This is the telling quote for me:

Scratcho1973

Our Manager:

“I don't speak about favourites. I didn't do it a few weeks ago, I won't do it now. If we win all the games, we still have our fate in our hands.”

Mathematically, he is correct. But it requires 15 points and a massive goal difference swing (no laughing at the back). B-)

That said, whatever happened to his mantra of one game at a time? He’s consistently refused to look beyond the next game since he came in but yet, now, the writing is on the wall and he knows the pressure is on; he’s clutching at the same straws as the supporters.

It tells me, deep down, PC knows the title race is over.

Wonder what he’ll say when we drop points against St Mirren?

Come on PC wisen up and stop giving the media and that mob more ammunition to spin and laugh about.

Our Manager:

“I don't speak about favourites. I didn't do it a few weeks ago, I won't do it now. If we win all the games, we still have our fate in our hands.”

Mathematically, he is correct. But it requires 15 points and a massive goal difference swing (no laughing at the back). B-)

That said, whatever happened to his mantra of one game at a time? He’s consistently refused to look beyond the next game since he came in but yet, now, the writing is on the wall and he knows the pressure is on; he’s clutching at the same straws as the supporters.

Come on PC wisen up and stop giving the media and that mob more ammunition to spin and laugh about.

5 goals behind them with 5 games to play is far from a massive goal difference fs.

Last edited:
Our Manager:

What would you advise him to say then?

I seriously doubt we'll win all our remaining games.

But just for argument's sake, if we can better Celtic's goal difference in the four remaining fixtures other than the Old Firm by four goals, then we'll win the title.

They are currently five goals better off than us. If we win at the Piggery even by a solitary goal, then that goal difference is cut to three.

So if they win one of their games 2-0 but we win 3-0, that cuts it to two. And so on.

Worst thing is if they go and pump someone 5-0. We'd have to match it to stay in contention.

We know we must win all remaining fixtures. In my view, goal difference won't come into it. If we lift this title then I think it's because Killie or Hearts will have taken points off them.

While it is still mathematically possible to win the league he has to be positive'
Imagine the uproar if he said that's it over

But just for argument's sake, if we can better Celtic's goal difference in the four remaining fixtures other than the Old Firm by four goals, then we'll win the title.

They are currently five goals better off than us. If we win at the Piggery even by a solitary goal, then that goal difference is cut to three.

So if they win one of their games 2-0 but we win 3-0, that cuts it to two. And so on.

Worst thing is if they go and pump someone 5-0. We'd have to match it to stay in contention.

We know we must win all remaining fixtures. In my view, goal difference won't come into it. If we lift this title then I think it's because Killie or Hearts will have taken points off them.
Don’t do that to yourself mate. Not worth it

The team has lost any attacking process it had.

We have no way of playing. The players look shot of any desire or real hunger to do anything about it. That spark that dragged us back into this title race has left us. We are a passionate lot, there is no doubt in my mind that injuries have taken their toll as part of the problem. Players overused and others only trying to get up to speed at the wrong time of the season.

What worries me more is a solid back 4 looks to have lost the ability to defend overnight. Our main midfielder who had bossed every game since the gaffer came in looks like he no longer wants to be there. Our CF who misses too many chances is still leading the line but we are struggling to create the same number of clear cut chances.

The Manager's opinions are built around seeing all these guys on the training pitch so therefore it is more informed opinion than what we have. He just however, review the games and see what is best for the team. How uncomfortable is Sterling at Left Back? Constantly having to try and check inside. He does however have the drive and energy we are badly lacking in the middle of the park which is where he should be. From the outside, if it were me, I would be promoting Robbie Fraser to play the next couple of games at LB and have Sterling replace Lundstram in midfield. Fraser is 21 years old, not 16. It's his natural position and we should be prioritising the spine of the team which for me means Sterling playing in there.

It's far from impossible to win our remaining 5 games but the team is showing nothing to give us any confidence that they will. Something has to change to change that.

He can't come out and slaughter the players,we know who the main culprits are and so will he,we will see in the summer who will be told their time is up and will be replaced and I'd bet its a lengthy list, we have been let down but so has our Manager.

You have cherry picked parts of his interview. He said he wouldn’t talk about who are favourites(consistent) and then he spoke about winning each game(also consistent).

There’s enough to be annoyed about at the moment without manufacturing some faux grievance towards the manager

Our Manager:

No, I want him to be consistent and say what he has always said regarding the next game.
For context, what was the question asked?

We were in a position to be able to go to the piggery and lose, then we could afford a draw and now we are in a position of clutching at straws that we might somehow end up doing it on GD.

We have well and truely fucked it

I don't believe anybody seriously expects Clement to castigate a team he needs to perform nor do I think he is expected to capitulate but he does need to protect his own and the clubs credibility, so his statements should be tempered with a dose of realism, perhaps acknowledging that we were under par and have made it extremely difficult for ourselves rather than the gilding of the lily that he attempted last night.

Our Manager:

Not really a massive GD swing needed if we're beating celtic it's a max of 3.

I think you're right, the only way we win this league is them dropping points to Hearts or Killie and us beating them at Parkhead. Oh yeah, and us not dropping any more points elsewhere. I don't see that happening at all, but we certainly don't have the goals in our squad for a shoot-out.

Our Manager:

I mean, he's right.

It wasn't that long ago we turned around a 5 point deficit going into the split.

Whether this lot have that in them is the thing that's up for debate.

Trying his very best to get one last push out of the squad.

History tells us what happens from here. I'm sure he'll be well aware of the problem when our season most likely goes up in smoke again.

Our Manager:

it was over when we failed to beat them at Ibrox.

Mathematically the title race isn’t over … it’s to play for … it’s the recent performances that suggest that’s it’s over ..
This in a nutshell. Back in October, we'd probably have bitten your hand off to be 3 points behind, 5 games to play, including 1 against them but, recent performances has severely dashed any hopes of winning this league.

It’s not but it has highlighted how wasteful we’ve been in front of goal

Ross county at home for example, was it 24 shots on target, 43 shots in total. 2 goals?

We needed 94 goal attempts for 5 goals in the 4 games before last night.

Misfiring cannot continue.

Address this over the last 7 games, it's easily doable.

Start burying 3 a game, we win it all.

If we had a team with some fight in them there'd be a chance, though a diminishing one. Can anyone see this lot win every game and overturn the goal difference?

Its all about the way its happened. If we were 8 points behind them a month ago and now 3 behind with 5 games to play we would not be feeling it was all over. we would think we have a right chance.
The fact is we were in front a few weeks ago and collapsed, we have lost all momentum and they have gained it. We look lost for confidence and they look to have found some. Its a bad time of the season for this to happen.

I thought his post match comments last night were strange at best. And very alarming at worst.

And yes, I get the thing about protecting the players etc. But there's a fine line between that and taking the piss out the support. We all have eyes.

I think alot of fans need to realise Clement has no choice but to rely on this lot until the summer

It is not a good look to players he is looking to bring in if he is known to publicly flog the players either.

We might not like it, and we might want him to , but he just can't.

Back