There needs to be a open discussion between manager & players

captcaveman

Its clear as day that we aren't the team we were just last season and yes we have sold players but, even the basic things look so laboured from us. We look slow and as if we are running with a sack of coal on our backs, in other words we have lost that spark and energy we previously had.

This leads to the obvious questions such as,

1. Do the players just hate the system(s) that Gio is wanting to keep playing for the team and just have no enthusiasm for it.
2 Has Gio lost the dressing room?
3. What can we do to bring things back? Do the players jsut need to have a very open discussion with the manager and his coaching staff and just lay it on the line that they aren't happy as a collective?

People are forgetting these same players have thrown in runs of form like this in nearly all the seasons they have played bar 1 when we had the league won by january

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

All have been a part of it, all have downed tools/chucked it/ had horrendous runs of form in several seasons

This isn’t a new thing, the worst thing I can say about it is we still try and rely on them

I think Gios system, his management can be treated seperately and that is not good enough , But it doesn’t matter who coaches this lot of players , they are weak and hide and are when they don’t give 100% the lack of ability is magnified.

Gios tactics don’t make Kent a terrible finisher, with 3 in 50 odd games and missing chances Van vossen would gobble up

They don’t make kamara a coward who half arses games at 50%

They don’t make Goldson get caught under the ball constantly

A lot of these players have been here 5 years, and have 2 trophies

The players are the problem before GVB, they are cowardly and weak who haven’t got the ability to go out and give it 50% and win games of football.

To be honest I think we are well past that stage OP
I just mean that even the very basic things are just not there. We are gone backwards in the of space not even 1 year at the rate of knots! We cannot continue to be expected to sit and watch games which are such ,frankly turgid matches . There either has to be a frank exchange of views and things change or Gio has to move on and the experiment with him is over.

People are forgetting these same players have thrown in runs of form like this in nearly all the seasons they have played bar 1 when we had the league won by january

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

All have been a part of it, all have downed tools/chucked it/ had horrendous runs of form in several seasons

This isn’t a new thing, the worst thing I can say about it is we still try and rely on them

I think Gios system, his management can be treated seperately and that is not good enough , But it doesn’t matter who coaches this lot of players , they are weak and hide and are when they don’t give 100% the lack of ability is magnified.

Gios tactics don’t make Kent a terrible finisher, with 3 in 50 odd games and missing chances Van vossen would gobble up

The players are the problem before GVB, they are cowardly and weak who haven’t got the ability to go out and give it 50% and win games of football.
And yet he still picks them

You make some good points

But both players and manager are valid issues

Gio going with out Wilson going is pointless as Wilson will pick his replacement so absolutely no point.
Get rid of Wilson first then the manager.

The only thing that possibly turns this around is the manager having a look at what he is doing wrong and making significant changes.

We have Morelos sitting on the bench today doing nothing while Kent plays the full game as out of form as a player can possibly get.

Why not just play Morelos and Colak? Why do we have to continue to play a system that doesn’t suit the players we have? He needs to be bold and make attacking changes to the team.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen us line up as negatively at home to Dundee utd as we did today. They are absolutely trash, show them zero respect

Of course he is an issue, I think we need to treat that separately though, getting rid of one doesn’t solve the other.
I agree, although at this stage what's a more realistic solution?

Trying to regenerate essentially a whole new first team, finding buyers for a few with new and big contracts under someone that seems to be struggling to motivate them?

Or changing the manager in the hope of bringing in someone that can motivate them in the short term and set them up effectively for this season at least.

Ultimately we shouldnt still be relying so much on the players listed, which is a bigger conversation. Incredible it has come to this really

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

Spot on! Too many saying it’s Gio this and that while forgetting the previous bad form (or evens the good form from Gio which hasn’t been enough to your other point). Bar the 55 season we’ve had nothing from wide lack of goals and creativity, Kent is an enigma he showed lots of potential when he first arrived and in some games he’s lived up to it, in 55 season he step up but other wise he’s no better than Wright! On the right hand side we’ve not had one player that we could count on and it’s 5 years we’ve been looking. Central mid we’ve had Davis and Jack do a good job in there but age and injuries they now need replaced and haven’t been. Kamara is steady but if there isn’t someone with dog and fair beside him can be a bit of an empty jersey. GK we’ve known we need a replacement and again we’ve done nothing ! Yes we need to watch the purse strings but we’re not making best use of what we have and now we’ll likely lose a couple of assets for nothing or give big contracts and watch them never repeat the good form! All that’s going to happen is we’ll watch them across the road get 5-6-7 and then panic throw money to stop 9-10 rinse and repeat. We need to build when we do get on top not rest and let them take over again!

There's a certain limp core at the Club, sadly.
Whether they're gutless or have just packed it in and are going through the motions (knowing that they still get picked every week) is something else.

We KEEP saying this, but this summer was the time to rejig our squad.
For several seasons we've carried on with the cheap options, along with (more recently) cashing in on the better players and retaining the inconsistent/unreliable ones.

As to the Manager -- he carries the can for the coaching.
We've all seen (and today at their goal, we STILL see) the deficiencies in our players.
Inability to jump, to track, to cover, to close down, to tackle, to block, to pass properly, to speed our game up sufficiently when required, to take responsibility, to hit a shot first time, to finish.
Not all the players are guilty of all of that.

But the coaches have had the majority of these players for some time now, and really should be doing their jobs and sorting the players' games out by now.

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

Kent is awful ,Goldson is as bad ,Tav is past it ,Barasic can only pass back the way,Kamara has chucked it,Jack is not half the player that came to us,need o go on the manager plays midfielders with no creativity and it's clear as day that he has lost the fans that means there is no way back for him ,whether the club get rid of him now or wait until we finish maybe not even in Europe I don't know but the board must know that it is not working with Gio.

We are the same team we were in the league, that’s a domestic display we’ve seen plenty time since Gio arrived

That’s how a Gio side plays football in Scotland

TBF - much of what we saw with Gerrard was similar in the league. Sitting midfielders and shutting shop when we go a goal up instead of going for the jugular.

We are simply doing the same with an even staler bunch of players minus Aribo and Bassey.

We are the same team we were in the league, that’s a domestic display we’ve seen plenty time since Gio arrived

The run to the Europa league final masked our domestic form. That was painful today.

TBF - much of what we saw with Gerrard was similar in the league. Sitting midfielders and shutting shop when we go a goal up instead of going for the jugular.

We are simply doing the same with an even staler bunch of players minus Aribo and Bassey.

Gerrard isn’t our manager anymore….but Gerrard is a done thing now, this is how Gio is playing football

Next you’ll be wanting the SLO to engage with fans and the PR dept to defend Rangers fans

Listening to gvb after match presser
It really doesn't fill me with optimism
Hees draining the life out that dressing room and soon the fans

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

Great post mate but you’ve missed Lundstrum out. He’s living on last seasons performances. When he plays in midfield as he did today, he plays a massive part in setting the tempo and transition from back to front. He is 100% the main reason the tempo is so slow.

He’s also lost a lot of dig and desire around his defensive play. Every ball that drops into the midfield goes to an opposition player. I stuck by him when he first arrived but I now think he is a problem player.

The only thing that possibly turns this around is the manager having a look at what he is doing wrong and making significant changes.

We have Morelos sitting on the bench today doing nothing while Kent plays the full game as out of form as a player can possibly get.

Why not just play Morelos and Colak? Why do we have to continue to play a system that doesn’t suit the players we have? He needs to be bold and make attacking changes to the team.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen us line up as negatively at home to Dundee utd as we did today. They are absolutely trash, show them zero respect
The stubbornness of not changing his philosophy will cost him his job. Unfortunately this board may wait until next Summer to make the changes that we can all see are needed now.

The amount of times we score and then seem to settle for that is ridiculous.

If Celtic had scored after 8 minutes today, they'd have taken 4/5/6 at a canter.

We score after 8 minutes and then pass the ball about aimlessly. We should've been looking to eat into that Goal Difference at the very least.

It's hard to come to any other conclusion that the manager is simply too conservative for a title chasing side in Scotland.

Said before players get away with phoning it in because they don't have to answer for it.

They play every week
They get their cash
They are shielded from real criticism.

Anywhere else in Europe there would be fans at the training centre demanding it improves.

Kent
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Tavernier
Kamara

100% all of this and especially the part in bold.

serial fucking losers these players, bottle merchants.

Gio's tactics can't account for Scott Wright being shite with many of his first touches or getting a decent cross in.

Gio's tactics don't account for how much of a shitebag Goldson is (see Hibs 2-2 game this season.

Gio's tactics don't account for Jack being washed, but who are you replacing him with? Kamara? He has checked out. Davis? Under Gerrard we said he was getting used too much. McCann? 20 years old and being asked to be consistent every week, not going to happen and the results will happen.

Gio's tactics don't account for how erratic Sakala is.

Gio's tactics don't account for Morelos going out and being a bawbag at times getting sent off or still get stupid bookings.

Gio's tactics don't account for the sicknotes getting issued every week from Roofe Souttar and Helender.

Now Gio might not be the man for the job but some of these certainly aren't the men for the job either!

The amount of times we score and then seem to settle for that is ridiculous.

If Celtic had scored after 8 minutes today, they'd have taken 4/5/6 at a canter.

We score after 8 minutes and then pass the ball about aimlessly. We should've been looking to eat into that Goal Difference at the very least.

It's hard to come to any other conclusion that the manager is simply too conservative for a title chasing side in Scotland.

It’s dull to watch, it looks utterly dull to play in. The week to week of the league just looks like a complete chore to all involved, that rests with the manager, his players look disinterested and disengaged from whatever it is he’s apparently coaching. I’m not shocked by that, it’s a horrible style of football

He’s had enough a say in the squad, who’s here, not been sold, given new contracts etc that it should just be a lot more fun than this

It would be a good idea if there was a clear the air discussion between the players and manager. Something's not right.
Right now, I'm watching the Spurs game and they are destroying Leicester . I read Conte the other day say he brought his players in 9am next day after their European disaster and had a serious discussion with his players about how he expected more from them and that the conversation was frank between them. Today he got a reaction from his players, we are still waiting for our reaction from ours.

This is what I was meaning in my OP, there's clearly issues at Ibrox between the players and Gio and it needs sorted or this is going to continue.

It's far from the only issue, but I think that so many of our players look shattered. The likes of Tav, Goldson and Kent have played almost every game of the previous 4 seasons, wouldn't be surprising if it was taking a toll. In addition, Davis, McGregor, Arfield and Jack are simply getting old and cant do what they used to. The problem is with a bit better planning at least some of this could have been addressed or mitigated.

100% all of this and especially the part in bold.

serial fucking losers these players, bottle merchants.

Gio's tactics can't account for Scott Wright being shite with many of his first touches or getting a decent cross in.

Gio's tactics don't account for how much of a shitebag Goldson is (see Hibs 2-2 game this season.

Gio's tactics don't account for Jack being washed, but who are you replacing him with? Kamara? He has checked out. Davis? Under Gerrard we said he was getting used too much. McCann? 20 years old and being asked to be consistent every week, not going to happen and the results will happen.

Gio's tactics don't account for how erratic Sakala is.

Gio's tactics don't account for Morelos going out and being a bawbag at times getting sent off or still get stupid bookings.

Gio's tactics don't account for the sicknotes getting issued every week from Roofe Souttar and Helender.

Now Gio might not be the man for the job but some of these certainly aren't the men for the job either!

It’s quite incredible how many excuses Gio gets made for him.

Back