This “miss was a sitter” idea.

tazzabear

Posted this on another thread but thought it deserved more discussion.

Funny thing about this “sitter” is that the keeper makes a good save.
When McGregor makes such as save, like against McKay for Hearts or McCrorie, who saved from the Japanese diver, we’re full of praise for the keeper.
Big save and all that.
McLaughlin too, no doubt.
Seldom, if ever have I read about it being a sitter.
EXCEPT, when the intention was to say how bad a player Barrie McKay is.
So gents, what is it?
A sitter missed by a very poor footballer or a great save by the keeper?
Or, more importantly, why is their no balance?
Just for another wee bit of clarity, the Morelos miss just before the interval and his header against Hibs, were very poor attempts.

When McGregor makes such as save, like against McKay for Hearts or McCrorie, who saved from the Japanese diver, we’re full of praise for the keeper.
Big save and all that.
So gents, what is it?
Just for another wee bit of clarity, the Morelos miss just before the interval and his header against Hibs, were very poor attempts.
Think it was fine within another thread to be honest!

Think it was fine within another thread to be honest!
200.gif

Thread Polis!

Big save and all that.
So gents, what is it?
Some on here exaggerate every save McGregor makes

Some on here play down any of Morelos missed chances

This basically covers your point

The header he missed at Easter Road was the epitome of a sitter for me as the ball was plonked right onto his head when he was unmarked in front of goal.

It was a poor attempt alright, but it was also a textbook sitter.

His two first half efforts yesterday weren’t though.

The first he probably should have done better but it was also a good save by the Dundee keeper. The second was worse and the final attempt pitifully weak, but there were also bodies in the way so it wasn’t a guaranteed goal, IMO.

Up against the wall! “We’ve got a breathless rambling OP here looking for the legal definition of a sitter.”
A realistic definition would suffice.
Oh, and you don’t need to be up against the wall.
You can walk away.
If that’s the level of your patter, I’m pretty sure you won’t be missed.

Big save and all that.
So gents, what is it?
Sitter!

Big save and all that.
So gents, what is it?

If the keeper makes a save then I suppose it isn't really a sitter since the goalkeeper is specifically there to make saves.

For other chances a sitter for me would really be when a the ball comes to a player and they have plenty of time and space but fail to find the target.

With the Morelos header against Hibs I think the cross didn't really help. It felt like it didn't have much pace and came in from an awkward angle.

Strikers miss sitters in every league, just need to watch Liverpool last night.
The two yesterday were good chances neither were sitters though IMO
A sitter to me is an open goal
The header he missed at Easter Road was the epitome of a sitter for me as the ball was plonked right onto his head when he was unmarked in front of goal.

It was a poor attempt alright, but it was also a textbook sitter.

His two first half efforts yesterday weren’t though.

The first he probably should have done better but it was also a good save by the Dundee keeper. The second was worse and the final attempt pitifully weak, but there were also bodies in the way so it wasn’t a guaranteed goal, IMO.
For me a sitter is if you’re expected to score the chance 9/10 by simply hitting the target. I don’t think just missing a chance is a ‘sitter’ the way we exaggerate it.
If the keeper makes a save then I suppose it isn't really a sitter since the goalkeeper is specifically there to make saves.

For other chances a sitter for me would really be when a the ball comes to a player and they have plenty of time and space but fail to find the target.

With the Morelos header against Hibs I think the cross didn't really help. It felt like it didn't have much pace and came in from an awkward angle.

These are all reasonable takes.

If you don’t like Alfie, every opportunity he misses is a sitter. We all know who these posters are.

Just a couple over the last couple of weeks.

Goldson v Hibs at Hampden - Sitter.

Alfie header v Hibs at Easter Rd - Sitter.

Sakala (1st chance yesterday) should have scored if he goes across the goal. hard to call it a sitter though.

Arfield (yesterday) should have shot instead of passing the buck. Again, still hard to call it a sitter.

Alfie (yesterday on h/t) - Sitter.

BTW, this is not an Alfie bashing exercise. I actually said yesterday I doub't I've ever seen a Rangers centre score the goal he did yesterday.

The OP asked what constitutes a sitter, as per, I oblige. :)

IMO, A sitter is one that should be a clear cut goal ie PR7 at hampden. If the keeper saves it then it’s not a clear cut goal.

For me yesterday Morelos's chance just before the goal was a miss - Sakala's shot just before that was a good save - its all subjective though.

Sakala will defo miss more than he scores

What striker doesn't do that?

The general point @tazzabear is making is one I certainly agree with - that we're too often heavily biased, good or bad, when it comes to judging our players - but I also think that's just how football is.

Frustrates me sometimes, but then I remember that it mostly doesn't matter when it's just fans talking to other fans.

The header at Hibs was a sitter. Perfect ball in, no obstructions, no challenges and half an open goal to aim at with the goalkeeper nowhere near it.

The first one yesterday was frustrating but the goalkeeper is out very quickly and does really well.

The second yesterday is just typical of him, can't connect cleanly with the ball and should have scored.

These are all reasonable takes.

If you don’t like Alfie, every opportunity he misses is a sitter. We all know who these posters are.

Morelos is in that strange place where he's not allowed to have a bad game or make mistakes without some saying it's because of an attitude issue. It happens all the time to players who have that naturally huffy (for want of a better word) demeanour.

In fact, it happens in all walks of life.

This won't change. Football rarely brings logical or rational debate, so that's why evidence is ignored for emotion.

Morelos is in that strange place where he's not allowed to have a bad game or make mistakes without some saying it's because of an attitude issue. It happens all the time to players who have that naturally huffy (for want of a better word) demeanour.

In fact, it happens in all walks of life.

This won't change. Football rarely brings logical or rational debate, so that's why evidence is ignored for emotion.
Spot on

The size of the target area to head/strike at for me makes it a sitter. You would always back the attacker in most circumstances. The keeper has a punchers chance if he throws his hand up or his leg out like Mc Gregor often does but the attacker should be scoring.

It's just one of those overused expressions in football. A sitter to me is when a chance is harder to miss than score yet the player transpires to miss anyway.

Back