There's 23 people on the pitch at kick-off...

gers1978

...two teams of 11 and a referee.

What's the chances that at least 2 people on the pitch share a birthday? (day/month only, and ignore leap years/twins/etc)
50.7% - it's more likely than not that at the start of any football match, at least 2 people on the pitch share a birthday.

All statistics, less common that you think. 365/23 = nearly 16, it doesn’t state it has to be a specific date or that would increase the odds ten fold

I’ve explained it pish, but it’s the birthday paradox

Last edited:
Heard that a while ago. Don’t know how it works but my answer was Evens based on hearing it before

For 23 people the probability is 50.7%
For 30 people the probability is 70.6%
For 40 people the probability is 89.1%
For 50 people the probability is 97.0%
For 75 people the probability is 99.97%

As the number of people increases the probability gets more closer to 100%.
It is exactly 100% for 366 people.

Quite a leap from 75 to 366 to get only a 0.03% rise in probability.

...two teams of 11 and a referee.

What's the chances that at least 2 people on the pitch share a birthday? (day/month only, and ignore leap years/twins/etc)
50.7% - it's more likely than not that at the start of any football match, at least 2 people on the pitch share a birthday.
Ah well, that’s my mind blown. Would never have guessed that to be the case.

Love facts like these, thanks OP.

I remember an old maths teacher telling us in school that there was similar levels of probability of having two people in an average class size of 25 sharing a birthday

What a lot of shite.

If this is correct then I challenge you to go through our last 20 games and tell me who shared a birthday. If correct then you should get round about 10 give or take.

I was born on the same date not year as Pele on a slight less talented level it’s also the same as Christian Daily and Big Amo.

I remember an old maths teacher telling us in school that there was similar levels of probability of having two people in an average class size of 25 sharing a birthday
We were the same although there was 26 in our class. As it happens, there were 4 kids with the same birthdays (2 and 2).

Tbf, one set was twins, still…

Great stat.

Had a quick look at our squad against PSV's as an example and Yilmaz has the same birthday as the PSV reserve goalie!

For anyone who was like me and sure the OP was talking nonsense :))

. While it may seem surprising that only 23 individuals are required to reach a 50% probability of a shared birthday, this result is made more intuitive by considering that the comparisons of birthdays will be made between every possible pair of individuals. With 23 individuals, there are (23 × 22) / 2 = 253 pairs to consider, much more than half the number of days in a year

Back