Today saw both the best and worst of us

SDF

First things first, delighted with the three points.

Positives - Both wingers were outstanding. Murphy and DC's willingness to do a shift and track back went a long way to getting us a victory. Really impressed with Murphy so far. As for Candeias he can make your bang your head in pure frustration at times but I'd rather have him than not have him. He's been a great signing at £700k. Holt and Goss both played well but IMO are far too easily outnumbered at times in the middle of the park which is a failing of our system rather than them. Goss' passing is utterly sublime at times. One pass to Murphy in the 1st half was beautiful. Tav continues to get better every week, David Bates looks a completely new player and Martin has settled well. As for Cumdog ? The boy was born to play for us. Brilliant scenes at the goal. We love him and he loves us back. He does the same next week and there will be utter bedlam in the stands!

Negatives - Yet again a failure to kill teams off is our weakness. So many chances to wrap that up, Morelos has to hit the target with his chance first half. Murty's refusal to make changes until it's late on remains a worry. Holt and Goss could be doing with some help in the middle of the park to relieve the burden forced on them.

Another game, another 3 points. We're getting better but I still think we have a needlessly exposed jaw that's susceptible to the sucker punch when it doesn't really need to be.

I dont think it was the worst of us, yes we lost control but i never felt worried we wouldnt get the 3 points

Fair point OP. if Morelos is the top scorer in the division why take him off ? While we have won the last two games we have allowed teams right back in it because we can't finish them off . At sixty minutes the substitution should nphave been Windass for Cummings . We are not the finished article but we are getting better but we are prone to another capitulation

For all his good form previously Windass has fell right out of games of late,Docherty in his place to make a three man midfield would have worked more effectively in that second half particularly today imo.
That said,under both previous managers we'd have probably not won that game today I suspect.

Also delighted with the three points,and the attitude of the players moreso.

Fair point OP. if Morelos is the top scorer in the division why take him off ? While we have won the last two games we have allowed teams right back in it because we can't finish them off . At sixty minutes the substitution should nphave been Windass for Cummings . We are not the finished article but we are getting better but we are prone to another capitulation

I thought Windass was the obvious sub to make for Cummings as well mate.

We're still soft in the middle triangle (Holt, Goss and Windass). Goss was outstanding in the first half and tired badly. Holt's energy is infectious but he is a little short on quality. Josh was missing today and once Goss tired we invited unnecessary pressure.

We are over reliant on the wing combinations Tav /Candy and now John / Murphy. As well as Goss's dead ball delivery.

We are crying out for some creativity to make us tick and make things happen. A young Niko if you will.

We are improving though.

It's was practically a new team out there today, early days as well, but no harm in stopping any bad habits.

Positives - Both wingers were outstanding. Murphy and DC's willingness to do a shift and track back went a long way to getting us a victory. Really impressed with Murphy so far. As for Candeias he can make your bang your head in pure frustration at times but I'd rather have him than not have him. He's been a great signing at £700k. Holt and Goss both played well but IMO are far too easily outnumbered at times in the middle of the park which is a failing of our system rather than them. Goss' passing is utterly sublime at times. One pass to Murphy in the 1st half was beautiful. Tav continues to get better every week, David Bates looks a completely new player and Martin has settled well. As for Cumdog ? The boy was born to play for us. Brilliant scenes at the goal. We love him and he loves us back. He does the same next week and there will be utter bedlam in the stands!

Negatives - Yet again a failure to kill teams off is our weakness. So many chances to wrap that up, Morelos has to hit the target with his chance first half. Murty's refusal to make changes until it's late on remains a worry. Holt and Goss could be doing with some help in the middle of the park to relieve the burden forced on them.

Another game, another 3 points. We're getting better but I still think we have a needlessly exposed jaw that's susceptible to the sucker punch when it doesn't really need to be.
Good call all round. Need to put these teams away. I think Murty waited too long to change things as it looked like we were susceptible to giving up an equalizer. Things worked out, but just.

I would play Goss, Holt and Docherty with Murphy , Candieas and Morelos/Cummings.

If playing Hibs and want 2 attacking players I would consider Goss and Docherty in the middle as they are stronger and less likely to get bullied.

Remember we're a work in progress, the new signings are barely in the door, i think we'll be a solid unit in a few games time once they fully settle in, Alfie needs a rest the wee man has played Football for a year solid, Cumdog should start against Fraserburgh drop Alfie and keep him fresh for Hivs on Saturday.

I still believe the most important player to making our team tick in the middle and ultimately to tick as an entire unit is McCrorie.
Perm anything from the remainder of our squad to play in beside him, and we now have plenty of exciting options,............ but he is the key.

we seem to struggle to get that second goal to give us breathing space. First half we looked dangerous every time we went forward just need to be ruthless and relentless.

Nothing against him but I do not see holt part of our midfield long term. Sure he gets about but his use of the ball is poor, too slight gets pushed off it too easily and doesn’t score goals.

These games are always tough. People can say Ross County are rotten. Against us these teams are completely different and that was a great win today. The team has a few players who have not played for weeks and these players will get better with time so let’s be patient and keep backing the team. The away support today was just amazing again. Sooner we have safe standing and as big a section as possible the better because Ibrox needs it badly.

If you think where we were at back as recent as September, then the difference is night and day. Passing is improving, energy levels improved. We look more dangerous in final third and more direct. But most of all we look like we go on the pitch with a plan in place rather than look like 11 guys meeting for the first time.

Happy the defence can defend now too. Had the new guys been match fit properly, I don't think we would have seen that second half performance.

We're still soft in the middle triangle (Holt, Goss and Windass). Goss was outstanding in the first half and tired badly. Holt's energy is infectious but he is a little short on quality. Josh was missing today and once Goss tired we invited unnecessary pressure.

We are over reliant on the wing combinations Tav /Candy and now John / Murphy. As well as Goss's dead ball delivery.

We are crying out for some creativity to make us tick and make things happen. A young Niko if you will.

We are improving though.

This is only because of injuries (Dorrans, Jack and McCrorie).

When everyone is fit, our midfield will be the strongest part of our team.

This is only because of injuries (Dorrans, Jack and McCrorie).

When everyone is fit, our midfield will be the strongest part of our team.

That's a fair point mate, but I still don't see too much creativity amongst the injured players.

we can be quite bad for getting dragged down to the poorer teams level, they try and make it scrappy and we oblige.

The better the opposition the quicker and more incisive our play seems to be.

For all his good form previously Windass has fell right out of games of late,Docherty in his place to make a three man midfield would have worked more effectively in that second half particularly today imo.
That said,under both previous managers we'd have probably not won that game today I suspect.

Also delighted with the three points,and the attitude of the players moreso.

Completely agree, either Windass ups his game through the competition and the midfield balance comes back or Docherty provides it.

I missed the game today as I was out. Just watched the recording there.

How windass and morelos stayed on as long as they did was baffling for me. But 3 points is the important thing.

Agree on the missed chances front. We really need to put these so called easier games to bed far better than we do.

Be interesting to see where a fit Rossitor and Dorrans fit in. Does one of them replace wee Holt? He has been outstanding recently, he’s merited his place imo.

Today wasn’t the best but 3 points is all that matters.

Forgot about Jack as well.

Last edited:
It's hard to think that we are arguably missing 5 key first team players in Alves, Miller, Jack, Dorrans and Wallace.

Making of a pretty strong squad once all fit and well.

I agree with the OP, we need to be more clinical in front of goal.

I think at times the fear of losing overcomes the will to win and they get nervy and tense. This creates panicky carelessness and leads to more nervy play. Then more mistakes and more nerves .........repeat.

Quite a few times now they get into a rut and can't get themselves out of a downward spiral, ending up with backs to the wall.desperation. Better concentration and a calmer approach will surely come with experience, it's a fairly young squad.

I dont think it was the worst of us, yes we lost control but i never felt worried we wouldnt get the 3 points
Delighted to get the win and I think we'll get stronger once the new guys get up to speed. Dug in well when we had to,although not good for the nerves. In general more positive than negative.

Cummings said at the after game interview that he is not up to match fitness, I would assume that Murphy and Goss are showing the same tiredness and need to be brought up to match fitness

Look back results when Souness was there or any area. Didn't win every game 6-0 we are no different now just same . In sixties with the great team same then. Two teams on the park every team get a chances during a game.

I am very optimistic in which this squad is being assembled . This group of players are young and blessed with a lot of pace which especially recently has been lacking . We have players that are fast and dangerous . There seems to be a real good work ethos and Murty likes setting his team out with a positive thinking. For a very long time this team looks like it's going in the right direction with quality around the pitch which resembles a Rangers team . The future looks bright and the directors and Mark Allen have done well to turn it around so quickly. Onwards to the next game and let's all get behind the club as success is not too far away. WATP

I thought Windass was the obvious sub to make for Cummings as well mate.

Game of opinions but I thought Morelos was the obvious change. He looked tired and it was because of this I think he became a little lazy in possession.

There was a point in the second half that we'd taken a fair bit of pressure and cleared, Morelos picked the ball up on half way and essentially under no pressure tried to force the issue with a pass wide to Candeias with the outside of his right foot. Then minutes later sort of overran an out pass to him and didn't seem to have the energy to change direction thus us being under pressure again.

Whilst Windass flirted around the periphery on the game I thought he remained the better outlet pass. I think Morelos off a little earlier and Docherty replacing him would have suited better and then Windass for Cummings around the 70 minutes mark.

Obviously we all see it slightly different.

Would like to have seen Murty make a couple of changes earlier on than he did,at one nil the longer the game went on the more pressure was on us.

Cummings said at the after game interview that he is not up to match fitness, I would assume that Murphy and Goss are showing the same tiredness and need to be brought up to match fitness
Martin is the same, when they are match fit, and McCrorie is back, we will see a difference.

Either Windass or Murphy should have left the field before Morelos and Goss.

Not sure we will get the best out of Cummings playing up top by himself as his work rate is nowhere near that of Morelos, took his goal really well running from the halfway line and a superb finish though.

Would love to see us go back to a diamond with Windass at the tip with Cummings & wee Freddo up top. That would mean dropping one of Holt, Candias, Murphy or Goss.

Too often we struggle in the 2nd half of games, though I am happy with the win, perhaps as our confidence grows with more wins our 2nd half jitters will be overcome. Can't wait for the HIV's visit.

It looks like someone has had a word in Morelos' ear about his reaction to being substituted.

He applauded the fans this time, as opposed to looking like he was going to burst oot greetin or smash someone's head in last week.

I would still love to see Cummings up front WITH Morelos though.

Either Windass or Murphy should have left the field before Morelos and Goss.

Not sure we will get the best out of Cummings playing up top by himself as his work rate is nowhere near that of Morelos, took his goal really well running from the halfway line and a superb finish though.

Would love to see us go back to a diamond with Windass at the tip with Cummings & wee Freddo up top. That would mean dropping one of Holt, Candias, Murphy or Goss.

That’s the thing though SB. Which one of the four would you drop. ? They are all playing well. Holt and Candeias do some amount of work and Goss and Murphy are just getting up to match fitness and both are an improvement on what we had before the shutdown

totally agree with OP felt murty needed to make changes earlier in the game, cummings only got 14-15 minutes towards the end,
first half we absolutely dominated and should have had more than a single goal lead, different second half completely and went a bit stale at about 55-65 mins where we should have made the changes,
think this is down to murty still getting the hang of being first team boss and with time and experience, he sees this more clearly

thought it was a decent performance. i dont think its us struggling to beat the "wee teams" i just think its us struggling to beat team who have 10 behind the ball. But with the new signings im sure well get better with more flair players who can go past players.

We were at our best when we managed to play quick, one touch stuff and moved swiftly to support it. That type of game really shows the gulf in class between us and the lower teams. We need more of that and it will come with familiarity and some of our older heads coming back into things. The work rate was excellent though, particularly Candeias and Murphy, as mentioned by the OP. Wonderful to see that attitude.

We were at our best when we managed to play quick, one touch stuff and moved swiftly to support it. That type of game really shows the gulf in class between us and the lower teams. We need more of that and it will come with familiarity and some of our older heads coming back into things. The work rate was excellent though, particularly Candeias and Murphy, as mentioned by the OP. Wonderful to see that attitude.
Murphy put in a great shift as did Candeias.

What we need to start doing is being ruthless when we are on top.

We were so far ahead in the first 35 minutes we should have been 3-0 up at least.

Thing is ,this has been going on for some time now , even going back to Warburton .

We need to snap out of it and start killing teams off when we are so far on top.

Last edited:
Adding guys like Docherty, Murphy and Cummings, all who possess the ability to change a game, is a huge plus.

It’s that strength in depth we’ve lacked and been all the poorer for.

It just needs Murty to respond quicker to in game questions.

Back