This Board’s last chance.

I know Gerrard praised the board for not selling Kent before we won and pretty much all of us wanted the club to keep Morelos when going for 55. Out of interest what bids did Gerrard refuse for star players after winning the title?
None, which is my point.

I was replying to a poster stating Morelos, Kent, Kamara etc should all have been sold after we won 55, but after that summer, I can’t recall many bids.

Rumours at the time were that Gerrard wanted to keep the squad together, which is what happened, but given we were running at a massive loss, then it made any investment impossible, which a lot of people seem to conveniently forget when banging on about investing after 55.

At what point are we allowed to stop saying thank you and demand better? They’re not the right guys in perpetuity because they helped nearly 10 years ago. The club is stale - we badly need new ownership and a new CEO. Other positions are TBC.
It's not going to happen because too maný blindly back them and do so with anyone who puts our club tie on. The fact is they have failed time and again, rearrangè the deckchairs then fail again.

Stop employing foreign managers, sign the best Scottish players, get our youth system working somehow.

We have the highest wage bill, spend a fortune on foreign dross (-alcoholic Mexicans and crocks). and seem to keep doing it again and again.
I never realised Bennet and Bisgrove hired Pedro

If we properly reinvested and build the team, there is no chance Postecoglou would have won the title in his first season. That was an embarassment of a title to lose given where they started off that year. The hoardes wouldn't have tolerated that and he would have been sacked, they wouldn't have CL funds, and the house of cards would have continued to crumble. We'd be on 4 in a row by now and they'd be chasing. It's not out of the realm of possibility that proper investment post-55 could have left them in the dark
What could we properly reinvest mate?

We had director's loans keeping the club going and a loss of £20m to plug. I don't think a lot of fans realise that the financial side of the club is still in recovery mode.

Agreed. There are a lot of fans that think this is Fifa or Football Manager, and you should be getting 8/10 every game. And that's never going to happen.

What I'm looking for is a scouting team that can identify key attributes in certain positions. E.g get a CM that is big, athletic and can win the ball back. He doesn't need to be Pirlo. Then have a CM that is maybe lighter, but can ping passes. Get a right back with pace who puts in a solid tackle on the wing. Most of our successful defenses over the years had a CB who was a brick s**t house i.e. Kygriakos(sic) or Andrews.

The other thing I want to see is a hint of arrogance. Someone who comes to the SPL and goes "I'm going to own you." Someone who is so confident in their own ability they don't shrink in big games.

Assemble a team that is greater than the sum of it's parts. One players weakness will be covered by another's strengths.

Easier said than done, I know. But I refuse to believe that if they can do it, why can't we. The scouting/recruitment team needs to finally step up. I'm praying Nils Koppen has something up his sleeve.
Everything is always easier said than done, but what your suggesting is what we need.

We can't go out and bring in the players of the 9 in a row era, the cost of players like that would start at 50 million. I'll be honest mate, I think what your saying is not just what's needed, it is the only way we can move on.

What is it you want the board to change from what they are doing now? Genuine question.
How about attracting record, transformative levels of financial sponsorship, investment in contingency transfers to obtain key positions . Namely a goalscorer and decent re centre back in January could have helped us win the league,

They sat on their thumbs , no amount of bullshit from clement , about being happy with his lot , will wash . On this point , the volume of disingenuous comments from the manager needs to stop in my opinion, supporters are not blind, we know what we are watching, and being forced to witness.

I think there was acceptance by the board and manager , that summer , will have been the environment for recruitment, think the manager said as much in January.

The corporate leaders and entire football management team , better up their fucking game fast. I’m getting sick of the revisionist dogma , insinuating that progress is on the horizon . It very much is desolate for supporters. It’s on the , players , managers, and board . to redeem themselves .

A Scottish cup win won’t cut it for me, it couldn’t dictate a change in attitude by the club . We must recruit to win the league . We need better than they have, and we must be pro active and reactive to changing scenarios at any given moment .

At what point are we allowed to stop saying thank you and demand better? They’re not the right guys in perpetuity because they helped nearly 10 years ago. The club is stale - we badly need new ownership and a new CEO. Other positions are TBC.
Has Bisgrove not just been in Position for one Year? Give the guy a break.
The board just now is nothing like ten years ago, look up our Board in 2014

Is it just me that genuinely hates posts against the board of any football club that are told if they haven't got the money to buy them out then shut up? Its a fucking Rangers discussion forum, it's for sharing opinions.

Is there investors waiting in the wings ?? otherwise our board will be our board going forward , i'm not sure how they are in " last chance saloon " as the OP has stated/suggested

Reactions: VGM
Stop wasting money. Stop being happy with the status quo. Stop rinsing fans for every penny they can get for not a lot in return. Stop giving us mediocrity and accepting it.

Stop treating the club as a job and treat it as a passion, as a culture and something that makes the fans proud.

Start employing people who can actually do their jobs that enable us to challenge for, and win, titles. And I’m not talking about our first team manager.

Loads and loads of stuff. If your happy with the status quo and think the board are doing a good job in the grand scheme of things, then perhaps your ideas as to what a successful Rangers looks like is skewed.
Do you really think the board are happy with the status quo, happy accepting mediocrity? If that was the case they would not have backed and then sacked Gio and Beale

As for wasting money, well hindsight is a wonderful thing. They were probably as excited as this forum was when Beale was making all of his signings in the summer, they trusted him as did we all. After the signings failed, Beale was sacked and negating your status quo comment. If they spent no money to back the manager then they are penny pinching

I mean for fcuk sakes, 1 month ago we were in pole position to win the league and the players blew it, but now it's the boards fault

If we got a striker in January rather than waste millions on loan signing Silva we could have won this league.
Oh right what millions have we spent on Silva. No millions. At the time it was stated no loan fee and we were cover a small part of his wage in line with our own pay structure. So about £600k in wages in total. So what striker were we buying for that who would have scored more goals than Dessers. Oh and also defended to stop the goals. Seeing as not conceding is important as scoring

Is it just me that genuinely hates posts against the board of any football club that are told if they haven't got the money to buy them out then shut up? Its a fucking Rangers discussion forum, it's for sharing opinions.
Nothing wrong with discussion, and nothing wrong with asking questions of the board (should be doing that even when the club is successful) but lets keep the discussions realistic?

The cash could have come from a proper sustainable business model which involved selling assets at their peak e.g Kent, Morelos, Kamara, Borna, Goldson etc. We had no plan and now this is where we are.
What bids came in for Kent Morelos, Kamara etc that summer? Would Gerrard have accepted selling key members of his squad? The fact he turned down 16 million for Morelos a season or 2 prior makes me think not

What could we properly reinvest mate?

We had director's loans keeping the club going and a loss of £20m to plug. I don't think a lot of fans realise that the financial side of the club is still in recovery mode.
People choose to ignore the investors board bought shares etc to the tune of £80m I believe to fund the club going forward.

How about attracting record, transformative levels of financial sponsorship, investment in contingency transfers to obtain key positions . Namely a goalscorer and decent re centre back in January could have helped us win the league,

They sat on their thumbs , no amount of bullshit from clement , about being happy with his lot , will wash . On this point , the volume of disingenuous comments from the manager needs to stop in my opinion, supporters are not blind, we know what we are watching, and being forced to witness.

I think there was acceptance by the board and manager , that summer , will have been the environment for recruitment, think the manager said as much in January.

The corporate leaders and entire football management team , better up their fucking game fast. I’m getting sick of the revisionist dogma , insinuating that progress is on the horizon . It very much is desolate for supporters. It’s on the , players , managers, and board . to redeem themselves .

A Scottish cup win won’t cut it for me, it couldn’t dictate a change in attitude by the club . We must recruit to win the league . We need better than they have, and we must be pro active and reactive to changing scenarios at any given moment .
As i posted elsewhere when these current investors and board have spent over £80m of theory own money in buying shares to allow us to plug the millions we were losing for years did you come on here and post about that then.

Do you really think the board are happy with the status quo, happy accepting mediocrity? If that was the case they would not have backed and then sacked Gio and Beale

As for wasting money, well hindsight is a wonderful thing. They were probably as excited as this forum was when Beale was making all of his signings in the summer, they trusted him as did we all. After the signings failed, Beale was sacked and negating your status quo comment. If they spent no money to back the manager then they are penny pinching

I mean for fcuk sakes, 1 month ago we were in pole position to win the league and the players blew it, but now it's the boards fault
That's not true about the signings,loads of posters were questioning lammers and dessers signings when we seen their stats.

They don’t need to sell shares just appoint people who actually know what they are doing in key positions like chairman/CEO etc. We need a nasty streak at boardroom level which is sadly lacking.

As for the millions being put in they genuinely wouldn’t need to do that if we were run properly. £82,000,000 in wages over two seasons is absolutely scandalous for what’s being served up on the pitch.
This board and the previous under Park , King are reactive rather proactive.

Stewart Robertson, Park , Ross Wilson etc are long gone which i commend Bennett on.

However , its time to get the club back on a better footing especially with the buying and selling of players.

None, which is my point.

I was replying to a poster stating Morelos, Kent, Kamara etc should all have been sold after we won 55, but after that summer, I can’t recall many bids.

Rumours at the time were that Gerrard wanted to keep the squad together, which is what happened, but given we were running at a massive loss, then it made any investment impossible, which a lot of people seem to conveniently forget when banging on about investing after 55.
Yeah and Club1872 decided to buy shares from Dave King rather from the club. I have no problem with King getting paid for some shares but would have preferred the club to get the money until such time as our finances had balanced out. Too many people associated with fan groups appear to have agendas not necessarily in line with the club.

I fought against Murray for a decade and we failed, utterly, on every conceivable level. The experience taught me a harsh lesson: the only thing that makes a difference is money.

The board also own a great deal of the club. So to change the board, you need millions of pounds.

It’s why fan complaints never lead to change. Not just us, look at Celtic fans complaining about Desmond/Lawell, Man Utd about the Glazers.

You also need to (realistically) get a supporter willing to write off those millions. At Rangers we expect people to invest and not take anything out (ie profit). Normal investors aren’t interested in doing that. So obviously the worry is you get someone who doesn’t care about the club and takes out a profit regardless of how the club is performing.

Short of someone with the kind of money that can make a difference showing up, changing the board is changing the owners and I don’t see how it’s possible.

There has to be a realisation of our financial position but that does not simply mean adopting a head in the sand ‘everything will be fine soon ‘ type of attitude nor indeed the ‘sack the board’ approach.

Our finances make it even more crucial that we get recruitment and player trading right.
The manager’s comments show that he obviously wants to make the necessary changes (along with a better pre season training/conditioning regime) with this urgently to give us the best possible chance of success.

The board need to own the recent recruitment failures and progress the necessary structure and approach to remedy this.

If we got a striker in January rather than waste millions on loan signing Silva we could have won this league.
Silva is a striker. Whether or not he is a good one is a different argument. Also, strikers didn’t lose us the league. A chronically bad, slow and injured midfield who contributed hardly any goals or assists, rarely controlled a game and a core group of players who constantly go into their shells cost us a hell of a lot more

Who would you bring in?

That’s the unfortunate thing. We have no other options and no leverage as a support any longer.

All are good men and have put much needed sums into the club and we must be grateful for that but their scorecard for “football operations” is extremely poor and we’ve regressed at an alarming rate through bad decisions.

Oh right what millions have we spent on Silva. No millions. At the time it was stated no loan fee and we were cover a small part of his wage in line with our own pay structure. So about £600k in wages in total. So what striker were we buying for that who would have scored more goals than Dessers. Oh and also defended to stop the goals. Seeing as not conceding is important as scoring
Sorry mate but Celtic got on loan the striker from Norwich who scored 8 goals.

Did Dessers not get something like 18 goals since January? We wouldn’t have got a striker with a better goal return than him. And a new striker wouldn’t have stopped our players bottling it and conspiring in ever more ridiculous ways to concede goals.

Did Dessers not get something like 18 goals since January? We wouldn’t have got a striker with a better goal return than him. And a new striker wouldn’t have stopped our players bottling it and conspiring in ever more ridiculous ways to concede goals.
He did well with his goals tally in the end but if this makes sense my issue is he didn’t score the right goals at the right time. In the big moments that really counted. Can think of Beggars game away and Ross C away for example.

Dessers is a real enigma, took a lot of flack and still came back for more.
Any other striker scoring the goals he has since January would be praised, I still think he could have scored 40 lol

The Manager and players should face the consequences, not the Board.
So no shade on them for hiring Beale, Pedro etc?

At what point does our complete lack of direction and long term strategy become their responsibility?

Day to day, sporting performance is the football side, fair enough. But we are going backwards at an alarming rate because the people in ultimate control have no idea what they are doing in any areas other than commercial.

No it’s not the boards fault but to be fair, the did bow to pressure with Gio and then went with Beale after he snaked Gio and then bowed to pressure again and binned Beale.

It’s a litany of mistakes from the board ever since they decided not to give Gerrard a wee bit of extra money to push on after winning the league, which now seems so long ago now.

Thats on the board, not pushing on.

Now they’ve got a chance to rebuild, to build the bridges we need to actually mount a real challenge and not just get close but to overtake.

That’s on them to do that.

Back Clement properly and stop this regression, because that’s what it is in the cold light of day, regression. Getting close isn’t enough.

He did well with his goals tally in the end but if this makes sense my issue is he didn’t score the right goals at the right time. In the big moments that really counted. Can think of Beggars game away and Ross C away for example.
Two in a Cup semi-final is not bad, did he not score one in Spain as well?

So no shade on them for hiring Beale, Pedro etc?

At what point does our complete lack of direction and long term strategy become their responsibility?

Day to day, sporting performance is the football side, fair enough. But we are going backwards at an alarming rate because the people in ultimate control have no idea what they are doing in any areas other than commercial.
This board never hired Pedro, personally speaking I think we should have kept Gio, European Final, and Scottish Cup with the injuries we had was a phenomenal achievement.
I think the fans helped chase Gio out and shame on them.

No it’s not the boards fault but to be fair, the did bow to pressure with Gio and then went with Beale after he snaked Gio and then bowed to pressure again and binned Beale.

It’s a litany of mistakes from the board ever since they decided not to give Gerrard a wee bit of extra money to push on after winning the league, which now seems so long ago now.

Thats on the board, not pushing on.

Now they’ve got a chance to rebuild, to build the bridges we need to actually mount a real challenge and not just get close but to overtake.

That’s on them to do that.

Back Clement properly and stop this regression, because that’s what it is in the cold light of day, regression. Getting close isn’t enough.
Last summer making all the exec changes in one go with a new manager was always a recipe for disaster.

Can’t change everything in one go and expect success. Putting a rookie manager in charge of transfer business with no support was totally reckless and unforgivable.

Same people calling the shots this year. We will see what happens. Make no mistake Clement and Koppen have a huge say but the buck stops with Bennet and Bisgrove.

If we are no closer by Xmas we will have the same pressure on Clement as last two years.

Sometime we have to waken to the fact it is more than the manager that is wrong.

Agreed. I just feel the penny is finally dropping with a larger segment.

We’ve been going nowhere at an alarmingly fast rate.
But Bisgrove has got us some sponsors nobody has ever heard of... I'm tired of this Board now who are all full of bluster and no action

Last summer making all the exec changes in one go with a new manager was always a recipe for disaster.

Can’t change everything in one go and expect success. Putting a rookie manager in charge of transfer business with no support was totally reckless and unforgivable.

Same people calling the shots this year. We will see what happens. Make no mistake Clement and Koppen have a huge say but the buck stops with Bennet and Bisgrove.

If we are no closer by Xmas we will have the same pressure on Clement as last two years.

Sometime we have to waken to the fact it is more than the manager that is wrong.
I think you are right, Bennett and Bisgrove should never play for us again

I dont know how much you are looking to plough in op but it would need to be significant in order to have a real chance of getting a hold of the CL dosh .
Could you tell us what is your hope for the structure of the team going forward and your plans to fund such a project ?
Thankyou .

But Bisgrove has got us some sponsors nobody has ever heard of... I'm tired of this Board now who are all full of bluster and no action
The main players on this board have been in place for 1 year, 1.

They have sacked the manager, employed an experienced proven winner, then hired a new DoF with a decent CV for spotting talent.

I’d say they have acted, but obviously far more needs to be done.

I’m finding it hard to be overly critical of this board to be honest. Yes, they fell for Beale’s act, but so did most of you on here. You were jubilant on the whole to hear that “the brains behind Gerrard” was returning, he was swamped for selfies when he made his impromptu appearance in Oswalds. Some of us were skeptical.

Wasn't long ago we had a good few mental heads on here wanting the board replaced with that American bint even though she didn't have a pot to piss in but it was all about getting rid of DP of course.Without these guys money we would be in a really bad spot.They have made some bad decisions but what Rangers board didn't from the past.David Murray almost destroyed us.

Back