Thought Greg Stewart played well in his 25 minutes today - both threatened and aided our chance creation

ChildOfGoth

Tbh I do favour GS but today’s fixture was a sort that suited his talents , home fixture where opponents are stifling space and we are dominant in possession ( sorry bbc stats man ) .

Had a nice mix of attempts , dribbles, spins , linkups and chance creation .

A good card to have going into the 2020 SPL programme of home games I’d imagine he will see his chances rise.

Last edited:
Tbh I do favour GS but today’s fixture was a sort that suited his talents , home fixture where opponents are stifling space and we are dominant in possession ( sorry bbc stats man ) .

A good card to have going into the 2020 SPL programme of home games I’d imagine he will see his chances rise.
I thought our midfield were gladys knight today. Exception of Jack.

The only gripe I have about his performance today was he did not shoot near the end when he was on his left foot at the edge of the box and decided to try and play someone in. Can’t remember who

The only gripe I have about his performance today was he did not shoot near the end when he was on his left foot at the edge of the box and decided to try and play someone in. Can’t remember who

Think there was a few instances like that mate. Especially at home players sometimes look like they afraid to shoot and go for that 1 pass too many. Can be frustrating but glad we got the 3 points which matter.

Always contributed well. He has been unlucky not to get a few more goals.

What annoyed me is that he was only brought on today as a last roll of the dice and I don't know why Gerrard hasn't used him more before now. Vs Aberdeen we brought Ojo on which was the weirdest sub ever.

He’ll have a huge part to play in the rump of home games after the break, as will Jones in the away games. Two great fresh weapons to have.

He played well when he came on. He’s a good option to have to help unlock defences in games like yesterday where the opposition are sitting so deep.

Feel for him, other than 1 poor cup game where the whole team was muck he has played really well and probably deserves more game time imo. But certainly a good option to have in games like yesterday

I really like him and yesterday was tailor-made for his style of play. No surprise he looked really good when he came on. Was no need for Arfield, Kamara and Jack all playing. Too flat and slow. Stewart adds that incisiveness we badly need in games V hammer throwers.

Stewart is a far better option than Ojo and Barker. It’s actually embarrassing thinking that Gerrard chucks Barker into a old firm final then won’t play him again for months.

Stewart is the number one sub option in the wide positions. Fûcking use him properly Gerrard ffs.

Should have started IMO was no need to play kamara yesterday and have 2 sitting midfielders against a team who sit 10 men behind the ball

Yup, I wouldve had him on at half time yesterday, a game 'made' for him.

Always contributes.

He’ll have a huge part to play in the rump of home games after the break, as will Jones in the away games. Two great fresh weapons to have.

I'd like to think so but it is fair to say he has not received the time so far that his good performances should have earned. In each game where has been brought on relatively early (before 70 mins) he has has a positive impact on our play but SG has shown a reluctance to make Greg a go to sub.

He won a few flick ons from goal kicks and punts up the park as well.

Even that was more of a contribution than what we normally get from Ojo.

Baffling that he wasn’t used against the Sheep and that Barker was ahead of him in the queue against Them.

Of all the fringe players, he has not put a foot wrong when used, and it’s quite clear to see that he has the potential to be far more than a fringe player.

Even from the start mate.
We maybe didn’t buy him for European type games but it’s games against Kilmarnock and the likes, is were we should be utilising him more.

Aye no argument there. I said when we signed him that these games were the reason we signed him. He hasnt let us down so far and can count himself unlucky not to have played more. That said, I think 'momentum' has played a big part in team selection lately. Very difficult to leave anyone out, given the way we are playing.

I really like him and yesterday was tailor-made for his style of play. No surprise he looked really good when he came on. Was no need for Arfield, Kamara and Jack all playing. Too flat and slow. Stewart adds that incisiveness we badly need in games V hammer throwers.
Too flat maybe and I get the incisiveness point. But if your concern is pace then one thing Stewart certainly isn’t giving you is pace. If he was a yard or two quicker of pace and a bit quicker of thought then he would be a top player. I confess that I am less convinced by Stewart than most others are. I readily acknowledge that he looks good on occasions when he comes on, mostly when the game is already won and we are dominating possession. But in a tight, competitive game Stewart is not the guy I am clamouring to see come on as a difference maker.

I am fine with Stewart as a squad player. I am just not as high on him as many others are.

Games where defences are packed are ideal for GS skill and he can pick a pass. He offers more in those kind of games than the pacey wide men as there is no space for them to use their pace.
Specially as Kent seems to have been told to head inside and look for traffic to run into.
We remain guilty of over-complicating things.

He won a few flick ons from goal kicks and punts up the park as well.

Even that was more of a contribution than what we normally get from Ojo.
I think its safe to say Ojo is completely out of the picture now and rightly so, no offence to the lad but he just isn't good enough for us, its a shame because he started so well and looked like a machine

Specially as Kent seems to have been told to head inside and look for traffic to run into.
We remain guilty of over-complicating things.

Absolutely, over complication was 100% the issue yesterday and Kent was no doubt the guiltiest party, Aribo also. Always seem to want to beat an extra man instead of pulling the trigger, or running away from trouble.

I think the Kent centrally thing works in games that are more stretched but he was never going to get one on ones against that kili side in central areas. We should have been overloading their full backs to cause real damage on the wings. If teams show us the wings, we need to be willing to go round them and have bodies in the box to convert crosses / cut backs.

I think he's looked good every game he has come on. I think he is just a good player. I'd like to see a bit more of him getting some time on the pitch - think he could be very useful for us.

I think Greg’s problem is his lack of athleticism. He is nowhere near as quick as our other options in that area of the park which means he can’t effect a press nearly as well. Gerrard will be looking at his statistics in training perpetuating that view.

I think he’s underused though, he does have guile and can finish. When we have the ball but can’t break a defence, he’s the man. That’s why he should have been the first sub before barker in the LCF.

Greg Stewart is an intelligent footballer. His link up play is good. The problem I have with Stewart is that he’s the type of guy that has to be playing regular to build relationships with the players around about him. The 1-2’s will work if we are doing them every week on the park but getting a bit of action here and there isn’t suited to a player like him.

The sort of player who will create something in tight spaces and was ideally suited for this game today. Going forward he should probably start in these sort of fixtures.

Unlike many of our lot he doesn't want extra pass, or dribble past 4 players....he is direct and that makes difference against packed defence.

morelos should have passed to him, and i wonder if the gaffer thinks the same after the comment he made about the lead could have been bigger if some players made different choices
Probably talking about morelos trying to take it round the keeper instead of shooting like he usually does

Back