when younger (not storming gates like that mind), wouldn't do it now I must admit - was there Sunday with a ticket and it was horrendous really. Could have resulted in an old bloke having a heart attack or something. Can't believe how few Coppers there were for such a big match, seen more by some volume at the Munich Amateur Derby or German lower tier matches (where you are talking 10k attendances if that) that I have been at in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Was also surprised by how pre-meditated it all was. They had fake tickets made. Guy seems to talk like he’s done nothing wrong, talking about how his dad might not get another chance etc
If it was us in a CL final I think we’d see similar scenes tbh. Look at Feyenoord, people got in with fakes and the tickets said 16 90 as the row/seat :D

I can remember a report on Liverpool/AC for the 2007 final, there was Liverpool fans stealing tickets off of other fans and running through the ticket check point.

I was at Wembley for England v Denamark and couldn’t believe the lack of police or stewards.

There was a presence at the tube station but as you got along Wembley Way to the stadium it was less & less. A thin line of stewards checking COVID vaccinations, then another thin line checking tickets and after that there were a few dotted around outside the gates.
No big presence at all and some of the behaviours of people on the concourses once you got inside the ground was pretty shocking - again, no police or steward intervention.

What happened on Sunday was no surprise at all.

They got in because the cops and the stewards weren’t doing their jobs properly. God forbid, but just imagine what could’ve have transpired if some headcase with a backpack (;)) had got in.
That. Also, I noticed the stairs they all rushed up. Just a straight stairwell . Thought they should all be of the switchback style these days. Someone trips at the bottom on the way down and everyone is falling over them.

Was at Wembley on Sunday. Defiantly badly organised, I had a ticket and didn’t even get checked until the last turnstile. Would have been easy to jib in, saw loads of it happening.

After the game on Wembley Way was a shambles too. 2 hours it took to get from the stadium to the station.

That post match wait has happened every time I've been to Wembley. Its soul destroying standing outside in a queue of 50,000 before a trek across London and a 4 hour train journey home after losing in a cup final at Wembley.

It all sounds a wee bit tin pot. Wembley not wanting to pay for sufficient police, snottery nosed students masquerading as security.

Not a good look for 'the home of football'
FA might as just withdraw WC2030 bid, save some money - absolute no chance England are getting anywhere near that award.

1973 cup final ;)

My brother in law took me to a few games where he paid to get us in but can’t remember exact games. I used to get a lift over too and “doubling up” was quite common at the time. All changed once all seating was introduced.

If it was us in a CL final I think we’d see similar scenes tbh. Look at Feyenoord, people got in with fakes and the tickets said 16 90 as the row/seat :D

I can remember a report on Liverpool/AC for the 2007 final, there was Liverpool fans stealing tickets off of other fans and running through the ticket check point.

Well was Manchester 08 any less of a big deal to us ? We’d waited 36 years for a final at that point.

Clearly there were issues that night but I don’t recall people without tickets trying to storm into the City of Manchester stadium.

You can understand folks desperation but it’s still a step too far. I can’t imagine any circumstances that I or anyone I know would try to storm into a stadium

I skipped into the piggery in 1999 on the day we won the league, I was 16.

I don't regret it :))

Surely there is a legal requirement to have proper security for something like this? As TCWNS1872 pointed out someone with a 'backpack' getting in there would have been a disaster. Authorities seem obsessed with looking in little old ladies handbags but something like Sunday night is met with a shrug and putting wee Rupert from Tunbridge Wells is a hi viz jacket. What a joke!

Thanks any management of the stadium inc security on UEFA? They take over the stadia for comps. Do the same with Ibrox during CL and EL.

Apparently it happened Denmark game as well.
Don’t get me started about the Denmark game, diving taken to a new standard, two balls on the field at penalties, and homers for VAR, they shouldn’t have been in the final. As for the Football, Spain v Italy the finest game of football seen in ages, would have made a brilliant Final, instead of bleeting losers!

Don’t get me started about the Denmark game, diving taken to a new standard, two balls on the field at penalties, and homers for VAR, they shouldn’t have been in the final. As for the Football, Spain v Italy the finest game of football seen in ages, would have made a brilliant Final, instead of bleeting losers!
I agree. England got all the luck in that game.

‘To Pay is to Fail’

Funnily enough, I was reading about the King of the Jibbers, Eddie Beef, who died a few weeks ago.

There was too much temptation with so many empty seats. Doesn’t make it right but it would happen at anything like that. If we were playing in a champions league final in Britain and there would be 30k empty seats the same would happen.

That post match wait has happened every time I've been to Wembley. Its soul destroying standing outside in a queue of 50,000 before a trek across London and a 4 hour train journey home after losing in a cup final at Wembley.
Have been to Wembley few times, that’s the worst I’ve saw it on Sunday. Good day out though.

RIP 'Eddie Beef, King of the Jibbers' :D
I had no idea this sub culture 'to pay is to fail' was such a thing with the mancs.
And yet us Yorkshiremen are labelled as tight o_O
The guy (jockey) who runs the trainer shop Transalpino in Liverpool has some crazy stories of the football trips / scams they all got up too.
Jamie carragher big pal of his

I was at the old Wembley Stadium 6 times for Scotland games in the 60s and 70s and have been at the new Wembley 4 times for FA Cup semis & finals. It has always been an easy “jib”.

I was at the old Wembley Stadium 6 times for Scotland games in the 60s and 70s and have been at the new Wembley 4 times for FA Cup semis & finals. It has always been an easy “jib”.
Didn't look that easy on Sunday really, it was bloody chaos - be plenty getting a knock soon, couldn't be arsed with the hassle myself, easy have been a Steward or innocent child or bloke flattened at some parts. I basically had to do it myself at the Turnstile due to my ticket being rejected. Have you done it four times at the New Wembley?

There was too much temptation with so many empty seats. Doesn’t make it right but it would happen at anything like that. If we were playing in a champions league final in Britain and there would be 30k empty seats the same would happen.
Are you saying that if it was a full house no-one would have attempted to break in as they wouldn’t want to deprive a paying fan of their seat?

Are you saying that if it was a full house no-one would have attempted to break in as they wouldn’t want to deprive a paying fan of their seat?
No im not saying absolutely nobody would. Im saying the temptation would be greater for more to try it knowing they’d be able to sit in an empty seat and nobody would know.

Had to do this at Pittodrie once as I managed to sell my own ticket to someone. Was surprised at home easy it was.

I think if anyone is ideologically polarised, it's a guy who reads an article about guys sneaking into a game of football and then types the words, "I detected an almost neo-Marxist flavour to it." Probably my favourite ever line I've read on this website.

First it started with people breaking into Wembley, and before we knew it everyone was working on a collective farm for 5 Kopeks per day.

No im not saying absolutely nobody would. Im saying the temptation would be greater for more to try it knowing they’d be able to sit in an empty seat and nobody would know.
I wasn’t there on Sunday but from what I’ve seen and read, those who either attempted or succeeded in breaking in had zero regard for anyone else’s enjoyment or welfare.

I wasn’t there on Sunday but from what I’ve seen and read, those who either attempted or succeeded in breaking in had zero regard for anyone else’s enjoyment or welfare.
Yeah I have no doubt they wouldn’t care who they upset or endangered. I think the thought of the empty seats would’ve exacerbated it though.

European teams take cynical fouling etc to different level. It all becomes a problem when England (or Rangers)get something from the dark arts.
Open your eyes. Kane, Sterling and Grealish spent more time on their arse than anyone else.
Not more than anybody else, which is exactly my point. It’s only a problem to some when they do it.
But, but, but.... Its only those pesky foreigners that cheat.

Didn't look that easy on Sunday really, it was bloody chaos - be plenty getting a knock soon, couldn't be arsed with the hassle myself, easy have been a Steward or innocent child or bloke flattened at some parts. I basically had to do it myself at the Turnstile due to my ticket being rejected. Have you done it four times at the New Wembley?
Not myself. But I know a few Scousers who have done it.

Open your eyes. Kane, Sterling and Grealish spent more time on their arse than anyone else.

But, but, but.... Its only those pesky foreigners that cheat.
Yeah that’s not what I said at all. I said all footballers do it but it’s only a problem when it’s England players. Absolutely nothing about that says it’s only one or the other which is pretty much what you’re implying.

Hahaha what a load of nonsense :))

Back