Time To Play Katić & McAuley Together

Heard a few weeks ago that Katic had a go at Gerrard after being hooked against Livingston. Gerrard allegedly told him he’ll never wear a Rangers jersey again. Just a rumour so took it with a pinch of salt at the time. Might be something in it though looking at the situation now. We’ll see in January.
Heard a few weeks ago but just mentioning now?
I wonder how nobody else has heard this.
Of course, you might be right but my money would be on you or your source being at it.

Heard a few weeks ago that Katic had a go at Gerrard after being hooked against Livingston. Gerrard allegedly told him he’ll never wear a Rangers jersey again. Just a rumour so took it with a pinch of salt at the time. Might be something in it though looking at the situation now. We’ll see in January.
Absolute nonsense.

Goldson and McAuley were doing fine together before it was inexplicably changed again yesterday. It should be they two and stick with it.

Lets hope its another lesson learned by the manager in his first season,continuity is a must with a back four,barring injuries and suspensions.

The defensive problems all started when Gerrard tried to accommodate Worrall who lets face it is woeful and I can see why he's 5th choice at his parent Club. I can't understand why Gerrard constantly changes the defence it clearly has an affect on us.

Time for Katic to be brought back imo.

Heard from who? :rolleyes:

He was on the bench yesterday, started in Moscow & also has been playing for the reserves. So I’m calling bullshit on this one.

In the rush to condemn Worrall - who deserves criticism for yesterday without question - folks seem to be overlooking the fact Goldson has been poor for weeks now, and was even poorer than Worrall yesterday quite honestly, and that Katic has been poor in his last few appearances also.

I think that since he came in McAuley has done enough to retain his place - but can he play 3 games a week after having barely played in more than a year? The truth is we have seen nothing from the other 3 to suggest any of them are on top of their form.

Gerrard said recently when asked if Ejaria had been dropped because of poor timekeeping that he wouldn’t have been on the bench if that was true, so it stands to reason that Katić wouldn’t have been on the bench yesterday if the above was true, so I’ll file this under bulllshit.

Plus, everything I’ve heard says Katić’s attitude is impeccable.

This might stem from a discussion on Twitter between a well known fan and others,he said Katic had asked for a transfer a couple of months ago,be it due to being home sick or being dropped who knows,but the guy was adamant he wanted away?

The difference of opinion on this thread alone shows you that there is not much between any of our centre backs.

I'm content with them all.

I have no inside info at all.

But this is pish.

The difference of opinion on this thread alone shows you that there is not much between any of our centre backs.

I'm content with them all.

I wouldn’t say I was ‘content’ with them all - but I think you are correct that there isn’t much between them. Goldson gets an easy ride due to early season form but has been poor recently. Katic is similar but, obviously to a lesser extent given his lack of recent appearances. When he has played more recently he has been poor as well. Worrall is as good (or as bad if you prefer) as either in my opinion but is the whipping boy because he’s on loan and has said he ultimately wants to return to his parent club. Shock horror! McAuley, and I will admit I wasn’t too keen on signing him, has looked the most dependable in his few appearances. Early days yet but my biggest concern with him would be whether he is up to 3 games a week. I can see why Gerrard is so undecided on them.

McAuley was the worst CB versus the sheep

return to the start of the season pairing of Katic and Goldson - they complimented each other
either of the other two usually results in the best CB (Goldson) having to switch sides

This might stem from a discussion on Twitter between a well known fan and others,he said Katic had asked for a transfer a couple of months ago,be it due to being home sick or being dropped who knows,but the guy was adamant he wanted away?
So Katic asked for a transfer despite the window being closed?

Last edited:
I would only play McAuley if Worral, Katic or Goldson are injured. His lack of pace and fitness nearly got us caught out a few times against Aberdeen. I think Goldson and Jack feel they need to sit even deeper because of McAuleys lack of pace.

I wouldn’t say I was ‘content’ with them all - but I think you are correct that there isn’t much between them. Goldson gets an easy ride due to early season form but has been poor recently. Katic is similar but, obviously to a lesser extent given his lack of recent appearances. When he has played more recently he has been poor as well. Worrall is as good (or as bad if you prefer) as either in my opinion but is the whipping boy because he’s on loan and has said he ultimately wants to return to his parent club. Shock horror! McAuley, and I will admit I wasn’t too keen on signing him, has looked the most dependable in his few appearances. Early days yet but my biggest concern with him would be whether he is up to 3 games a week. I can see why Gerrard is so undecided on them.
McAuley can't play 3 games a week.

He'll rarely play twice a week.

Our defence is fine.

Our current campaign is bang on - as per the league and Europa table.

Worrall was shocking yesterday and Goldson had another bad day at the office, why he let that ball drop in our area for Miller to score I’ll never know.

Goldson isn’t a bad player but he has lost form.

McAuley can't play 3 games a week.

He'll rarely play twice a week.

Our defence is fine.

Our current campaign is bang on.

I agree on McAuley. I disagree our defence is ‘fine’ and that our campaign is ‘bang on’. 5 points dropped in 5 days - and the manner in which we conceded in each of those games - is a clear indication of that. It is the stuff of nightmares.

We can recover - but we always knew December would be a pivotal month. Any more f*ck-ups and the second half of the season is a bogey. Again!

I agree on McAuley. I disagree our defence is ‘fine’ and that our campaign is ‘bang on’. 5 points dropped in 5 days - and the manner in which we conceded in each of those games - is a clear indication of that. It is the stuff of nightmares.

We can recover - but we always knew December would be a pivotal month. Any more f*ck-ups and the second half of the season is a bogey. Again!
If someone told you at the start of the season, that we would have already exceeded our European goal. And that we would be 2 points off them in the league, you'd have been more than content.

We are on track.

I actually think we are slightly ahead of plan.

If someone told you at the start of the season, that we would have already exceeded our European goal. And that we would be 2 points off them in the league, you'd have been more than content.

We are on track.

I actually think we are slightly ahead of plan.

Two points off the Dhims - who have a game in hand. It’s not great.

We’ve done better than expected in Europe and that has been a welcome boost, both psychologically and financially. In terms of the league we’ve been up and down and, assuming the Dhims win their game in hand, we are largely where I expected to be. I’d hoped for better. We’ve had some excellent performances peppered with the same disastrous errors in defence and lack of creativity we’ve seen all too often in recent years. As I said, we can recover - but we need to see more of the ‘good’ and less of the ‘mediocre’.

Nah. I wouldn't

Goldson's distribution is hit and miss but it is an option and gives teams something else to think about.

Two points off the Dhims - who have a game in hand. It’s not great.

We’ve done better than expected in Europe and that has been a welcome boost, both psychologically and financially. In terms of the league we’ve been up and down and, assuming the Dhims win their game in hand, we are largely where I expected to be. I’d hoped for better. We’ve had some excellent performances peppered with the same disastrous errors in defence and lack of creativity we’ve seen all too often in recent years. As I said, we can recover - but we need to see more of the ‘good’ and less of the ‘mediocre’.
You would have taken our current league standing.

As would 99% of folk.

Clearly, we are on track.

And clearly, we will lose more games.

Worrall is far too slow - he'll be fine agianst teams with a big center forward that will try to physically bully them but anyone with a turn of pace and we'll get badly exposed.

Katic has the balls to press forward into that massive hole in midfield that we had against Aberdeen, Goldson and McAuley just passed sideways. If we play Katic, I think our attacks can start quicker.

Katic has pace though he's still learning. I would love to see a Katic with McAuley (or maybe Goldson) pairing for Thursday and Sunday. Frankly whatever pairing we pick now needs to be the pairing for the rest of December.

Katic and Goldson for me for at least til the new year to get them back to start of season form

Our defence looked stronger when those two were the partnership in the heart of defence.

Once SG started to chop and change the partnership, it has looked very weak at times.

I think we really need to go back to goldson and katic.

We can’t afford more experimenting
I completely agree with this. We need to go back to what was our only solid pairing. Not only that, the very idea that Worrall is getting games ahead of Katic is beyond me. Sure, Katic had a couple of wobbly moments when he was given a go recently but he was nowhere near as bad as Worrall has been and he's out player. We know he's good and we know he's more than capable of doing the job.

Gerrard needs to stop fucking about with the defence.

said in the worral thread imagine all that hard work he done to get us in europa groups then dropped the first game for this donkey biggest kick in the baws ever

don't think Katic helped himself when he took off his top and threw it into the dugout at Hamilton also he was making lots of mistakes but its time to try him again

Has the defence even improved on last season? Other than the keeper I would suggest not goldson is overated on here big time we have played 30 games in all competitions this season and only kept 9 clean sheets.

Our defence looked stronger when those two were the partnership in the heart of defence.

Once SG started to chop and change the partnership, it has looked very weak at times.
Totally agree mate, prior to Worrall taking Katic’s place, Katic and Goldson looked as good a pairing as we have had since boogie/weir

I’m mystified as to why Katić isn’t playing.
The argument that it’s in his best interests to aid his development simply doesn’t wash.

He was our best CB and played in every European qualifier before he was binned.
He’s not looked the same player when he’s been brought back into the side, admittedly – but he should never have been dropped in the first place.

Worrall is far from assured, and Goldson is going through a really poor spell but seems bomb proof.

Another huge loss is the goal threat Katić provides. None of the other three CBs look like scoring from set-pieces as much as Katić did.

On current form, I’d be playing McAuley and Katić together.
Goldson needs benched for a spell and Worrall should currently be fourth choice.
Worth a shot, the experience of McCauley could work well for the big man :)

Once he's tried all the combinations isn't it about time Gerrard tried pairing each of them with Ross McCrorie?

Once he's done that it'll confirm what pretty much everyone knows. The two best CBs at the club are Goldson and Katic and not playing them together is costing us.

Macauley has been far from convincing
And age is not his friend

I’d have him as back up with his experience being beneficial to the team

Goldson is our best defender and it’s no coincidence that when his side is switched to accommodate Worrall, his form suffers

Worrall was poor to start, came onto form but has been awful for weeks

Katic started brilliant and had a couple of bad shows - same as all the others - due another chance for a few games now, not in and out again

I'm not really sure who our best centre half pairing is, and I don't think our gaffer knows either!

Once he's tried all the combinations isn't it about time Gerrard tried pairing each of them with Ross McCrorie?

Once he's done that it'll confirm what pretty much everyone knows. The two best CBs at the club are Goldson and Katic and not playing them together is costing us.
I think it would certainly be worth a try to pair McCrorie with Goldson.

McAuley is too slow mate.

We actually may need another centre back but Goldson and Katic looked good for a spell.

Katic was rotten last couple of games he played but I've hopes for him. Goldson is decent half the time but a couple of errors cost us points.

Worrall is perhaps the most clumsy of the lot at times yet looks ok too at times.

Is Halket worth another look?

I’m mystified as to why Katić isn’t playing.
The argument that it’s in his best interests to aid his development simply doesn’t wash.

He was our best CB and played in every European qualifier before he was binned.
He’s not looked the same player when he’s been brought back into the side, admittedly – but he should never have been dropped in the first place.

Worrall is far from assured, and Goldson is going through a really poor spell but seems bomb proof.

Another huge loss is the goal threat Katić provides. None of the other three CBs look like scoring from set-pieces as much as Katić did.

On current form, I’d be playing McAuley and Katić together.
Goldson needs benched for a spell and Worrall should currently be fourth choice.
A few mistakes apart goldson has been good and he won’t be dropped simple as that he’s our main c.b.
Katic long term defiantly he was poor against Hamilton but feel it will only be a matter of time before he’s back in

Back