They should have been down to 10 men at our Penalty

I don't think it is. If the defender makes a genuine attempt to play the ball its a penalty and a yellow. If he doesn't attempt to play the ball its a red. Question of a goal-scoring opportunity doesn't matter.
It is the rule, Colak can’t score essentially therefore its not a red card.

I don't think it is. If the defender makes a genuine attempt to play the ball its a penalty and a yellow. If he doesn't attempt to play the ball its a red. Question of a goal-scoring opportunity doesn't matter.
It does matter, it still has to be an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

I don't think it is. If the defender makes a genuine attempt to play the ball its a penalty and a yellow. If he doesn't attempt to play the ball its a red. Question of a goal-scoring opportunity shouldn't matter.
Think the rule is that he’s not in control of the ball it’s not a red.

No, he didn’t try to play the ball so it’s a red
If Antonio Čolak had been replaced by Usain Bolt for 15 seconds, he still wasn’t getting to that ball before David Marshall

There was no opportunity to score a goal, therefore it’s not a red card

It’s actually frightening how many folk don’t know the laws of the game that we all spend so much time watching (including from time to time, Willie Collum)

I always think to myself would the Rangers player be red carded and i thought a penalty and yellow

Lundstram didn’t try to play the ball, was that a red card offence? I don’t think so, and the rule states that it’s a red if you deliberately prevent a goal scoring opportunity, and it doesn’t look like Colak was getting to 5he ball.

He was the last man and that was a sending off all day long.

Terrible refereeing today, it seems to be every week.
I don't think it deserved a red if I am honest.
However, it had to be a penalty and it was stupid from the defender.

Funnily enough, I caught a bit of Alan Rough talking about Lundstram's sending off and he made a comment that such professional fouls should be a sending-off because it was blatant cheating.
I did notice that he never mentioned blatant cheating in regard to the foul on Colak.
Ho hum.

That rule is only in association with denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

ie. If you deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity in the penalty area with a genuine attempt to play the ball, it's a penalty and yellow card.

If you deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity in the penalty area with NO genuine attempt to play the ball, it's a penalty and red card.

In this case, the goalkeeper was getting the ball comfortably before Colak if he wasn't impeded. So there's no obvious goalscoring opportunity.

If Antonio Čolak had been replaced by Usain Bolt for 15 seconds, he still wasn’t getting to that ball before David Marshall

It’s actually frightening how many folk don’t know the laws of the game that we all spend so much time watching (including from time to time, Willie Collum)
Glad you explained that before I did. It’s never ever a red card.

It was a soft penalty award as there was no danger of the ball not getting to the goalie but a technical penalty. The challenge itself didn't warrant a red and because there was no goal scoring opportunity a yellow was the correct decision for the pull back.

I think it was Mc Fadden in the commentary team that explained why it wasn't a red and in my opinion he got it spot on.If anyone has the clip then stick it up will explain quite a bit.

There are two rules being discussed. Rather than one or the other, i believe both come into play.

Was it goalscoring opportunity.. no, so no rec

If it had been a goal scoring opportunity then no attdmpt to play the ball so it would have been a red

There are two rules being discussed. Rather than one or the other, i believe both come into play.

Was it goalscoring opportunity.. no, so no rec

If it had been a goal scoring opportunity then no attdmpt to play the ball so it would have been a red
You are sort of right.

Denial of a goalscoring opportunity is the red card offence in this instance.

EXCEPT if the offence is inside the penalty area and involves a genuine attempt to play the ball. In that case a penalty AND red card is deemed an excessively high punishment so a yellow card is given.

In this case there was no obvious goalscoring opportunity as the ball was rolling through to the keeper. So no red card offence.

Funnily enough, I caught a bit of Alan Rough talking about Lundstram's sending off and he made a comment that such professional fouls should be a sending-off because it was blatant cheating.
I did notice that he never mentioned blatant cheating in regard to the foul on Colak.
Ho hum.
I think this is where a rule change could help...
It is blatant cheating and is worthy of more than a yellow, but not as harsh as a red... sin bin for 5 minutes maybe? Soemthing along those lines?

As it is, in the rules, it was a yellow all day long. I am confident we'll get it overturned.

Does he not have to make an attempt to get the ball or has that changed to goalscoring opportunity?
See your point mate there was doubt but it’s the only reason the defender fouled him to stop him getting there . He thought he could get the ball or at least panicked with the thought . Also all he had the risk that the goalie could be dispossessed .

Imo he was getting the ball but equally was instantly under pressure and that being a goalie v striker spelled TROUBLE for him

I think this is where a rule change could help...
It is blatant cheating and is worthy of more than a yellow, but not as harsh as a red... sin bin for 5 minutes maybe? Soemthing along those lines?

As it is, in the rules, it was a yellow all day long. I am confident we'll get it overturned.
Yes, it is something that should be looked at.
A punishment that even if there is a mistake by an official, doesn't lead to an entire game being both totally changed and often ruined.

I don't think it is. If the defender makes a genuine attempt to play the ball its a penalty and a yellow. If he doesn't attempt to play the ball its a red. Question of a goal-scoring opportunity shouldn't matter.
If that's the case then the Lundstram red was correct as he didn't attempt to play the ball. The call was correct (the yellow, not the Lundstram red).

It’s a foul in the penalty area
There was no attempt to play the ball
It’s a red card
You’re right it’s frightening how many people don’t know the rules

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
It’s a foul in the penalty area
There was no attempt to play the ball
It’s a red card
You’re right it’s frightening how many people don’t know the rules
Seriously that is not correct. There's no law stating any foul in the penalty area with no attempt to play the ball is a red card. It has to deny a clear goalscoring opportunity before the attempt to play the ball comes into consideration.

You’re wrong. If a player is heading away from goal and is fouled by a player making no attempt to get the ball then it’s a red.
goal Scoring opportunity doesn’t come into effect.

Back