They don’t get it

Just spent the night watching some of the old firms from 2012 and back to the 1990's.

It's only after watching these games and reminding me about what a Rangers team is all about I've realised this current team hasn't got anywhere near the desire of these previous teams.

The modern game has created a softness that is against what was one of our key strengths as a club in bygone years. A hardness and desire amongst the team generated by a habit of trophy winning.

Any one curious, have a look at The Scottish Cup finals of 1999 and 2002, along with any old firm Walter Smith was manager. Tremendous viewing.
Having a team rammed with players like Numan, Gio, de Boer, Reyna, Ferguson etc helped more than a bit too.

Celtic only have celtic men on their board.
They have a celtic manager in place
Their backroom staff are celtic fans
They've only ever had scottish captains
They have a core group of scottish players that set the tone and maintain the standards in their dressing room

We don't have any of the above
Bang on again. And their top men just watch what we do, then make their move regards signings. They keep the culture in house and hate us. We have nice guys who don’t have many winners medals.

Nobody is forced to follow the players though, and if they don't like it, it's dead easy to click unfollow.

In fact, if someone is going to get raging at a player for posting on their own social media then perhaps it's time for them to reevaluate their own choices and their relationship with the internet.
My point is that players seem to think that posting on social media seems more important then how the team is doing or has done. Lose an important game but still think that they have to post crap online.
Hence why I think it should be banned.
I'm not getting into an argument about this as my opinion won't change.

You don’t have to be following someone on social media for their posts to be brought to your attention. The issue isn’t a player posting, it was more the timing.
Despite following several players on IG, I've managed to somehow avoid Scott Wright's story.

You do need to be actively following someone to see those.

Every good team has a solid spine

I’d be content to go with Butland in goal and Sterling in CM, which leaves CD and CF as the two most crucial signings we need to make this summer

The night that lot win another league and Scott Wright is on instagram stories resharing photos because for once he’s actually done something of note in a game. They should be hanging their heads in shame not self promoting.
I've been raging for months. Can't leave the house after defeats, whilst they go on to post shit like that.
A complete lack of understanding from certain players to Rangers fans standards.

My point is that players seem to think that posting on social media seems more important then how the team is doing or has done. Lose an important game but still think that they have to post crap online.
Hence why I think it should be banned.
I'm not getting into an argument about this as my opinion won't change.
Football is their job.

Do you alter what you post because a customer of your work thinks your work didn't perform to their expectations? Would you let them dictate that?

I certainly don't, and wouldn't be so entitled as to think that I could dictate it/claim they should be banned from having it.

No different to thinking a film was shite and raging that the director or one of the actors posts something about themselves.

They have a core group of scottish players that set the tone and maintain the standards in their dressing room

We need to buy scottish this summer and ditch the cabal that has stank our corridors out for years
Scott Wright is Scottish,
We need Scottish Rangers supporters

Football is their job.

Do you alter what you post because a customer of your work thinks your work didn't perform to their expectations? Would you let them dictate that?

I certainly don't, and wouldn't be so entitled as to think that I could dictate it/claim they should be banned from having it.

No different to thinking a film was shite and raging that the director or one of the actors posts something about themselves.
We get it, you disagree. Give it a rest.

Every good team has a solid spine

I’d be content to go with Butland in goal and Sterling in CM, which leaves CD and CF as the two most crucial signings we need to make this summer
I’m going to go against the grain here Sterling should be absolutely nowhere near a midfield spot next season we need proper midfielders who can dictate games have a range of passing and can take the ball on the half turn and hurt teams.

He hasn’t got that sort of quality.

He’s a RB let’s play him there

Football is their job.

You can’t compare the job as a footballer to an office job or actor/director … there’s so many other variables at play for a footballer.

I see the point you tried to make, but it’s brutally flawed.

Football is their job.

I don't do social media apart from FF.
Fans are hurting that we didn't win the league but it doesn't hurt the players as bad as they probably weren't Rangers supporters growing up.
It's their job, earn a fortune and defeat doesn't hurt them like it does the fans that pay a lot for season tickets etc.
The players will still earn thousands per week, win lose or draw..
Unless they grew up a Rangers fan and play for Rangers they won't know how it feels losing the league yet again to them.

We need to buy scottish this summer and ditch the cabal that has stank our corridors out for years
As much as the above makes sense, you know there is literally zero chance of the above happening under the current manager right?

Having a team rammed with players like Numan, Gio, de Boer, Reyna, Ferguson etc helped more than a bit too.
Barry Ferguson walked off the pitch with Neil Lennon (or Lenny as he likes to call him) with his arms around him after a 2 nil defeat at Parkhead during the PLG time.

The night that lot win another league and Scott Wright is on instagram stories resharing photos because for once he’s actually done something of note in a game. They should be hanging their heads in shame not self promoting.

Totally agree.

Not usually one for ‘raging’ at the minor things in football, but for a Rangers attacker to score his first league goals in 2 years in essentially a dead rubber against Dundee, after 2 years of generally poor displays, then promote in on the same night your greatest rivals win the league, is quite pathetic.

It shows a real lack of awareness and a total disregard for how the fans are feeling right now. It hardly indicates that he is hurting at throwing the league away in the fashion we did.

I don’t like putting the boot into our own players, but for Scott Wright I am happy to make an exception. He is a cowardly player, which is worse than being not very good.

Fans are hurting that we didn't win the league but it doesn't hurt the players as bad as they probably weren't Rangers supporters growing up.
It's their job, earn a fortune and defeat doesn't hurt them like it does the fans that pay a lot for season tickets etc.
Unless they grew up a Rangers fan and play for Rangers they won't know how it feels losing the league yet again to them.
Not sure current players get exposed to the Gers of the past so much now either. It doesn’t do any harm to be reminded what we’re all about and what is expected.
Some true blue Scots players would be great but they need to be good enough. Arfield was a good example in recent times.

Professional footballers should never hurt like fans.

Sports psychologists (who many have suggested we employ) work to minimise the effects of wins and losses on the players so that a level of consistency is maintained.

If we've got players that react like fans then we don't have professional players.

Regardless, they can do what they like with their social media. Unless they're congratulating the other lot. In that instance I will absolutely agree that they're out of order.

Football is their job.

That makes little sense. We don’t buy season tickets for a director or a film, for example. And I assume you don’t have 45k coming to your work.

No one’s suggesting players don’t have a social outlet. All supporters are asking for is a little self-awareness and appreciation of the situation.

The Club takes advantage of the illogical nature of being a football fan. Maybe they should be more respectful.

Barry Ferguson walked off the pitch with Neil Lennon (or Lenny as he likes to call him) with his arms around him after a 2 nil defeat at Parkhead during the PLG time.
I'm thinking the ability of those players is perhaps more of a reason for us winning loads compared with where we are now.

Professional footballers should never hurt like fans.

Sports psychologists (who many have suggested we employ) work to minimise the effects of wins and losses on the players so that a level of consistency is maintained.

If we've got players that react like fans then we don't have professional players.

Regardless, they can do what they like with their social media. Unless they're congratulating the other lot. In that instance I will absolutely agree that they're out of order.
WTF you on about?
A proffessional footballer playing for Rangers, who is a Rangers fan should feel less hurt losing a game than the fans? Tell that to McCoist, Bomber, Goram, Ferguson etc.
They're professional players because they get paid to play football. Doesn't make them any less of a fan and hurt less. And it shouldn't.

That makes little sense. We don’t buy season tickets for a director or a film, for example. And I assume you don’t have 45k coming to your work.

No one’s suggesting players don’t have a social outlet. All supporters are asking for is a little self-awareness and appreciation of the situation.

The Club takes advantage of the illogical nature of being a football fan. Maybe they should be more respectful.
The person I replied to said it should be banned, so he absolutely is saying they shouldn't have a social outlet.

I'm quite happy to take responsibility for what I engage with on social media. If others are going to get upset by what a player posts, then that's an issue for them and their relationship with social media.

We haven't heard from our chairman in a while.
So I dug this up.Maybe the last interview like this he gave?
Don't remember one as Chairman since?
From September 2022.Part two_Of an interview granted to Rangers TV
Some interesting words.
I, will say no more.

Not at all. But you have stated you disagree, many times. The opening post is hardly filled with rage either.
I don't see anything in the forum rules stating that there's a post limit, or that you can't continue a conversation

I did spot this though:
Posters that willfully derail a thread, by either taking it off topic, squabbling like a child because someone has the god-damn audacity to disagree with you or by posting nonsense will be given thread bans and forum bans.

WTF you on about?
A proffessional footballer playing for Rangers, who is a Rangers fan should feel less hurt losing a game than the fans? Tell that to McCoist, Bomber, Goram, Ferguson etc.
They're professional players because they get paid to play football. Doesn't make them any less of a fan and hurt less. And it shouldn't.
Do you really believe our successful teams dwelled on poor results the way some of the support do?

Professional sportspeople don't get overly up nor down about results until it's over. That's where our team f*cked up in the 55 season - they went overboard with the celebrations and never recovered form. When it's done, absolutely, celebrate and commiserate. Until the season is over though, it's the job if the manager to keep that in check.

Agree with you OP, it’s just all wrong.
If I see Scott Wright anywhere near our cup final team/squad i will be tempted to turn off.
Of course I won’t do it because i love our club too much.
But you just know he is going out there hoping for a highlight that he can post on social media afterwards - regardless of whether WE win or lose. That is not the attitude of a winner, and not what we need. Hope Big Phil is brutally ruthless in the summer,

I can hardly even blame them, plenty of fans are forever making excuses for them, celebrating meaningless personal accolades for players instead, so I’m not even shocked some of the players have that same attitude. I’d like to see it change more than anything, like others said there’s a big problem with the type of mindset running through the entire club now.

Last edited:
The person I replied to said it should be banned, so he absolutely is saying they shouldn't have a social outlet.

I'm quite happy to take responsibility for what I engage with on social media. If others are going to get upset by what a player posts, then that's an issue for them and their relationship with social media.

It’s not about your engagement. It’s about the player and what he deems appropriate to post - it says something about the person and his attitude to his ‘job’.

We’re on our 4th manager in 3 years. We’ve won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup in that time. It suggests a mentality issue, among other things.

Yes, a fan doesn’t have to follow an IG account. But we do see the attitude game-to-game.

Again, a little bit of self-awareness from our squad wouldn’t go amiss.

Back