To those that keep posting, "We need a clear out" !

I think it's more about not holding out for the money we once hoped we'd get for these types of players, taking what we can get (if anything) and reinvesting. Of course not every player will have an option to go to or be able to get the same money and that's a constraint. It's more important we root out the mentality than we get the value we once hoped. Sad as it is.
Agree, the challenge will be getting teams to pay the in-contract player's wages.

Hopefully they'll lower their expectations if told they want be featuring.

Agree, the challenge will be getting teams to pay the in-contract player's wages.

Hopefully they'll lower their expectations if told they want be featuring.

I don't know the world of football finance well enough but if there are options for us to give players a lump sum to soften the blow, it might still be a better option to get them out than just accept they won't leave. Getting a new squad mentality is imperative.

Silva, Sima returning to their parent clubs - I very much doubt we have the money to buy Sima. Cortés - I'm not sure is worth buying at this stage. Possibly another loan?

McLaughlin, Balogun, Barišić, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe all out of contract. Not one of them should be given a new deal.

We need to find buyers for: Davies, Dessers, Lammers, Dowell, Raskin, Hagi, Lawrence. I don't think we'll manage to offload Tavernier or Goldson. Wright and Matondo will hang about like a bad smell for another season.

5m each for Tav and Goldson
2m each for Hagi and Davies
3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.
Think you are being optomistic mateTav and Goldson are 32 and 31 I dont think we have had an offer for either during their time here.

Agree with a vast amount of comments of who should be shown the door but a few of our so called better players are getting off lightly. Todd Cantwell has been poor but never gets a mention.

If I post this in a different week I get the same amount of replies laughing because it’s too low :D

You better hope we can get that as what we owe those players in wages matches and exceeds those valuations in many of their cases
Haha first point is very true.

But for starters absolutely no cùnt is paying anywhere near 5m for each of Tav and Goldson.

I suspect Goldson couldn't even find a club when his previous contract expired which is why he signed a new one with us.

Lammers is never going for 4m either

Nobody will be paying that kind of fee for matondo.

The only club that seems to have shown a credible interest in Wright is that Turkish bin juice mob who play in a stadium holding about 300.

Tom Lawrence will never fetch 1m either IMO.

We’ve paid 3.3m in the past, he’s won three trophies and a European Finalist. He’s owed at minimum 3m in wages for the rest of his time here. Why did we bother getting a DOF in if we can’t shift a player like that for 5m at least? Celtic seem to do it no problem at all.
He was 25/26 when we bought him entering his peak.

He has had surgery in the last 18 months on an injury.

People want him punted cause he looks past it/pish and you think we're making a profit.

Also, your logic is that we signed him and he done well so we should be getting a profit and then you also think we're getting a profit on Lammers.

Wishful thinking is being kind.

Lammers is playing well on his loan so surely we can get £2.5 - £3m.

Tav or Goldson are not going anywhere so it’s a pointless debate saying how much we could get.

The OOC players need to go which will free up £4-5m based on estimates.

I would be looking to sell Lawrence & Davies, but don’t think we would get much, maybe £3-4m combined at best.

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
Diomande is just coming in so he's exempt. I'd keep Ridvan if he can sort out his fitness issues. Beyond that, anyone can go for as far as I'm concerned. Get decent money for Butland. Should get our money back on Lammers now. Take what we can get for the others, many of whom are on grossly inflated salaries. Lundstram, Jack, Roofe and Borna will also free up a fair amount from the wage bill. There won't be much to spend on transfer fees, but if we can make good use of the Bosman market, then moving out some of our top earners should allow us to put attractive financial packages on the table. Clearly there won't be a complete overhaul in one window, but the squad needs major surgery and some long standing issues need to be addressed.

Totally agree and we also need
All those who post this fail to realise you need a club to want your player, you need your player to want to leave and they won't be taking pay cuts to leave.

No C8nt wanted Goldson when he was a free transfer for the wage he wanted, they certainly aren't taking him now.

At least we have a lot of boys out of contrac

We do need a clear out, gaining champions league money would have accelerated that.

Like it or not I suspect there just won't be the money for as radical a change as I, and many would like. Add to this the likes of Goldson and Ben Davies to name but two, who are are paid way above there ability and will be difficult to move on, fee or not.

Going to have to need more than a few miracles worked in summer for us to be competitive next season.
Totally agree
The champs league money would have allowed us to revamp the squad
And even then it would need to have be done in phases
Last summers transfer window showed quantity over quality did not work
I have a real fear that our budget will be minimal and we need to sell to buy
We already have a commitment to buy diamonde - I nam happy with this as I think he is the type of signing we should be targetting
So that’s a reduction in our summer budget
I would love to sign sima and Cortes but reckon that’s £8-10m as an outlay and not sure we would have that available to spend this summer
As other have said we probably know who we would like to move on but we need someone else to want them
Ben Davies being an obvious one he doesn’t look like he has a future must have some sell on value but we need interest and as you say I think wages are a barrier to potential clubs a

Another problem is Celtic winning the league
It gives them a significant cash boost and opportunity to spend and extend the gap in playing staff quality between us and them
With the civil case looking like it might be concluded I expect that some of the cash they have stockpiled could become available if not all required for a settlement

I really hope the board have prepared for this and would love to think a possible funding option is waiting

Losing the league this year could be a real crossroads and I have a real fear we could be struggling to properly compete with them for a period of time -
Unless our scouts can work miracles - which is a huge ask as all clubs are trying to find these players

He was 25/26 when we bought him entering his peak.

He has had surgery in the last 18 months on an injury.

People want him punted cause he looks past it/pish and you think we're making a profit.

Also, your logic is that we signed him and he done well so we should be getting a profit and then you also think we're getting a profit on Lammers.

Wishful thinking is being kind.
Lammers is scoring goals in a League better than ours. He doesn’t fit us certainly but a competent club should absolutely be able to recoup the fee.

We’ve paid 3.3m in the past, he’s won three trophies and a European Finalist. He’s owed at minimum 3m in wages for the rest of his time here. Why did we bother getting a DOF in if we can’t shift a player like that for 5m at least? Celtic seem to do it no problem at all.
Throw his previous heart issues into the mix and I fear he’s not going anywhere.

TBO I wouldn’t be surprised if his cardiac history was the reason he stayed when he wanted to leave then suddenly changed bis mind.

Which players are you clearing out ? How much do you think we would get for each player & how much would this generate for new players for Big Phil?
I would keep McAusland, Yilmaz, Souttar, Dio, Butland and Cortes.

We may need to accept very low offers for players. Say 250k for Ben Davies but this low fee would hopefully allow a club to give them a better signing on fee to counter balance the crazy wages they get at us, probably about 10k more a week than anyone else would offer them. For younger players like Matondo you would accept a low fee with a sell on clause.

A sad, sad state of affairs but just washing our hands of these players and getting them off the wage bill would free up money that we could use to invest in the squad.

Lammers is scoring goals in a League better than ours. He doesn’t fit us certainly but a competent club should absolutely be able to recoup the fee.
He's scoring for Utrecht. Their record transfer fee is £4m.

We'll get absolutely nowhere near that for him.

Also to pick up on your "Celtic do it all the time" point regarding Goldson - the amount of times Celtic have sold a 30+ year old centre half for £5m or more is precisely zero.

It almost never happens. It certainly isn't happening for Goldson.

For a start every single player out of contract has no part to play anymore. Roofe jack barasic mclaughlin to name a few who will be sitting on big wages so get them out

He's scoring for Utrecht. Their record transfer fee is £4m.

We'll get absolutely nowhere near that for him.

Also to pick up on your "Celtic do it all the time" point regarding Goldson - the amount of times Celtic have sold a 30+ year old centre half for £5m or more is precisely zero.

It almost never happens. It certainly isn't happening for Goldson.
There are other clubs in the Netherlands that will be seeing him score those goals.

They shift their “deadwood” on at a profit routinely and Goldson is not deadwood, he has a decent pedigree at Rangers and like I’ve posted regarding Lammers a competent club would be able to sell him for that or thereabouts. The club most likely value him about that as the bulk of any hypothetical 5m fee is simply what he’s due in wages from us.

Your post reinforces the case for a clear out as we most definitely should not be hanging onto a bunch of gutless underperformers that, bynyour own admission, nobody else would pay half-decent money for.

Getting rid of Goldson, Barasic, Lundstram frees up some wages. If the Saudi's see fit to pay a decent fee for Tav, grab the money whilst it's on offer. Cantwell, Lawrence, Roofe, Dowell, Dessers and Raskin might muster 3 or 4 million between them if we can find buyers. Replace them with kids if needs must because there is absolutely no point in clinging on to losers and habitual bottle merchants. The sooner the clear out begins the sooner we may (eventually) see a return to a winning Rangers team.

We need to face up the fact that with the last two results we've blown it . Handed the tims £40 million which would have got us out of this hole now we've dug it even deeper.Automatic C.L qualification has been withdrawn and nobody would want to buy anybody in the current squad . I don't have the answer , just hope the board have.

It’s unrealistic to believe we will have a total clear out this summer
We will get rid of those out of contract and perhaps raise a little money with a couple of sales
Yet again however we end up at this place requiring a team refreshment
Too many passengers in the squad

All the players out of contract and selling goldson, Dessers, Lammers are all musts.

We need a left back. At least one centre back so I personally would prefer to keep tav as building a whole new back 4 and expecting success next year won’t happen. We need to tie up Cortes and sima and we’ll need squad fillers on free transfers.

For me that’s a bare minimum.

People saying £5m for Goldson, a guy who ran his contract down and got no decent offers from England. We're stuck with him.
Let go everyone out of contract .

Reactions: VGM
There are other clubs in the Netherlands that will be seeing him score those goals.

They shift their “deadwood” on at a profit routinely and Goldson is not deadwood, he has a decent pedigree at Rangers and like I’ve posted regarding Lammers a competent club would be able to sell him for that or thereabouts. The club most likely value him about that as the bulk of any hypothetical 5m fee is simply what he’s due in wages from us.
Cannot disagree more on Lammers. I reckon we'd be absolutely delighted to get £2m.

However, I cannot get over this Goldson nonsense you keep spouting.

There's MAYBE 20 centre halves at 31 or older in the history of football to have moved for those sums.

It is NOT happening for a guy deemed no longer good enough to win the SPL. It's so utterly mental.

McLaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Davies, Barisic, Lundstram, Jack, Lawrence, Dowell, Raskin, Matondo, Cantwell, Silva, Wright, Dessers and Roofe.

Don't care if its on a free, they're released or sold. Get rid.

Cannot disagree more on Lammers. I reckon we'd be absolutely delighted to get £2m.

However, I cannot get over this Goldson nonsense you keep spouting.

There's MAYBE 20 centre halves at 31 or older in the history of football to have moved for those sums.

It is NOT happening for a guy deemed no longer good enough to win the SPL. It's so utterly mental.
Okay mate. The main point of my initial post is that we can claw money out of the squad if we are proactive in doing so and with the board taking some responsibility and investing typically what they do each window we should be able to rebuild a stronger but smaller squad if and it’s a big if our new recruitment team appointments are the right people, and selling these players as close to those valuations as possible in the first place is a part of that.

You start by releasing everyone OOC and you concentrate on bringing in players for the starting 11 with whatever finances we have.

It’s going to take 3/4 windows to turnover the squad completely.

All reasonable offer’s accepted.

Okay mate. The main point of my initial post is that we can claw money out of the squad if we are proactive in doing so and with the board taking some responsibility and investing typically what they do each window we should be able to rebuild a stronger but smaller squad if and it’s a big if our new recruitment team appointments are the right people, and selling these players as close to those valuations as possible in the first place is a part of that.

I will flip it around on Goldson he is on £30k pw+ say we get an offer of £1m from Wrexham the maximum he would get there is say £10k! He would say -
A/ Pay up my contract - £3m
B/ GTF I ain't going anywhere

This is the reality nowadays the players can't be forced out he holds all the cards! We either pay a lump sum to him or keep him and the sad thing is we are stuck with him for another 2 years if anyone likes it or not!

This is the same for every season.

The only season we didn't was for 55. We even had it when we were a penalty away from the second biggest trophy in European football.

Bookmark this page.

Even if and that's a massive if, Tavernier et al, play out their skins from now to the 38th game in this league and win the cup, he needs to follow Lundstram, Goldson, Barasic, and plenty others out the door.

Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram will get plenty of time to show us what they're "made of", between now and the last game of the season.

And although it's doubtful they'll have the dig for a few pointless games with a cup semi sandwiched in, even if they do, we need shot a them or it's gonna cost Clement big time.
When you say the 2nd biggest trophy in European football, I assume you mean it's 2nd of the 3 International club tournaments?

I agree with you that 55 stopped us from refreshening the squad and afforded the usual suspects their untouchable status.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

Roofe, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic and McLaughlin leaving probably near 100k a week off the wage bill.

Reckon these fees are realistic and an ambitious DOF and manager would be able to rebuild the squad with that money plus a bit of extra funding from the board.
Nobody is paying £3m for dessers ( Hibs level at best) and you'll be lucky to get £1m for Goldson

We should take fair offers for anyone in the summer, we’ve got too many players in the squad who have proven time and time again they can’t handle the pressure of a title race.

3m Dessers
4m Lammers
1m Lawrence
3m Cantwell
3m Matondo
5m Yilmaz
500k Wright
500k Dowell

I'm sorry but £5m for Connor Goldson? We wont get 500K for him

We've never been ruthless enough to move players on. We held onto McGregor for 2 years when it was clear he was done, then there was McCulloch. There's plenty of other examples

We're repeating the same mistakes

Back