There can only be one person to blame

Depends on the source, for instance what did we pay for Bacuna ?

but our spend was rumoured to be over £10million, £12.5million and around £15million the previous 3 seasons.

Do you also know what our wage bill was the year before Gerrard came till what it was when he left ?
If we were to look at the accounts you’d probably find out but I can guess that it’s doubled, not surprising considering we were swapping Rob Kieran for Connor Goldson etc

So you're blaming the lack of quality, discipline and focus from the team throughout the season on the players?

I'm trying to address the issues that have been with the team for the whole season and not one game. Yesterday was a tactical disaster but also very obviously there's been a lot wrong with the squad for a long time.
I agree there's been a lot wrong since the start of the season and we really should've freshened up the squad in the recent transfer window. To blame Gerrard for yesterday's result is an easy option we need to look at where we are now not the past we had players playing to try and impress the incoming manager and they failed miserably.

Gerrard could have sold a couple of players in the summer and rebuilt the squad to freshen it up but he was happy to go with what we had. We offer Goldson a new contract whilst Gerrard brings Lundstram in on allegedly on 35k a week so it's no wonder Goldson won't sign on for example so stuff like that is always going to cause issues within the dressing room.

I think it's clear from Goldson, Hagi and Arfields interviews recently that all hasn't been well behind the scenes so they are partly to blame for yesterday as well as the players.

Who did we get bids for?

Paterson for £5mil from Everton. Thats it.

If nobody is buying then we can't sell.

I think that the morale and the unity of the team started to go downhill after the loss to Malmo. At the very same time Gerrard's relationship with the board cooled off considerably. He began to make rumblings about lack of investment in players or to be more accurate, the need for greater investment. The boards response was that there would have been more money available had we beaten Malmo which I believe we should have been able to do with the squad that we had at the time. From that point it seemed that Gerrards head had started to go down and that must have surely rubbed off on the rest of the staff and players. This culminated with Gerrard doing his moonlight flit to Villa, taking his coaching staff with him which surely must have had an unsettling effect on the team. None of this was helped by the haphazard nature of putting a makeshift management team together when what was really needed was a figurehead to galvanise the team, possibly something that could have been handled better by Jermain Defoe. Our new managers man management skills will be crucial over the next few weeks to get this squad of players back on track. If he can go on to do that, I have absolutely no doubt that we have a good enough squad to retain the title comfortably

I agree there's been a lot wrong since the start of the season and we really should've freshened up the squad in the recent transfer window. To blame Gerrard for yesterday's result is an easy option we need to look at where we are now not the past we had players playing to try and impress the incoming manager and they failed miserably.
Yes they failed miserably but the rot had set in at the start of the season, and the blame for that lies at Gerrard's door.

I disagree. If grown professionals at the top end of the game cant get their act together on a park and follow instruction then no manager has a chance.

Much as we want to hate Stevie, this is not on him. This is squarely on the players.

That said, GVB, is gonna have a hard time, its not changing overnight and he will be the new calprit in a few weeks.

Gerrard is in the past m8 we need to move on.
I get that, it's just been really puzzling me for ages why we've suddenly turned s*** :D

(probably venting a bit too TBF)

I just hope we can turn things around quick cos Gio has a lot to sort out.

He’s the Aston Villa manager, not sure what that has got to do with us not being able to beat a hibs team that haven’t won in 4 and not played for nearly a month. Yes he left us but the fault lies squarely with the players on the pitch.

Whether it serves any purpose to blame Gerrard now he's gone is fair comment and anybody saying that is entitled to do so. However, it's a legitimate question to ask. I think a large proportion blame for yesterday's inept, shoddy, gutless performance lies at Gerrard's door whether here or not. Heartlessness, lack of desire, unmotivated and slow moving are down to Gerrard. There's simply no getting away from it. The man left a shambles for the new man to inherit.

Man for man we are better than Hibs, yesterday apart from Arfield and Aribo we were hopeless. McGregors positioning and command of 6 yard box is questionable, Tav was poor both defensively and in his delivery. Not vocal/aggressive enough for a captain. Goldson has too much to say for himself and there is a time and a place for such talk. Davis looked knackered and Morelos' form been poor most of the season.
Things badly need to be freshened up and hopefully Gio can do this starting on Thursday.
The players need to take a good look at themselves and realise that they are letting the club and more importantly the great support down.
Gerrard apparently interested in Barasic, I'd sell (£10m +) as we have Bassey to replace him. I'd also sell Tav for right price although Paterson probably our best asset financially.
Jack has to be first on team sheet for me and should be captain. Davis has been a legend at Ibrox but needs a rest. Morelos needs dropping and Kent needs to pick the pace up and straighten his face.
We have been poor most of the season and keep giving teams a start. GVB has to change this immediately and we move on. WATP

I blame two, Goldson and Morelos. Two of them have been running about with their faces tripping them all year. They can go back to Helsinki and the bench at Brighton. That'll give something to greet about.

Whether it serves any purpose to blame Gerrard now he's gone is fair comment and anybody saying that is entitled to do so. However, it's a legitimate question to ask. I think a large proportion blame for yesterday's inept, shoddy, gutless performance lies at Gerrard's door whether here or not. Heartlessness, lack of desire, unmotivated and slow moving are down to Gerrard. There's simply no getting away from it. The man left a shambles for the new man to inherit.
Do you not think Gerrard seen this coming. I stated in previous threads regarding his departure that I believe a decisive factor on him leaving was not being backed in the recent transfer window, it's now as clear as day that we need to strengthen and freshen the squad up a bit. Gerrard has gone and if players can't motivate themselves enough to try impress the incoming manager that's on the players and no-one else.

Gerrard categorically denied that there was anything wrong when it was all too obvious from the start of the season that the team wasn't firing on all cylinders.

The above would also appear to sum up the thinking of the majority on this forum then. Those who would see no evil, far less read it.

What an opportunity it was yesterday for the players to go out and impress the new gaffer. To fight for their futures. Sadly they performed like shite.
What's the point in blaming a manager that isn't here any more. The players should have gave everything yesterday...but sadly they let themselves and the fans down.

you can't blame an ex-manager if all the players down tools.

Gerrard wasn't there yesterday - I think the result would have been different if he had been

But he wasn't and the players didn't rise to the occasion.

GvB needs to reinvigorate them or ship out the ones who don't fancy it

We've still got the best squad in the league - there is no need for panic
Some players dropped tools while he was still there.

Sunday was on the players and nobody else. It was a transitional week with SG leaving and Gio appointed. The players would have known the importance of the game and should of put in a performance for their new manager who was watching from the stand.

I don't get that some players have downed tools and want out. No club is going to buy Goldson or Morelos and offer them the wages they want the way they are playing.

Yesterday was just a continuation of the unprofessional dross we have watched since the start of the season. Out of the CL and League Cup through sloppy play all over the pitch. Millions in revenue lost and a whole management and coaching staff gone.
Gerrard and Co did nothing to arrest the slide and made a rip roaring mess of the Malmo tie.
The players were to blame Yesterday. Feckless, unprofessional and lacking any real drive or leadership. They have been allowed to get into that state and the blame lies with Gerrard.

Back